Cadets 2

agreed. this type of crowd is what stillc ame to Harrisburg for Serenade...and that crowd is dying off. Few alumni corps out there so shows in the styles of 80s or 90s, which is, IMO, where alumni corps are going to have to start targeting

To which some will be up in arms over too. It won't be alumni corps to them. It will be too modern.

• Like 2

What a sad and insensitive comment

Sigh. You simply do not get it. Honor the man. Honer his accomplishments. Put in a video tape and revel in what DCA was like when he was around. And when you've done all that, acknowledge that neither the world, nor DCA is anywhere close to the same now was it was then. That's when you move on.

If you don't, the only one contributing the possible death of the activity is you.

• Like 2

To which some will be up in arms over too. It won't be alumni corps to them. It will be too modern.

LOL, read a few comments that came close to "that ain't Drum Corps" with some of our stuff. Think problem was a number that was rock based (but played by one or two corps early 70s) and one that is more concert band based and is in the (Heavens Forbid :devil: ) Cadets folder (Bocook arranged it). (answer below)

Problem would be finding a corps that was around 80s/90s willing to come out and "play". Look around at the current Alumnis and figure out when the competing corps folded (when applicable). Besides Westshore, Cabs and Buccs having problem thinking of a mid-80s to90s corps that is Alumni now. And with DCI and DCA getting away from having a local base going to be harder for ex-members to get together to start a new Alumni group.

OK: Two numbers were "Get It On" and "Patriotic Medley".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Sigh. You simply do not get it. Honor the man. Honer his accomplishments. Put in a video tape and revel in what DCA was like when he was around. And when you've done all that, acknowledge that neither the world, nor DCA is anywhere close to the same now was it was then. That's when you move on.

If you don't, the only one contributing the possible death of the activity is you.

I was commenting on Lefty's leadership abilities ... and I don't wonder "what if" ... I know how Lefty would have reacted to this thread ... he would embrace the inclusion of C2 and so do I ... I have never eluded to anything else ... and with that, I'll leave this exchange ...

• Like 2

Then those corps will die, and few will even care.

Before I go any further, I want to make one thing very clear...I have noting but respect and appreciation for what alumni corps then their members do. They get to perform, and in some way keep alive drum corps of the distant past. I get that, and again, respect and appreciate it.

That being said, alumni corps as a whole has absolutely no appeal to me at all. I am 43 years old. I marched DCI from 1984-1989 (after being a fan for two years or so). After teaching in the 90's, I marched DCA in 2004 and 2005. Current alumni corps, save one, do absolutely nothing for me. I'm simply not interested in seeing and hearing them perform, but I get that others do. And that's cool.

The only corps that appeals to me at all, that I go out of my way to see and hear, and would ever consider joining, is the Bridgemen. Why? Because they are the only corps that is relevant to my interests. And believe this....I am not alone. The number of folks that feel like I do is legion.

If the rest of the alumni corps don't evolve and cater to a younger crowd, they will die. The competing corps are learning this lesson (some better than others).

I'm sure that there are many who will be insulted by this and think I'm the devil. That's fine. If they refuse to open their eyes and ears to the truth, neither I or anyone else can do much for 'em.

Side note: I also recognize that the Reading Alumni play music that spans the entire history of the corps. That makes them very enjoyable as well, especially considering I am an alumnus of the competing corps. Cabs Alumni also have been enjoyable to me at times, they have something the other alumni corps, save Bridgemen, don't have. Timeless appeal and the ability to perform at a higher level.

• Like 3

Then those corps will die, and few will even care.

Before I go any further, I want to make one thing very clear...I have noting but respect and appreciation for what alumni corps then their members do. They get to perform, and in some way keep alive drum corps of the distant past. I get that, and again, respect and appreciate it.

That being said, alumni corps as a whole has absolutely no appeal to me at all. I am 43 years old. I marched DCI from 1984-1989 (after being a fan for two years or so). After teaching in the 90's, I marched DCA in 2004 and 2005. Current alumni corps, save one, do absolutely nothing for me. I'm simply not interested in seeing and hearing them perform, but I get that others do. And that's cool.

