1991 Blue Devils is DCI.org Download of the Week

A great example of how modern jazz can be presented in a fan friendly manner. Fabulous musical show.

One of the best horn books of all time. I was talking to an Alto player from BD 90-91, he said that after the 90 season, basically most of the hornline returned and were expecting to contend if not win the title that year. He said it was disappointing to see how the whole Tom Float drama out played in January 91 with most of the battery and pit walking out. During tour having the drum book rewritten on several occasions.

That said, the Horn Line was so good playing this challenging music, coming in 5th they took High Brass with Star. The Horn line from top to bottom, outstanding, no weakness. What ever you do, buy the original, you will appreciate BD's show even more.

Don Sebesky : Three Works For Jazz Soloists & Symphony Orchestra

http://www.amazon.com/Don-Sebesky-Soloists-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B001D1650O

• Like 3

THIS SHOW of any show I'd die to have BD revisit. No Changes to the hornbook one iota note for note beginning to end same as 1991. That Hornline and book was nothing short of but of on Fire. Of course with a better percussion book and visual but man. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1

Probably my favorite BD show of all time. That hornline is one of the top 5 ever imo.

• Like 1

A great example of how modern jazz can be presented in a fan friendly manner. Fabulous musical show.

I loved it, but it was considered pretty darned esoteric at the time compared to the rest of the field. Still, I prefer that to BD 2010, though they are similar. I know, I'm a hater. shutup.gif ( Sorry )

I loved it, but it was considered pretty darned esoteric at the time compared to the rest of the field. Still, I prefer that to BD 2010, though they are similar. I know, I'm a hater. shutup.gif ( Sorry )

Great brass and brass arranging. But I prefer Suncoast 1986 over both as an overall package.

One of the few shows that I think could compete if lifted wholesale and dropped into this decade. Very esoteric at the time, but I still love love loved it.

Mike

Hopefully when you drop it into this decade, the drum book gets lost in the process. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I loved 1991 Blue Devils! I remember having a conversation in the stands during prelims with my uncle on why I thought BD should win color guard that year. Great guard, great marching, great horn book!

Great brass and brass arranging. But I prefer Suncoast 1986 over both as an overall package.

Hopefully when you drop it into this decade, the drum book gets lost in the process. :ph34r:

Oh yea, I LOVED Suncoast's version probably the most. worthy.gif