What will happen in 2012?

skeptic

The only change the Cabs need to make to their uniform IMO is to go back to the original. Why? Several reasons. The original pants were not bibs but high rise trousers. Talking to the Cabs Alumni director I learned that they were based off of the Navy. They were bell bottoms with a kick pleat added so they were wider and the fact that they were trousers made it so the shirt tucked in and the pant line sat above the belly button. That made the cummerbund sit higher thus giving the illusion of the wearer being taller. I know this because the same thing happened with the Skyliners while I was in charge of uniforms. When we went back to the traditional jacket in 2002 we kept the bibs so there was no reference for the wearer and the tops ended up being too long making everyone look short.

The kick pleat actually hides the details of the feet. As long as everyone is in step it works to hide whether someone is rolling their feet or not because the pleats all move together. (As a side note, I really observed Cabs this year and their marching is greatly improved on the last couple.) As long as the pleat sits where it should and not 3 inches up the leg (a common problem with all bib pants) then it is an advantage.

The only change the Cabs need to make to their uniform IMO is to go back to the original. Why? Several reasons. The original pants were not bibs but high rise trousers. Talking to the Cabs Alumni director I learned that they were based off of the Navy. They were bell bottoms with a kick pleat added so they were wider and the fact that they were trousers made it so the shirt tucked in and the pant line sat above the belly button. That made the cummerbund sit higher thus giving the illusion of the wearer being taller. I know this because the same thing happened with the Skyliners while I was in charge of uniforms. When we went back to the traditional jacket in 2002 we kept the bibs so there was no reference for the wearer and the tops ended up being too long making everyone look short.

The kick pleat actually hides the details of the feet. As long as everyone is in step it works to hide whether someone is rolling their feet or not because the pleats all move together. (As a side note, I really observed Cabs this year and their marching is greatly improved on the last couple.) As long as the pleat sits where it should and not 3 inches up the leg (a common problem with all bib pants) then it is an advantage.

Agreed.

But after watching Cabs from the last row up top at prelims and the first row at finals.... I can see where problems come in. Close up you can see the foot timing, but from up top you just see the swing on the bell bottoms. If were to adjust the uniforms I would make the flare on the pants alot smaller and add a red triangle to give the pleated look without the wild swing of the bell bottom of the pants.

Just my $0.02

Agreed.

But after watching Cabs from the last row up top at prelims and the first row at finals.... I can see where problems come in. Close up you can see the foot timing, but from up top you just see the swing on the bell bottoms. If were to adjust the uniforms I would make the flare on the pants alot smaller and add a red triangle to give the pleated look without the wild swing of the bell bottom of the pants.

Just my $0.02

the uniform in todays drum corps causes many issues from the pants to the stark white top...make the flare any size you want and it still jumps out and screams .....look at my feet......its the reason madison got rid of the spats and corps who had black pants and white bucks dropped that look. this also isnt recent , the corps has talked about such issues as far back as the late 80s and 90s

Edited by GUARDLING

I think there will be many horses in the race, but the same two will be out in front.

I think equally important as design is timely preparation. The Bucs devoted themselves more than most corps for many years in terms of the time they spend and the early preparation. I was surprised to see how many corps still wait so long to get their basic material learned and fill their corps out. I dont care how good the members are, if you are allowing members to wait until may or june to join up, its just not going to be the same as having someone in that spot from Membership Day until the end.

I predict an almost identical outcome.

Again, this is not to say there are not more than two "Good" corps, but at this point in our history there are only 2 solid championship level corps surrounded by some very good corps and a few "Commons".

I agree Vic!

I also think there may be another corps coming up that is old/yet new. I'll wait to see what happens in the next 2 months.

I think there will be many horses in the race, but the same two will be out in front.

I think equally important as design is timely preparation. The Bucs devoted themselves more than most corps for many years in terms of the time they spend and the early preparation. I was surprised to see how many corps still wait so long to get their basic material learned and fill their corps out. I dont care how good the members are, if you are allowing members to wait until may or june to join up, its just not going to be the same as having someone in that spot from Membership Day until the end.

