Random Encounters

When I graduated from HS I decided to take the summer off from Drum Corps (stupidest decision I ever made). One day I was driving down the road and spotted a kid walking and wearing his corps jacket so I pulled over and picked him up. Of course the conversation immediatly turned to Drum Corps. When I asked him who won the World Open that year he said "the Blue Devils, you gotta see them, they're really good". Right hand to God that was the first time I ever heard of the Blue Devils. That's when I realized that I wasn't just out of the saddle - I didn't even have a horse to put it on. It was time to pull my head out of my butt. Fortunatly I did.

I was visiting a local bowling establishment and I had on one of my college marching band t-shirts. Then gentleman behind the counter saw my shirt and mentioned he was a musician. I asked him his experience and he mentioned he was a former member of Suncoast Sound from back in the day. I then shared my drum corps experience with him as well.

Drum corps alums are everywhere.

he mentioned he was a former member of Suncoast Sound from back in the day. I then shared my drum corps experience with him as well.

Drum corps alums are everywhere.

You are correct about " Drum Corps alums being everywhere ". You mentioned the " Suncoast Sound " ( former DCI Finalist Corps from Tampa, Florida ). We're approaching MLB Spring Training in Florida for baseball teams. If one was to wear ( for example ) a Hawthorne Caballeros, NY Skyliners, Bridgemen, Boston Crusaders T shirt at ( for example ) a Boston Red Sox- NY Yankees Spring Training game, or a Bosox/ Yankees vs. Tampa Rays game, you would be almost guaranteed to have some total stranger at the game ( most likely more than one too) recognize the t shirt, smile, and say something to you about their Drum Corps experience(s) " back in the day ".

Edited by BRASSO

Work at two different buildings for Uncle Sam (long story) and have two fathers talk to me about corps at both of them. One is the father of a Crossman guard member from a few years back. He was telling someone what his daughter was doing that summer and I caught "blah, blah, yada, yada, DRUM CORPS yada, yada" and I had to ask. Now I work with him from time to time. First time I met his daughter was at an exhibition at Gettysburg. He said they weren't going to the show but then showed up at the last minute. My corps was standing outside and saw them buying tickets. I yelled "Steve you LIED!" then saw his wife and daughter looking like. :blink: Walked over and talked to all of them until we had to go in. Funny thing is he got some good shots of me testing out his new camera (OK, camera got torture tested :devil: ).

At the other building the father was telling me his son wanted to try out for Troopers but never found out the story on that (don't see him too often).

Out of a few hundred people that have worked in my agency over the decades had four from my old corps and father of a Crossmen drummer. Also a lady who is in a local town band and knows members of my old Alumni-type corps.

Okay. But wear a corps shirt so I know only to fight you on DCP!

HH

Some people who participate on the "Guess Who" thread on the DCA side have name badges that we wear on lanyards at corps events. Have met a lot of DCPers that way at shows. Only problem is it kind of looks like the passes corps staff wear at DCA. One year I wore a Class A corps heavy long sleeved shirt with the lanyard/badge and had three people congratulate me on the corps showing. :blink:

Glory,

I have many shirts and they are all maroon and gold. That's the color of a good slice of pie (pizza youngsters). I challenge you to a slice. Whoever wins gets another one. Whoever loses gets another one.

Kevin

Not long after the 2011 season I was wearing my Troopers shirt in the grocery store when an older gentleman and his wife came up to me and he said "Excuse me, but is that Troopers as in the Casper Troopers?" After I said yes, we got into a little conversation. He had marched with the Black Knights from Belleville, Illinois but had told me that he hadn't payed much attention to DCI for a very long time, evidenced by the fact that he asked me if the Chicago Cavaliers were still around and if they were are they any good. He told me how back in the day the Cavies used to give his group the biggest trouble in the local contests and was wondering if they had survived when the other Illinois corps fizzled out.

EDIT: Just thought of another one!

My friend (Who marched Cadets this past year) and I taught Vis at a local high school who went to Grand Nationals. After we all got settled in and the kiddos were tucked away in their hotel rooms, we decided to go get some food. We put on our corps jackets and stopped at the Steak 'N Shake ( the same popular drum corps destination finals week :P) and ordered some food. When we were ready to go and pay, the gentlemen sitting at the table behind us stopped us and asked if we had marched before. After a short conversation we found that while neither of the two had marched, they had both been photographers for DCI for years and were there to photograph the PASIC marching competition going on at the same time as GN at the convention center. After sharing our experiences back and forth, the two insisted they pay for our meal. Amazing the people you meet!

Wow, I wish I could have met the person asking about The Cavaliers. I love running into fellow drum corps fans at random! Thanks for the stories! :thumbup: