Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

And it just got one more negative from me. With it being that accurate, it tells me that this person had insider knowledge of the show that the corps was not ready to share yet and he violated their trust by sharing it on DCP. Corps hide what they're playing for a reason. We need to learn to respect that. I am willing to bet that most times, they hold off announcing until they've secured all the rights they need to secure. No point in getting people's hopes up with a certain piece if they end up losing the rights to perform/arrange.

I wear big boy pants. Last-minute repertoire changes are not going to ruin my Summer.

I can understand, barely, holding back on show CONCEPT or TITLE announcements. But this isn't cloak-and-dagger information vital to national security. And considering any Joe Public can simply walk by the corps property on a camp weekend and hear them performing, WHAT they are playing isn't exactly secret. And with the total fusterclucks we've had on recent CD/DVD releases, I think people just need to realize that copyright grief is a part of life now and will never be completely eliminated. I still don't see what it being gained by holding back every possible piece of information.

• Like 4

It's not 100% accurate, even now, because it's NOT COMPLETE.

Which was my point all along, that you THINK you know, but you really don't! Because for it to be truly insider status, it would have have said one of the following:

Mars

Jupiter

Piece by Mackey

*Piece by Whitacre*

--OR--

Mars

Jupiter

Hymn to a blue hour (composer optional, since u left out Holst)

Leonard and his flying machines (optional composer)

Signed, REAL insider.

... but it's not 100% false either, as you said it was.

for the most part it was correct. So either he/she/it knew, or we just witnessed a coinkydink of epic proportions.

Well, from my perspective without trying to make a big deal of it. It was something fun for Santa Clara to do and it gave everyone something to talk about. I'm also thinking that "jimmyhat" might be the kind of person who will always tell you what your present is before you get to unwrap it. He just can't help himself. Eh, it takes all kinds :cool:

• Like 2

It's not 100% accurate, even now, because it's NOT COMPLETE.

Accurate = Right

Inaccurate = Wrong

Which part of his post was wrong? Nothing. Therefore it is 100% accurate. Does it address EVERY piece? No. So it is not 100% complete.

Inaccurate and Incomplete are two different words.

• Like 3

And confirmed, Mars was announced by the corps.

Awesome! I can't wait to hear their arrangement!

• Like 1

And it just got one more negative from me. With it being that accurate, it tells me that this person had insider knowledge of the show that the corps was not ready to share yet and he violated their trust by sharing it on DCP. Corps hide what they're playing for a reason. We need to learn to respect that. I am willing to bet that most times, they hold off announcing until they've secured all the rights they need to secure. No point in getting people's hopes up with a certain piece if they end up losing the rights to perform/arrange.

I don't think it would be possible for me to disagree more.

Mike

• Like 3

Love the Mackey and Whiteacre pieces. And I never could get tired of Mars (and to a lesser extent, Jupiter), even if it were part of a DCI corps' rep every year.

Question: what rights do the composers typically retain over the arrangement when they grant rights to a corps?

What happens if Mackey or Whiteacre hates what SCV does with their composition?

Are the composers' rights standardized, or are they negotiated on a case-by-case basis?

Even if the composers don't have any rights over the corps' product, do the corps include the composers in the process at all and try to respect their wishes?

From the rumors I've heard in the past, it makes me think that the composers have no say in the arrangements that the corps do. I say this because I've heard that the Bernstein estate decided to deny the rights to arrange to ANY drum corps going forward after the Cadets did their newest West Side Story show in 2009. I don't know if there's any actual truth to that or not, but that's what I've heard.