"Big Name" Staff

It's interesting that you point out that 80% of achievement is reached by less than 20% of the population because as a big bad bari from BD, without the 20% of your corps that are screaming trumpets you as a bari would be lumped in with the under-achievers you seem to despise.

No lead sops - no DCI rings for your over-achieving group. I know I'm going to hear it from my son who played contra in BD, but this brother the trumpet undoubtedly agrees.

This. :worthy:

• Like 2

This. :worthy:

I want to go on record here as always considering Craiga here to be one of the " big name staff " in Drum Corps. ( well, at least in the large number of big vowels in his name anyway. ) Hey Craig, hows the weather in Maine today ? Have you Mainiacs waxed the skis down yet with any snow this weekend ? ( haha)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

In Your Opinion... But please let me remind you that 80% of achievement is reached by less than 20% of the population. If there were none that think like me, then all corps would get a feel good trophy and a pat on the behind and sent on their way... I personally thank god for DCI and the competition that exists within its structure. It does not reward under achievers and it does reward those who go for the brass ring. It is much like the real world where we send our kids... completely unprepared for its ruthlessness! So IMO... thank goodness that we are not all mamby pamby feel gooders like some here seem to be! :devil:

"Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything." VL

• Like 2

Ok Ok... So what I am seeing here is that there is a pile on, when someone utters that winning is ok, and it is fine to try to do so? Hmmmmm no wonder the world only has a few achievers... Most are eluded by the concept...

Incientally it is not the end all or be all of existance to win... But it is worth it enough to put in consistant and directed effort each and every time you attempt something. If you are not reaching upwardly... you are heading in the other direction! :devil:

BTW: I am extremely proud of my BD family for their efforts this season... I loved their show and their tenacity! They ended up feeling like winners this season. (all except for the Jewlery)

Mamby Pamby cannot be masked... It lives here on DCP!!! Lose away folks... Do not let me stand in your way! :thumbup:

1) You're right. (See bolded.)

2) I am a two-time World Champion military driller. I coach a National Championship JROTC drill team program. I know how to win. I also marched a corps that did and did not make Finals. I know how to lose.

There is nothing wrong with WINNING or WANTING to win. There ARE right and wrong ways to win and lose. Crying because you have failed after placing second is NOT the right way to win. I challenge you to defend that it is.

Losing takes grace but winning takes more grace than losing.

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 3

Blue Devils is exhibit A, let me illustrate.

When Tom Float left BD the 91 preseaon, most of the drumline bailed, some audition for Cadets, while others took the year off or went elsewhere. The percussion became BD's achilles heal from 1991 through 93. Look up the scores to see for yourself. Meanwhile Scott Johnson was killing it with SCV and Float/Rennick had percussion machine in VK. When ScoJo came on board to the Blue Devils in 1994, BD not only won high percussion, they won the title. I know folks who thought about going to SCV or VK went to BD. They even had some ex-Phantom Regiment and Star of Indiana members join the drumline. Once people who flocked to VK/SCV realized that BD is a contender, the rest is history.

• Like 1

The 80/20 rule applies to lots in life and business. Example: 80% of revenues comes from 20% of clients.

Interestingly, the rule applies to BD as well.

BBB would have us believe that BD attracts all the winners but, buy his own logic, 80% of BD MM's are "losers" as well.