As to the President's Remarks - The Cadets are a Marching Band

Funny. As much as I despise the marching band label being applied to drum corps, this idea crossed my mind last week:

What if it was George, himself, who requested his group be called a marching band? It is no secret that GH feels this way, and his actions to incorporate instrumentation that validates his opinion.

Isn't it possible that he found a willing partner, who didn't know any better and could be duped, to promote his vision for the activity morphing into his marching band vision?

Just pouring my second glass of wine...

you need to get over it...gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :tongue:

Edited by GUARDLING

you need to get over it...gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :tongue:

Never! Drum corps is NOT marching band! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. tongue.gif

Black helicopters are flying around like fire-flies.

Besides, it's September. Have you seen how boring DCP is this time of year? Just trying to Boo-wasabi this place up a bit...

Never! Drum corps is NOT marching band! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. tongue.gif

Black helicopters are flying around like fire-flies.

Besides, it's September. Have you seen how boring DCP is this time of year? Just trying to Boo-wasabi this place up a bit...

drum corps is marching band always has been....like that or not :tongue: we drum corps people are just snobish about it...well some are..lol

• Like 2

The Dalai Lama could refer to drum corps as "rhythms of the drum circles with lotus blossoms in B-flat" and I wouldn't get bent over it.

The Dalai Lama has a much deeper appreaction for "rhythms of the drum circles with lotus blossoms in "G"

• Like 1

Geez what is it with corps people. Back in the 70's on tour we stopped at a decent resturant. One of the drummers thought the scoop of butter was ice cream.

I can only imagine a big gob of wasabi......

Japanese guac? HaHaHa!

Funniest darn thing I've read in a long time, Boo, and you write lots of funny stuff.

Would have loved to see your face as that taste kicked in.

Here's the full story. In 2001, I was brought to Japan to write an article about the drum corps and marching band movement. I studied up for the trip, including reading a wonderful book titled, "Culture Shock: Japan." I fell in love with the sidewalk noodle houses that are all over Tokyo. In front are displays of plastic food of what you can order that look absolutely real. You then go inside, put your money in a machine, push the number for the dish you want and are given a receipt that you hand to the cook. No money changes hands. I got a big bowl of noodles and the wasabi was sitting on the inside of the bowl. I honestly did look at it and think "Oh, Japanese guacamole." So I picked it up with my chopsticks and put a good sized chunk of it in my mouth to see how it tasted. In all my studying, I never came across wasabi. For several seconds, I tried to keep my cool so the others in the noodle house didn't realize I had made a major mistake, but at the time, I thought my toenails were sweating. I instantly developed an impressive respect for wasabi. What I went through I wouldn't wish upon those people who rented that airplane towing the banner that destroyed Madison Scouts' ballad (and impacted a couple other corps' performances) at the 2001 Finals in Buffalo.

Here's the full story. In 2001, I was brought to Japan to write an article about the drum corps and marching band movement. I studied up for the trip, including reading a wonderful book titled, "Culture Shock: Japan." I fell in love with the sidewalk noodle houses that are all over Tokyo. In front are displays of plastic food of what you can order that look absolutely real. You then go inside, put your money in a machine, push the number for the dish you want and are given a receipt that you hand to the cook. No money changes hands. I got a big bowl of noodles and the wasabi was sitting on the inside of the bowl. I honestly did look at it and think "Oh, Japanese guacamole." So I picked it up with my chopsticks and put a good sized chunk of it in my mouth to see how it tasted. In all my studying, I never came across wasabi. For several seconds, I tried to keep my cool so the others in the noodle house didn't realize I had made a major mistake, but at the time, I thought my toenails were sweating. I instantly developed an impressive respect for wasabi. What I went through I wouldn't wish upon those people who rented that airplane towing the banner that destroyed Madison Scouts' ballad (and impacted a couple other corps' performances) at the 2001 Finals in Buffalo.

Found a couple of sinuses you never knew you had?

:satisfied:

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Found a couple of sinuses you never knew you had?

:satisfied:

Garry in Vegas

No; the sinuses abandoned ship as soon as the wasabi hit my tongue.

spoken as someone who is insular and does not wish to obtain a larger fanbase. Noted. In your mind then, drum corps demise is imminent. It is controlled mostly by actuary charts. We are the WGN Radio of activities, still doing the farm report at lunch. Noted.

You don't have to become Marching Band to have a larger fan base.

Drum Corps isn't KDKA broadcasting farm reports to the outskirts of Pittsburgh.

Drum Corps, as an activity, is just fine, without being marching band. The biggest problem we've had since the VFW/AL tear, is that no one knows what the heck a drum corps is.

If I own a fast food restaurant that serves hamburgers, I don't become McDonald's so people understand. I build my brand so that my fan base/customer base is knowledgeable about what/who I am.

Drum corps is marching band.

• Like 3

Marching: 1) to move along steadily usually with a rhythmic stride and in step with others; 2) to move in a direct purposeful manner; 3) to make steady progress. Question: Does this describe all units involved in DCI? Yep!

Band: 1) a group of persons or things; 2) a group of musicians organized for ensemble playing. Question: Does this also describe all units involved in DCI? Yep!

Since the answer to both questions is Yep, then by definition, all units involved in DCI are... wait for it... Marching Bands!!!

• Like 1