Cadets2 question...

Its not about the old guys sound. Its about the old guys visual.

Todays DCA is judged all about the visual. Brass only accounts for a very small part of the sheets. Its all about Visual Visual Visual.

It was pretty dramatic watching DCA morph into what it is today. I was really shocked at how out of place the over 30 marchers looked on the field this year. I mean there is a nice clean line of flat bellies and perfect posture and then some average looking guy that age is catching up to him stands out of place blowing the whole visual aspect of the show. It was clear with a couple of the corps that the old pharts were slowing down the pace of the show. They just could not keep up with the PHYSICAL stamina of today's shows.

DCA wants a more youthful DCA. They just need to go ahead and institute the age cap so they can get on with these high speed visual shows the judging community are giving credit too. Looks Like Cadets2 is setting the pace on this.

ITS TIME TO MOVE ON PEOPLE.

thats kind of funny. See, DCA seems to want everyone. I saw more than a few over 30 somethings moving justfine out there Labor Day Weekend.

you put an age cap on DCA, you kill DCA

• Like 1

Agreed. I suspect the judging community would balk at it too as well as the music educators.

I only see visual getting even higher reward in the future.

hmm. I just looked at the DCA recaps from finals.

what do you know. 40% music, 40% visual, 10% entertainment

• Like 1

hmm. I just looked at the DCA recaps from finals.

what do you know. 40% music, 40% visual, 10% entertainment

So much of what goes into the music score is percussion and so much of the percussion score is based on the visuals the percussion members display. You know those stick heights and fancy back scratching moves they make and stuff.

Then again all I hear on judges tapes is they need more visuals from the brass people too. So then the visual techs add all these fancy visual moves into the show to appease the judges. I know some corps have almost as many subsets of visual in the book as they do actually sets.

I think when you break everything down from the actual judges sheets and not just the recaps you find that visual makes up for about 80% of the raw score counting Gaurd,Percussion and visual in general.

Edited by camel lips

So much of what goes into the music score is percussion and so much of the percussion score is based on the visuals the percussion members display. You know those stick heights and fancy back scratching moves they make and stuff.

Then again all I hear on judges tapes is they need more visuals from the brass people too. So then the visual techs add all these fancy visual moves into the show to appease the judges. I know some corps have almost as many subsets of visual in the book as they do actually sets.

I think when you break everything down from the actual judges sheets and not just the recaps you find that visual makes up for about 80% of the raw score counting Gaurd,Percussion and visual in general.

hmm. just looked at the percussion sheet.

nope, nothing about stick heights. I do see discussion of musicality and technique. See you can do all the visual in the world, but if they arent clean visually and the music attached to them isn't clean well......you're not gonna get a good number. Imagine that.

Even recently heard on a tape "if that visual is going to keep affecting the hands, well, you may want to drop the visual".

finals weekend person too.

gotta love it

• Like 1

Percussion is 10%, I believe. I've never heard a judge comment on my visuals, not even the ones I was particularly proud of. We did get a thumbs up one time directed at our "thumbs up" visual. That was cool.

How is it that you get copies of all the corps tapes?,................you must really be connected,...............

Yeah, those visual moves really enhance the volumn of CD sales as well!!! :thumbup:

Yeah, those visual moves really enhance the volumn of CD sales as well!!! :thumbup:

:ph34r:

Bill, you should be ashamed of yourself.. :tongue:

Of course - KNOWING those visuals is part of how you 'play along' with the CD's..

Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery, oh kilted one. :thumbup:

Pat

How is it that you get copies of all the corps tapes?,................you must really be connected,...............

friends send em over, they go online, you name it

I have never heard one single brass/music tape, in any circuit, where the brass/music judge asked for more visuals. In fact, I believe you haven't either.

• Like 1