College Marching Bands with the most...

What about schools without marching bands? My college doesn't have one but I've been in classes with people that marched Bluecoats, Cadets, Teal Sound, Kiwanis Kavaliers, Jersey Surf, Glassmen, Black Watch (WGI), United (also WGI), Crossmen, Crown, and a few others. I didn't even include some of the corps I marched with.

Apparently The Ohio State University Marching Band is now a Drum Corps....It's brass and percussion ONLY.
But they're NOT a Corps Style band at all. Entertaining to watch, but not my cup of tea. Snare drummers don't even use leg rests. They just let the drums dangle there on their hips with a strap. Looks ridiculous. To each his own I guess.
  • Like 2

UMass Amherst has extensive staff and students who have participated in DCA/DCI. Thom Hannum, Colin McNutt, and many visual staff members have all worked with top twelve corps. Not to mention most of the battery has marched DCI (as mentioned in the prior post)

LOL, also to be a DCA show there in the mid 70s. Remember it as is was my corps first competition in almost two years when we re-organized after a full season off.

...results were not pretty but I'll NEVER forget the place.... :shutup:

But they're NOT a Corps Style band at all. Entertaining to watch, but not my cup of tea. Snare drummers don't even use leg rests. They just let the drums dangle there on their hips with a strap. Looks ridiculous. To each his own I guess.

I agree - those snare drums look idiotic

• Like 1

Don't knock it. They are a great example of marching music from a bygone time. I've seen them live and had the opportunity to meet with their director Dr. Jon Woods. He is originally from Pennsylvania and at one time judged at the high school and corps levels.

The history and traditions of "TBDBITL" (The Best #### Band in the Land - Coined by the late Woody Hayes as he mentioned that the band was worth 7 points at home and 3 points on the road) are deep and the there is NO better relationship between a band and a major college football program. Game day in Columbus is just as big because of the band as it is the football game. One of the hidden traditions is the week of the Michigan game the band and football team have dinner together and the team participates with the band in a script OHIO after dinner.

They hold an Alumni Band Weekend the first home game every year. The band itself is by tryout only and limited to 225 members, but the alumni band will march a minumum of 800 that weekend all with their own instruments. Nothing is more impressive the both bands performing 4 script O H I O's on one football field. Trust me the level of demand in performing the script is huge and safety is an issue. I've seen the move broken down and at various points ALL members have multiple line pass throughs that if merely a count off will ruin an instrument and your chops as well. There is no stronger collegiate alumni band organization then at OSU.

Sure it may not be corps style, but it really is to be appreciated that they've stayed true to their identity and carry on that great traditional style.

I know The university of Cincinnati has quite a few. 3 or 4 drummers from Madison, 4 or 5 trumpets from madison, guard from Blue stars, Guard from Capital Regiment, Mellophone from capital regiment, Plus they have Nick Anglis as a staff member who was on madisons staff til this year.

Oh I agree about the visual, but visual doesn't make a drum corps a drum corps. It's about the instrumentation. They are brass and percussion. tongue.gifph34r.gif

I kid, I kid... devil.gif

UMass Amherst has extensive staff and students who have participated in DCA/DCI. Thom Hannum, Colin McNutt, and many visual staff members have all worked with top twelve corps. Not to mention most of the battery has marched DCI (as mentioned in the prior post)

UMass has a visual staff? This is news to me. (Kidding)

• Like 1

Speaking of college bands... if you are in the area, you should go to this. Collegiate Marching Band Festival

Always a fun event with bands of all styles and sizes.