Again, this is not to say there are not more than two "Good" corps, but at this point in our history there are only 2 solid championship level corps surrounded by some very good corps and a few "Commons".

You know that isn't by design, it's just the way things have become for quite a few groups. There was a time not too long ago where Reading went through some of the same issues.

You know that isn't by design, it's just the way things have become for quite a few groups. There was a time not too long ago where Reading went through some of the same issues.

Agreed. I'm don't think I have ever heard a corps administrator say- No... lets wait until May/June before we fill people into the ranks. I'm sure every corps is hoping to have a full corps the day of open house and keep every member through the whole year but in todays age that just doesn't happen anymore. Every corps, except for a select few (the Bucs comes to mind), has been struggling to keep people in the ranks through-out the year.

The Bucs devoted themselves more than most corps for many years in terms of the time they spend and the early preparation.

This is not really an accurate statement. I can think of at least 7 other drum corps that put in just as much time- if not a little more, in terms of planing and preparation. And since a lot of the meetings during the off season are behind closed doors, how would anyone really know who does more work?

One of the factors that has helped the Bucs be so successful over the last few years is that people are beating down the doors to get into the program. Prospective members are passing 2,3,4... other drum corps to audition for Reading. AND- besides some family conflicts through-out the year, I hear that Reading has a very consistent membership that show up at every rehearsal. That's the big difference right there. If 80% of your membership is making every rehearsal than your going to have a more productive off season than the others. Winning the championship for 6 straight years is a BIG recruiting tool- and they have earned it.

If anything- this opens up a bigger question which is- Why are some corps having problems getting some of their members to return between camps?

But don't think that other corps aren't working equally as hard to plan for the upcoming year. If nothing else, corps like Empire, Hurcs, Cabs, and Fusion have to work a little harder because they don't have members beating down their door every camp. I'm not saying they don't have consistent attendance, but I'm sure they aren't planing to go out in June and have 10 holes either.

Give these other corps some credit. It's very hard to find people in July who are willing to come in and learn your program in a few weeks.

Edited by irishbugle

Give these other corps some credit. It's very hard to find people in July who are willing to come in and learn your program in a few weeks.

Agree. I was fortunate to do this a few times. But I don't think it works well today with the increased drill demand. And, I can't agree more about consistent attendance at rehearsals. It will make or break your season. And if you tolerate poor attendance it is has a huge impact on overall morale.

Agreed. I'm don't think I have ever heard a corps administrator say- No... lets wait until May/June before we fill people into the ranks. I'm sure every corps is hoping to have a full corps the day of open house and keep every member through the whole year but in todays age that just doesn't happen anymore. Every corps, except for a select few (the Bucs comes to mind), has been struggling to keep people in the ranks through-out the year.

This is not really an accurate statement. I can think of at least 7 other drum corps that put in just as much time- if not a little more, in terms of planing and preparation. And since a lot of the meetings during the off season are behind closed doors, how would anyone really know who does more work?

One of the factors that has helped the Bucs be so successful over the last few years is that people are beating down the doors to get into the program. Prospective members are passing 2,3,4... other drum corps to audition for Reading. AND- besides some family conflicts through-out the year, I hear that Reading has a very consistent membership that show up at every rehearsal. That's the big difference right there. If 80% of your membership is making every rehearsal than your going to have a more productive off season than the others. Winning the championship for 6 straight years is a BIG recruiting tool- and they have earned it.

If anything- this opens up a bigger question which is- Why are some corps having problems getting some of their members to return between camps?

But don't think that other corps aren't working equally as hard to plan for the upcoming year. If nothing else, corps like Empire, Hurcs, Cabs, and Fusion have to work a little harder because they don't have members beating down their door every camp. I'm not saying they don't have consistent attendance, but I'm sure they aren't planing to go out in June and have 10 holes either.

Buca had people showing up before the win streak began though...winning alone didn't do that.

it's not how much time you put it, it's how youuse that time. working hard does not always equal working smart.