Cadets 2

quick question...

wasn't he pushing for 3 valve brass back in the day? So maybe he would have been more forward thinking than people want to admit?

1976 DCA program (still in the basement) has an interview with Hy Drietzer saying that he (Hy) didn't care how many valves as long as it stayed in G. And thought 1976 right before DCA was right for Lefty passing away but wasn't 100%.

On topic: If interest in C2 brings in people who normally wouldn't march DCA it's a BIG win. I'll say it if no one else has, lot of corps in the NE are getting smaller than in years past. Mebbe more Jr based people will take a look and march, even if it isn't C2. Edit: Mebbe more butts in the stands too....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You do when it's been 35+ years.

What a sad and insensitive comment

Frank,

The sad thing is you are definitely not too old for today's DCA, along with a lot of other 'senior' members of many corps, but if the activity actually moves more towards a faster paced, higher physical demand it may mean a lot of very good drum corps folks won't have the stamina and/or young enough body joints to handle the pace.

However, there are two positive possibilities.

Maybe it will mean the birth of more alumni corps, or a return to larger memberships and higher quality in some alumni corps who are having trouble keeping memberships high.

Or here's one for you..............I've always thought there should be a competitive "senior circuit" like they have in golf. It could be called the DCA "masters" division. Like in some sports leagues (hockey, baseball) members would have to be 'at or over' a certain age to march. This division would have similar rules to DCA Open and Class A, except for some modifications. For example (and I'm just throwing out random thoughts here), no tempos over 150 bpm unless at a standstill. Box scores that had plus points for actual straight lines. Maybe even bring back the starting and finishing lines, and/or colour presentation! No original compositions in the music book. It wouldn't be a complete return to 60-70's drum corps, but rather an effort to retain some of the more traditional features.

There could be some good things for DCA out of this too. If DCA is losing some of its audience because some people don't like the DCI model and think DCA is moving in that direction, having a couple of "masters" corps competing in the show line-up would keep the dinosaurs around.

By the way, I'm a big fan of all drum corps styles (although I do admit to often tuning out when a corps' whole book is original compositions) so I'm not anti DCI or the current trend in DCA. I enjoy them all, but I'd also like to see more of the old style drum corps and as good as alumni corps are, making a competitive circuit could add some excitement.

Just thinking out of the box, so to speak!!

Not sure what your age in would be for this masters division, but IMO there is already calumniate corps for this. I don't see it bringing butts to the seats either. If that were the case there would be as many people at the alumni spectacular as at prelims and finas.

While there are people who want to see that style of show, IMO the limited numbers don't support the foundations of a division for the same. Financially I think it would be a sinking ship.

Not sure what your age in would be for this masters division, but IMO there is already calumniate corps for this. I don't see it bringing butts to the seats either. If that were the case there would be as many people at the alumni spectacular as at prelims and finas.

While there are people who want to see that style of show, IMO the limited numbers don't support the foundations of a division for the same. Financially I think it would be a sinking ship.

yep..yep

We agree on so much these days :smile:

What a sad and insensitive comment

well...no.

I mean yes drum corps misses him and his influence is still found.

but if you grieve and allow yourself to wonder what if 35 years later, stagnation sets in.

Look, I miss my grandmother terribly. A few times I've wondered if she would have liked my wife. But she died in1997, and I know full well if I sat around a lot wondering what if, she'd kick my ###.

• Like 1

agreed. this type of crowd is what stillc ame to Harrisburg for Serenade...and that crowd is dying off. Few alumni corps out there so shows in the styles of 80s or 90s, which is, IMO, where alumni corps are going to have to start targeting

Cadets2 is not going to radically change the game, nor is Hopkins going to single handedly take over DCA. If anything, both are going to find out DCA is an entirely different beast due to the personalities and time constraints of a DCA schedule, and if anything, may have some learning curves to go thru to get caught up.

Yes.

And by the way, what is "DCI style", and why do you presume Cadets2 will pursue that style? DCI and DCA have different judging criteria, different rehearsal schedules, and different rules for allowable equipment. For those reasons, DCA corps don't make the exact same design decisions that DCI corps do.

Also yes.

Why is everybody so up in arms about a corps that DOESN'T EVEN EXIST YET? Seriously. I can't believe all this hype over a corps that has no members, show design, or even a style of its own, etc... Yes they will have a younger average age than most other senior corps, SO WHAT? Let me run down the perspective members for Cadets2. Kids that aren't ready for a junior corps yet, kids that can't afford to march in a junior corps, kids that can't sacrifice junior corps time but still want to march somewhere, or kids that just like what DCA has to offer and feel that is more "their speed".... sound like anyone else you know??? Maybe EVERY OTHER corps in DCA? The only thing missing is the kids that are too old to march in DCA, and by elimintating that from their talent pool I promise you they are missing out. Example: this year's bassline at Empire had a combined 19 years of drum corps experience with an average age of 22. I would have put them up against any other line in DCA and openly requested to do so right here on DCP. Of those 5 guys only 2 would be eligible to march in Cadets2 next season. Two are too old and one is too young. Cadets2 will be putting istelf at a disadvantage with its age restrictions, in my opinion.

I heave heard people predict them winning next year or even coming in top 4. Based on what? Hype. Incredible. This corps doesn't even have a reputation to precede it, but from reading on these boards you never know that. We will see what next year brings. While I am NOT a Cadets fan nor a fan of Hopkins I see this as a GOOD thing. First, we have one more corps, and one that is likely to put a quality product out. It will at least be interesting to see these guys take a stab at it. Some of C2's mebership will eventually move on to the Cadets, some will not. They will all see this other circuit of drum corps and many may not have even realized DCA existsed. They may get a few years in with C2 and ultimatley "age out". They may then want to continue marching and they'll realize that Cabs, Bush, Reading, et al are right around the corner (or possible closer). A win for the "other guys"! Some of them may march their first season with C2 and see the Caballeros for the first time. Then after that season they may want nothing more in the world than to march in a show with Hawthorne. The possiblities are endless and in the end C2 is bringing a new wave of drum corps people to DCA. Maybe I'm out of my mind, but I am excited for this new corps.

• Like 4