Some Answered Questions About Cadets2

I'm sorry I wasn't a little clearer with this. I meant that bands jumped to TOB because of pricing. USSBA raised their prices. TOB did not.

and bands left TOB for USSba for whatever reasons they chose regardless of price.

A band circuit to many directors is as good as the last score they got there.

I know one band director that years ago loved TOB til they didn't win much....so they jumped to USSBA. Loved it...til they didn't win much. Now with cavalcade....except now they aren't winning much. Guess it means it's TOBs turn soon

• Like 1

Edited by JKatzmellophone

1) Not allowing other DCA corps to recruit/promote at all USSBA events.

Windsor Regiment is actually performing at the Robbinsville USSBA band show tomorrow. They posted it here on DCP on 10/24.

I have seen Cabs recruitment tables at the Piscataway USSBA show over the past few years. Don't recall if they were there this year.

I think Fusion Core had a table at the North Brunswick USSBA show a couple of years ago.

Not sure about other corps/band shows, etc...just ones I personally have seen or read about.

2) Not actively discussing DCA in promotional material, even though thats the circuit your participating in.

Read my post on page 1...it says they are competing in DCA right on the corps announcement.

3) The age limitations.

How is THAT a negative? Their target audience is relatively local HS kids to the Lehigh Valley, plus recent Cadet age-outs.

4) Marketing the new drum corps as a "Regional Ensemble" instead of a Drum Corps

Why is that a negative?

5) Supplying a Cadets Shako with every trophy given out at USSBA events.

Not true. They are creating an award much like the Marine Corps Espirit de Corps award where there will be a Cadet shako awarded to two bands that a special judge decides exemplifies the Cadet philosophy. They are looking for Cadet alums to be this special judge. I think it will be awarded at championship shows, not local shows, but I may be mistaken on that.

I appreciate the aggressive marketing strategy, don't get me wrong. But given the very high fee's the corps is charging (The $1,000 tuition doesn't even include food, housing fees from May out) and $175 for registration and 1st camp fees (Vs most other corps $25-$50) makes me think a little less of the "Exception Youth Experience" YEA promotes.

Why? that is not a 'high fee' as compared to the Cadets and other DCI corps. As for food and housing...the items I have read state very clearly that this is a weekend-only corps. Not sure how much these items will cost.

Could be that maybe YEA just restricted DCA corps than.

Just to confirm what Legal Eagle is saying- I also have 1st hand information saying DCA corps were not allowed to recruit at USSBA shows this year.

Then how is Windsor Regiment being allowed to actually perform at a USSBA show tomorrow?

and bands left TOB for USSba for whatever reasons they chose regardless of price.

A band circuit to many directors is as good as the last score they got there.

I know one band director that years ago loved TOB til they didn't win much....so they jumped to USSBA. Loved it...til they didn't win much. Now with cavalcade....except now they aren't winning much. Guess it means it's TOBs turn soon

I gave you a Like on this post...I see this time and time again. Its a merry-go-round based on band director perceptions in a lot of cases.

Then how is Windsor Regiment being allowed to actually perform at a USSBA show tomorrow?

You are correct. Windsor Regiment is performing an exhibition tomorrow at the Robbinsville show. It is because it is a silver star show hosted by Robbinsville and not a Gold Star/Regional/Championship level show.

I should have clarified the restrictions.

Windsor Regiment is actually performing at the Robbinsville USSBA band show tomorrow. They posted it here on DCP on 10/24.

I have seen Cabs recruitment tables at the Piscataway USSBA show over the past few years. Don't recall if they were there this year.

I think Fusion Core had a table at the North Brunswick USSBA show a couple of years ago.

Not sure about other corps/band shows, etc...just ones I personally have seen or read about.

As mentioned earlier- In the past, these corps have always been allowed to promote provided they had workers to come and help the event staff out at the show. This year in particular, they are NOT allowed to recruit. This has now been confirmed by 3 different individuals, one of which is part of a recruitment committee.

For the record- I don't think YEA made a bad decision here from a business standpoint. But it doesn't mean I can't grumble about it. I think it sends the wrong message to students and parents alike that C2 is the only weekend only option for drum corps. If they really were all about youth education, and they held that ideology at their core, then they wouldn't have any problem having other corps in who offer the same thing because again- its all about the kids. This move makes me think its more so about the money.

