DCA OPEN CLASS FINALS

When did they do that? I don't remember any exhibitions other than the Open Class/Div2/Div3/Class A champ opening the show.

I remember a few times inthe 80's they did that.

and I'm not missing the point Guardling. DCA DID eliminate a corps from prelims. Should they justhave let Bush in like in 93? maybe.

but it aint broken

I remember a few times inthe 80's they did that.

and I'm not missing the point Guardling. DCA DID eliminate a corps from prelims. Should they justhave let Bush in like in 93? maybe.

but it aint broken

jeff are you reading my entire posts?..I said I didnt say Bush should be in..I said it seems crazy to elimate 1 corps....elimate maybe 3 or whatever....read it all ......its not broke...again I will ask what kind of a prelims is it when youve beat almost nooone or only 1 corps.......not much of a contest there

jeff are you reading my entire posts?..I said I didnt say Bush should be in..I said it seems crazy to elimate 1 corps....elimate maybe 3 or whatever....read it all ......its not broke...again I will ask what kind of a prelims is it when youve beat almost nooone or only 1 corps.......not much of a contest there

I am reading your entire posts.

if we had less than 10, I'd say change it. we don't, so keep it. seeing ow the scores for Bush and TBT were what...a point or so different...thats competitive

Edited by Jeff Ream

I am reading your entire posts.

if we had less than 10, I'd say change it. we don't, so keep it. seeing ow the scores for Bush and TBT were what...a point or so different...thats competitive

ok we agree to disagree.....................maybe neither belonged on OC..there i said it..thats a whole other subject I suspect.......... flamers flame on...lol

PS: not a Bush hater here at all..in fact the opposite..lets just get that straight...lol :rolleyes:

personally doesnt matter much if DCA changes it or not to me ..Just asked a question and mostly all Ive got back is it aint broke.. NOT MUCH OF AN explanation there

Edited by GUARDLING

When we had 13 and 14 open class corps it made somewhat sense to have a top 10.

Now with just 11 corps it seems pretty senseless just to do what we have done the last two years and have the same 11 corps perform on finals night. Why have prelims if your not gonna exclude anyone??

I think DCA is gonna have to address this at some point but not next year. Assuming that all the current open class corps stay in tact,,don't get busted up by another corps coming onto the scene or moving down to class A. Its speculated right now that we are going to see at least 3 other open class corps come onto the scene. Cadets 2, Kidsgrove and Brigs restructuring. If those three get added back into the mix it will probably resort back to the top 10 and all will be right in the universe.

If we lose some corps in open or those 3 corps never come to fruition then it will probably be time to consider closing the ranks of open class finals to top 8 or something.

Edited by camel lips

When we had 13 and 14 open class corps it made somewhat sense to have a top 10.

Now with just 11 corps it seems pretty senseless just to do what we have done the last two years and have the same 11 corps perform on finals night. Why have prelims if your not gonna exclude anyone??

I think DCA is gonna have to address this at some point but not next year. Assuming that all the current open class corps stay in tact,,don't get busted up by another corps coming onto the scene or moving down to class A. Its speculated right now that we are going to see at least 3 other open class corps come onto the scene. Cadets 2, Kidsgrove and Brigs restructuring. If those three get added back into the mix it will probably resort back to the top 10 and all will be right in the universe.

If we lose some corps in open or those 3 corps never come to fruition then it will probably be time to consider closing the ranks of open class finals to top 8 or something.

thank you...finally some sense ...or at least a defense in opinion....thank you :smile:

Im not getting this whole have to perform twice thing. Sure I understand how it would suck not to be in finals and costly But hey IT'S CALLED COMPETITION....get better at it...gezzzzzz...every form winter or summer has a prelims...isnt a prelims to cut out those not competitively up to a standard out of finals? Otherwise dont have a prelims at all........why not go to a dumb evaluatuion system where no scores are give ( like a few band circuirts around the coutry ) merely because some school systems dont want their kids hurt by competition and everyone gets a shiney toy to take home.......People are afraid that C2 will change things...Hell its changed already..wheres the fight and guts and competitive blood baths of yester year..............wheres the feeling of accomplishment if you make a finals and have beaten nooone.....well I guess to some it s doesnt matter as long as they can write FINALISTS on a web site :blink: ..........JMO..and I am glad Kilties are in ( to other poster ) they should have been in years that they didnt make it

Its about what was said awhile back about what does being in finals mean to some people. Some want to reduce the number of finalists which confuses me. Apparently to them it means that in order for them to feel elite they have to exclude others who meet criteria which were formerly valid for inclusion. Whether 7-10 perform in the night show or not, 1 thru 6 arent going to be any more elite than they already are. Excluding other corps doesnt enhance them. Its a very strange mindset to me that there are some for whom being a top corps is not enough unless it means they can prevent other corps from even getting to compete.

I assume there will come a day when the economy turns around or some other demographic shift occurs and there will once again be more corps competing in Open Class prelims. Narrowing the amount of corps that compete in finals will as has already been said, guarantee that some corps are not going to spend the money to participate. If one goes back to the VFW days for junior corps, you immediately note that most years no more than 18-20 corps actually made the trip to VFW Nationals at a time where there were probably 250+ corps competing in their local circuits.. Cost is a prohibiting factor in this activity, both Sr and Jr. If you add the certainty that someone is going to come from a considerable distance and not have any chance at finals, then there is a much higher likelihood they will not make the effort.

Its about what was said awhile back about what does being in finals mean to some people. Some want to reduce the number of finalists which confuses me. Apparently to them it means that in order for them to feel elite they have to exclude others who meet criteria which were formerly valid for inclusion. Whether 7-10 perform in the night show or not, 1 thru 6 arent going to be any more elite than they already are. Excluding other corps doesnt enhance them. Its a very strange mindset to me that there are some for whom being a top corps is not enough unless it means they can prevent other corps from even getting to compete.

I assume there will come a day when the economy turns around or some other demographic shift occurs and there will once again be more corps competing in Open Class prelims. Narrowing the amount of corps that compete in finals will as has already been said, guarantee that some corps are not going to spend the money to participate. If one goes back to the VFW days for junior corps, you immediately note that most years no more than 18-20 corps actually made the trip to VFW Nationals at a time where there were probably 250+ corps competing in their local circuits.. Cost is a prohibiting factor in this activity, both Sr and Jr. If you add the certainty that someone is going to come from a considerable distance and not have any chance at finals, then there is a much higher likelihood they will not make the effort.

ok your 1st statement...then why are you in a competition or having a prelims

I cant believe that any system would have to accomonadate someone who HAS TO BE IN FINALS TO TRAVEL..thats not a competition its a social club and if thats what you want fine ..just call a spade a spade

Edited by GUARDLING

What is gained by that? Doesnt seem to me to be the act of an organization that wants to grow. Seriously why have Nationals at all?

What is gained by that? Doesnt seem to me to be the act of an organization that wants to grow. Seriously why have Nationals at all?

what growth...just to say you were in a finals...deserved or not? You ask why have a nationals..youre right there especially if theres no contest...sorry JMO