Restructuring the DCI BOD

:tongue: At least this thread is much different than the last one... :tongue:
  • Like 1

OK... I'll just tip the hand here....

Indeed.

DCI should establish the tour as a separate incorporated entity, an SPV jointly owned by DCI and a private investor. This investor would guarantee payments to individual corps (paid fully in advance of tour... cash paid in full in January could change the game for many corps out there) in exchange for various concessions. It would be the responsibility of the investor to secure relationships with various partners and sponsors.... with profits past a certain watermark paid back to the investor.

So let me get this straight....DCI should give away their profit, and other "various concessions" (like rulemaking power) to Yamaha, er, a "private investor", just so that the corps can get their money earlier than they need it anyway?

There coud be minimum terms of say 5 years locked in for such an experiment.

Locked into an experiment for 5 years?

What private investor would be sufficiently naive to make such a deal with the corps? Top corps have a horrible track record for honoring such deals. They are best known for the ever-present threat of leaving circuits - not only do they threaten to do so with DCI, they showed they weren't bluffing with DCM....for that matter, DCI was created by corps deciding the best way to address dissatisfaction with existing event management was to quit/boycott and create their own events.

We all know how the last 5-year lock-in worked out. The G7 wouldn't even allow DCI to stick to the 5-year plan that G7 directors voted for. Just a few months later, they abandoned all support of it, concocted their own proposal, and threatened to leave DCI if they didn't get their way.

Corps get more stability and certainty (rainouts mean nothing...

You haven't heard of "rain insurance"?

could be a provision to compensate for lost merchandising in case of rainout as an opt in in exchange for certain licensing rights, etc.)....

What....give licensing away to Yamaha, er, a "private investor"? Insane.

Better idea....include rain gear in your corps' merchandising line. I've seen corps make a killing at the booth just from being the only source of ponchos on site when an unexpected storm comes.

• Like 1

May I suggest that those of you who are unhappy with DCI...put together a new Drum Corps organization and use your expertise in finance and business to run it the way you seem to think a drum corps organization should be run. Y

Some of you have amazing ideas that I don't think DCI will do because, as I see it, "if it ain't broke...."

Pages upon pages of brilliant ideas and yet you stil have done nothing but yack away like old ladies! DO SOMETHING!!!! Form the organization, talk the corps directors into coming on board and make this happen. If you start now you can be up and running by September 2012 and have your fisrt season in 2013. Stop talking and start doing!

This post has become the "How many trumpet players does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

• Like 3

May I suggest that those of you who are unhappy with DCI...put together a new Drum Corps organization and use your expertise in finance and business to run it the way you seem to think a drum corps organization should be run. Y

Some of you have amazing ideas that I don't think DCI will do because, as I see it, "if it ain't broke...."

Pages upon pages of brilliant ideas and yet you stil have done nothing but yack away like old ladies! DO SOMETHING!!!! Form the organization, talk the corps directors into coming on board and make this happen. If you start now you can be up and running by September 2012 and have your fisrt season in 2013. Stop talking and start doing!

This post has become the "How many trumpet players does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

Keith,

What's so difficult about finding a thread you enjoy reading and staying there?

What do you care what the rest of us talk about?

• Like 1

Indeed.

So let me get this straight....DCI should give away their profit, and other "various concessions" (like rulemaking power) to Yamaha, er, a "private investor", just so that the corps can get their money earlier than they need it anyway?

Ask Bob Jacobs if he'd like the assurance of being able to finance his first trip out west. I know for a fact that his plans have been in the works for months already and his ability to pay for it has been primary on his mind. I'm sure it's the same for most corps.

The corps' cut from DCI isn't assured until the season ends in August. Makes it a little difficult to plan, doesn't it?

Locked into an experiment for 5 years?

What private investor would be sufficiently naive to make such a deal with the corps? Top corps have a horrible track record for honoring such deals. They are best known for the ever-present threat of leaving circuits - not only do they threaten to do so with DCI, they showed they weren't bluffing with DCM....for that matter, DCI was created by corps deciding the best way to address dissatisfaction with existing event management was to quit/boycott and create their own events.

We all know how the last 5-year lock-in worked out. The G7 wouldn't even allow DCI to stick to the 5-year plan that G7 directors voted for. Just a few months later, they abandoned all support of it, concocted their own proposal, and threatened to leave DCI if they didn't get their way.

The agreements that Dan is talking about would be legally binding, with consequences. There was no such thing in the G7 actions.

You haven't heard of "rain insurance"?

What....give licensing away to Yamaha, er, a "private investor"? Insane.

And if that investor can make use of the licensing to generate money to guarantee payments to corps? I understand your concern on the surface, but I think you underestimate the motivatiions of said "private investors".

Better idea....include rain gear in your corps' merchandising line. I've seen corps make a killing at the booth just from being the only source of ponchos on site when an unexpected storm comes.

Good idea! But why do you suppose that, if it's such a good idea, that more souvie booths don't carry rain gear?

• Like 1

lmao...easier to talk than DO!!!!

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Indeed.

I look at it differently. If this structure can double income and profits, and DCI contracts to "give some of it away" in return for some guarantees but is left with more than it has now, how is that bad?

Remember that DCI contracted with LOS in order to get guarantees on venue pricing, stability, and operation, while the corps got a guarantee that their final (and biggest) show of the year wouldn't be threatened by rain and would provide consistency of acoustics (such that it is). Guarantees in return for something are not a bad thing to DCI.

Keith,

What's so difficult about finding a thread you enjoy reading and staying there?

What do you care what the rest of us talk about?

Amen. Of course this is all academic wheel spinning. We know that. Some folks pass the offseason talking about the development of fiberglass vest carriers. We're just talking theoretical management options.

Mike

Amen. Of course this is all academic wheel spinning. We know that. Some folks pass the offseason talking about the development of fiberglass vest carriers. We're just talking theoretical management options.

Mike

I don't know any serious person who would announce or share his intentions/actions on this board, but I know plenty of serious people who read the ideas on this board and use them to work behind the scenes.

Of course, it's an unprovable point, but some posters are simply not going to get what they need to be convinced.:ph34r:

• Like 1

Garfield,

It's not that I don't enjoy this post, it's just that a few of you have some very good ideas and maybe it's time to have those people get together. I would suggest that it involve a few directors. Maybe there is an idea here. It won't be easy but heck you have a million good ideas so why not join forces face to face and make a go of it. What can it hurt?