DCA OPEN CLASS FINALS

ok your 1st statement...then why are you in a competition or having a prelims

Right now the present structure (to me) serves to gives everyone a chance to see corps from all over the country who they dont usually get to see and like in any tournament see who is the best over the duration of the tournament. Positions do change from day 1 to day 2 (not much admittedly but that is a product of the present day subjectiveness of judging) and groups get more than one shot to put their best show on the field. So prelims is not just to see who the top 10 are but to give the groups a chance to jockey a little. For this second objective which for me is the more important one, a higher number in finals makes it more sporting. (for lack of a better term.)

The truth is that prelims arent really necessary in any way in an activity where everyone can compete against everyone else in the same event. They could simply start the show an hour earlier and run everyone through and declare the national champions. But a true tournament provides the opportunity for corps to max out their show or even fail on the second day. The tournament model doesnt fail because there are less participants.

Right now the present structure (to me) serves to gives everyone a chance to see corps from all over the country who they dont usually get to see and like in any tournament see who is the best over the duration of the tournament. Positions do change from day 1 to day 2 (not much admittedly but that is a product of the present day subjectiveness of judging) and groups get more than one shot to put their best show on the field. So prelims is not just to see who the top 10 are but to give the groups a chance to jockey a little. For this second objective which for me is the more important one, a higher number in finals makes it more sporting. (for lack of a better term.)

The truth is that prelims arent really necessary in any way in an activity where everyone can compete against everyone else in the same event. They could simply start the show an hour earlier and run everyone through and declare the national champions. But a true tournament provides the opportunity for corps to max out their show or even fail on the second day. The tournament model doesnt fail because there are less participants.

i see your point...just doesnt seem like a contest..as far as being able to see more, as another poster said many are still running from Bars to get to see the top 5......but pne thing you said ..maybe prelims isnt necessary...now I can buy that with the # of corps competiting

j...again I will ask what kind of a prelims is it when youve beat almost nooone or only 1 corps.......not much of a contest there

Using that reasoning the only corps that can truly feel a sense of accomplishment are the 4-5 who beat lots of corps as opposed to the bottom 3 who would have beaten much fewer. In any case the final outcome does not determine whether something was a contest or not. Numbers 9 and 10 may have only ended beating 1 or 2 corps but by virtue of getting the chance to perform in the finals the possibility still existed that they would improve their position.

Using that reasoning the only corps that can truly feel a sense of accomplishment are the 4-5 who beat lots of corps as opposed to the bottom 3 who would have beaten much fewer. In any case the final outcome does not determine whether something was a contest or not. Numbers 9 and 10 may have only ended beating 1 or 2 corps but by virtue of getting the chance to perform in the finals the possibility still existed that they would improve their position.

not saying that at all..I will ask one more time...then why a prelims...maybe there should also be some guideline for being OC also and if you are clearly not OC then you get put into A just like you would be taken out of A and put in OC...now theres a can of worms.....lol

not saying that at all..I will ask one more time...then why a prelims...maybe there should also be some guideline for being OC also and if you are clearly not OC then you get put into A just like you would be taken out of A and put in OC...now theres a can of worms.....lol

Well what would we do if we couldnt discuss drum corps?? lol

What is gained by that? Doesnt seem to me to be the act of an organization that wants to grow. Seriously why have Nationals at all?

Well by the nature of this activity its competition driven. And at some point DCA has to decide or draw a line in the sand on what corps are finalist and which are not.

Looking at the DCI side of things there are what like 20+ corps? And they whittle it down to what 12 on finals night?

Using that method of finalist status your looking at about 50% of the corps get in and 50% sit out. If DCA were to apply that same method that would be a top 6 for finals. Looking at the Class A side of things if we added 2 more final spots for a total of 5 we would have 11 corps on finals night.

• Like 1

not saying that at all..I will ask one more time...then why a prelims

Simple answer there.

Another ticket to sell. Im sure DCA and the corps that receive benefit from DCA revenue count on this money to get through the season.

Follow the money.:)

Edited by camel lips

Simple answer there.

Another ticket to sell. Im sure DCA and the corps that receive benefit from DCA revenue count on this money to get through the season.

Follow the money.:)

I think that's the second most important reason behind the first one: performance opportunity.

I think that's the second most important reason behind the first one: performance opportunity.

I agree.

While everyone would like to maximize the performance opportunity for two shows at Championships not everyone can.

I hate that not everyone can but there are time constraints packing in so much on such a short weekend.

Next year with hopefully more corps in open class they can go with the top 10 for open class and its no longer a issues. If we keep flirting with 11/12 corps then I think DCA needs to look at it and take appropriate steps to correct it.

As DCA is now an (inter)national championship, with all of the corps never seeing all of the competition,............. things can change from prelims to finals, sometimes drastically simply due to the lack of exposure to each other,.....................take a look at 2002, Inspires jumped from 8th to 5th,....................which is truely where they belonged in that finals contest,..........