The only corps that appeals to me at all, that I go out of my way to see and hear, and would ever consider joining, is the Bridgemen. Why? Because they are the only corps that is relevant to my interests. And believe this....I am not alone. The number of folks that feel like I do is legion.

If the rest of the alumni corps don't evolve and cater to a younger crowd, they will die. The competing corps are learning this lesson (some better than others).

I'm sure that there are many who will be insulted by this and think I'm the devil. That's fine. If they refuse to open their eyes and ears to the truth, neither I or anyone else can do much for 'em.

Side note: I also recognize that the Reading Alumni play music that spans the entire history of the corps. That makes them very enjoyable as well, especially considering I am an alumnus of the competing corps. Cabs Alumni also have been enjoyable to me at times, they have something the other alumni corps, save Bridgemen, don't have. Timeless appeal and the ability to perform at a higher level.

I sure hope all of the Alumni corp's are hearing whats's being said.If Alumni corps don't start doing 80's and 90's / modern style shows.You guy's will not be around very long.There are so many ex drum corps members that marched in the 80's and 90's that want to march in an Alumni corps right now,but don't due to the current style of show the corps are putting on the field.It also wouldn't hurt to compete for scores and a championship.There are more of us out there,that are waiting for this to happen than you think.I talk to them all the time.this would be a win win !! for DCA and Alumni corps as well.And that's the truth.Hope you guy's are listening.

I sure hope all of the Alumni corp's are hearing whats's being said.If Alumni corps don't start doing 80's and 90's / modern style shows.You guy's will not be around very long.There are so many ex drum corps members that marched in the 80's and 90's that want to march in an Alumni corps right now,but don't due to the current style of show the corps are putting on the field.It also wouldn't hurt to compete for scores and a championship.There are more of us out there,that are waiting for this to happen than you think.I talk to them all the time.this would be a win win !! for DCA and Alumni corps as well.And that's the truth.Hope you guy's are listening.

Perhaps you should consider joining an alumni corps and working for change from the inside, rather than simply sitting back here and telling them what they should do.

And as for alumni corps not being around for very long, I know of one that's in its seventeenth year - and it ain't the oldest one by any means.

One last thought... If alumni corps are so out of date, why are two major, long-standing shows seriously considering changing their format to all alumni corps?

Perhaps you should consider joining an alumni corps and working for change from the inside, rather than simply sitting back here and telling them what they should do.

And as for alumni corps not being around for very long, I know of one that's in its seventeenth year - and it ain't the oldest one by any means.

One last thought... If alumni corps are so out of date, why are two major, long-standing shows seriously considering changing their format to all alumni corps?

"Over the Hill"?

Seems to me for an "Out of Date" group, the Hawthorne Alumni seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. The AUDIENCES seemed to really enjoy them. Their Bridgeport "Barnum" show was VERY well recieved as well as giving the announcer the chance to do his "On the Starting Line" spiel.

At the Kingston NY "Monsoon Pagent" NOBODY left the stands while Hawthorne performed their closing exibition in the pouring rain, and I understand their Saturday music PRACTICE at Rochester was enjoyed by some 400+ VERY appreciative fans.

And as far as "Growth" in the drum corps activity, about the only place I see any is in the ranks of the ALUMNI units.

Elphaba

It also wouldn't hurt to compete for scores and a championship.There are more of us out there,that are waiting for this to happen than you think.I talk to them all the time.this would be a win win !! for DCA and Alumni corps as well.And that's the truth.Hope you guy's are listening.

I'm not at all sure you're right about alumni corps competing for scores and a championship being a good thing. While some members, I'm sure, would enjoy competing, I don't believe the majority would want to take on the added pressures. Alumni corps are all about entertainment, not scores.

A small example... If alumni corps are scored on drill, what are we going to do with all those Amigos and Hoverounds that were on the field Sunday morning? Maybe we should just tell those guys to go home, they're washed up.

So once again... All these people that you're talking to all the time who want alumni corps to compete... Tell them to join one and work from the inside on making it so.

And by the way, I made a proposal to a DCA honcho suggesting that one aspect of alumni corps be allowed to compete against competing corps in only that one category. It goes without saying that I never even got the courtesy of a response.