Some Answered Questions About Cadets2

I dont see the problem here.

You talk as if USSBA is the only band circuit for drum corps to recruit from. I was at a Cavalcade show with recruiting tables from a couple of DCA corps and 1 DCI corps. At the TOB Championships this past weekend there was a Drum Corps Row with DCI and DCA equally represented. If USSBA doesn't allow DCA corps to recruit from USSBA, there is always the other circuits to draw from. Nothing for nothing, a lot of USSBA bands also compete in TOB and Cvalcade, and trust me, the DCA corps do recruit from those shows.

I'm sure TOB and Calvacade are welcoming corps with open arms to come and support their circuits. I think both those circuits have taken a back seat to USSBA since they became favorable about 10 years ago.

That being said- even though both circuits feature some big shows.. they don't compare to USSBA and some of the multi-day shows they have, which is why they are the primary circuit to promote in.

I'm sure TOB and Calvacade are welcoming corps with open arms to come and support their circuits. I think both those circuits have taken a back seat to USSBA since they became favorable about 10 years ago.

That being said- even though both circuits feature some big shows.. they don't compare to USSBA and some of the multi-day shows they have, which is why they are the primary circuit to promote in.

This is true but to recruit at the USSBA big shows, one MUST provide workers to help out at the show.

I believe the minimum number is 15 workers. Doesn't matter if you are DCI or DCA. That is why you only see Cadets recruiting at these shows.

This is true but to recruit at the USSBA big shows, one MUST provide workers to help out at the show.

I believe the minimum number is 15 workers. Doesn't matter if you are DCI or DCA. That is why you only see Cadets recruiting at these shows.

I am sorry but you are incorrect in your assessment. I know for a fact that they were not allowing other corps to recruit at their shows.

• Like 2

you see cadets working these shows because USSBA is the cadets and now cadets 2....they even recruit alumni of cadets going way back to work shows...................USSBA = Cadets as legal said in her post

And they are doing a good job of it. Lots of seniors have left the activity for retirement or alumni corps. More are leaving year after year. There is no room for seniors in DCA anymore.

You're confusing membership/performers with audience.

Yes, DCA corps (the members/performers) are becoming younger. The audience, however, isn't. I spent a lot of time at the six DCA shows I attended last summer looking around. It's frightening just how old the majority of the fan base is.

Agree 100% with the first and don't care what the causes might be.....

Interesting parallel as my Alumni-type corps has pulled in a few younger members in the last few years. Not 100% sure but changing some things (like what we play) is paying dividends. IOW - can't do same olde, same olde and expect to survive in the long run.

Absolutely!

I just wish more alumni corps would realize this. If they don't, they will be gone before too long.

I think both those circuits have taken a back seat to USSBA since they became favorable about 10 years ago.

I wouldn't agree with this statement at all. There are three viable circuits in the immediate PA/NJ/DE/MD area. Each is administered differently and caters to a certain type of band, and IMO, does it well. I know plenty of bands that compete in more than one of those circuits at a time, and others that jump around from year to year. To say one is "favored" over the other two is simply not accurate.

You're confusing membership/performers with audience.

Yes, DCA corps (the members/performers) are becoming younger. The audience, however, isn't. I spent a lot of time at the six DCA shows I attended last summer looking around. It's frightening just how old the majority of the fan base is.

I would agree with this. After spending the summer on tour I spent some time after with a DCA corps and YES you are right about the audiance. This will become a problem eventually I think. That is no disrespect to an older audiance BUT there has to be a balance through all ages to survive i think.

Of the corps I know that expressed interest in promoting at USSBA events this year, all of them had the workers necessary to honor their agreements. Again- is it YEA's right to choose who promotes at their shows?- Absolutely.

Is it a little shady?- I believe so. I find it a bit hypocritical that an organization built around youth education and holds that at the highest level, would shut out other organizations that also provide exceptional youth educational. That's when it becomes more about the money than the kids, and that's what I have an issue with.

I would agree with this. After spending the summer on tour I spent some time after with a DCA corps and YES you are right about the audiance. This will become a problem eventually I think. That is no disrespect to an older audiance BUT there has to be a balance through all ages to survive i think.

It's a problem NOW. It has to be DCA's #1 priority to do something about this immediately. If they (the corps, DCA admin, show sponsors, etc.) don't work to build a younger fan base, there won't be a fan base left in a few short years.

• Like 1