As far as Windsor Regiment performing- I made mention of this in my 1st response. It is because that show is not hosted by USSBA, but rather the Robbinsville school district as part of the USSBA circuit. Had it been a regional/Gold/Championship show- its likely, you wouldn't see that.

Either way- Good Luck Windsor! Have a great show.

Read my post on page 1...it says they are competing in DCA right on the corps announcement.

Yes- 1 announcement. However, on all the promotional material going out to schools, as well as all the other web announcements, DCA was not included. I referenced that in my 1st post, that the announcement you referenced was the 1st one I had seen with DCA mentioned.

How is THAT a negative? Their target audience is relatively local HS kids to the Lehigh Valley, plus recent Cadet age-outs.

Lets be clear- I didn't say it was a negative. That list that you pulled the quote from was in response to a poster asking what type of "shady" things were being referenced. In my opinion- the age restriction is a shady thing given the circuit they will be participating. Shady really isn't the proper word to be honest. Maybe, uncharacteristic, or frowned upon would be more appropriate. Either way- the age thing has been debated largely already and I'm not interested in bringing it up again. Both sides have their legitimate points.

And its not geographically restricted to just the Lehigh Valley. By restricting other corps to promote at their larger band shows as far as MD, NY, CT, they are pulling from those areas too.

Why is that a negative?

In my opinion- I believe that label is mis-leading and a slap in the face to the other corps and perhaps DCA in general. Remember, the target audience here are young adults who likely don't have any experience or knowledge of what drum corps is, or they only know DCI. When I hear the term "Regional Ensemble" I think of a band or ensemble (Jazz, Orchestra, or otherwise). I don't think - "Drum Corps". As I mentioned in another post, the C2 poster is up in a band room in a school I teach at and a few of the students thought this was a mixed group including woodwinds. They never through "Drum Corps".

I marched in both DCI and DCA. I'm proud to have marched in both. DCA is a great circuit with great opportunities. I know C2 has announced they are competing in DCA but at the same time, for parents and students who don't follow DCP, "Regional Ensemble" sends a different message. Why not just say its a drum corps competing in DCA with occasional appearances in exhibition at DCI shows.

Correct me if I'm wrong (And I KNOW some of you will :tongue:) but the C2 poster being put up in schools all around the area and being handed out at USSBA shows doesn't actually say "Drum Corps or DCA" on it does it??

Not true. They are creating an award much like the Marine Corps Espirit de Corps award where there will be a Cadet shako awarded to two bands that a special judge decides exemplifies the Cadet philosophy. They are looking for Cadet alums to be this special judge. I think it will be awarded at championship shows, not local shows, but I may be mistaken on that.

Fair enough. Thank you for correcting me on this one. I tip my hat to you here and can admit when I was mistaken.

Why? that is not a 'high fee' as compared to the Cadets and other DCI corps. As for food and housing...the items I have read state very clearly that this is a weekend-only corps. Not sure how much these items will cost.

You right! As compared to the Cadets1 and other DCI corps it's not a high cost. But we are not talking about the cost of Cadets2 compared to DCI. We are talking about Cadets2 compared to other DCA corps. I can't speak for a lot of the DCA corps, but for the ones I have been affiliated with in the past, the dues were MUCH lower and included meals and any corps wide transportation (buses to and from events). If I'm driving 3 hours one way each weekend, plus providing my own meals 3 times a day, plus my own sleeping arrangements, and still paying potentially the highest tuition in DCA, I'm going to have a few questions. That gets expensive- QUICK. Especially if the corps 2 hours away from me provides all those things (except for maybe food) for hundreds of dollars less.

And just to clarify- when I say dues were much less when I marched, I'm referring to a time period within the last 3 years. Not- BITD.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 1

I gave you a Like on this post...I see this time and time again. Its a merry-go-round based on band director perceptions in a lot of cases.

Do bands sometimes have valid reasons whythey jump? Sure. More often than not " I didn't win", "XYZ circuit hates us" etc....

I've said it before, I'll say it again, almost always, the adults #### up activities for kids

• Like 1

You are correct. Windsor Regiment is performing an exhibition tomorrow at the Robbinsville show. It is because it is a silver star show hosted by Robbinsville and not a Gold Star/Regional/Championship level show.

I should have clarified the restrictions.

When I was with Cabs way back in the day we use to do band show exhibitions. They were fun and always got a great crowd reaction. I hope Windsor Regiment does a great job tomorrow. Good luck at your performance, Unfortunately, Ill be in Hillsborough. Good Luck WR