D&BC on America's Got Talent(?)

Your narrow view of what drum corps is is sad. I have known, seen, performed in and enjoyed MANY kinds/styles/forms of drum corps. ALL of them have a place in the world of the marching art we call drum corps. I wish everyone in The Edge all the best in bringing their particular form of drum corps to the American public...

Some of us were brought up believing that drum corps is nothing more than manifest Excellence.

• Like 2

So a small start up drum corps that is no where close to "a high level of excellence" isn't really a drum corps either?

How absolutely elitist and exclusionary of you.

*edit ~ Carolina Crown, that corps that I am assuming ypu find falls into your definition of a drum corps ~ they started off no where close to where they are now. If they only believed what you claim to be drum corps, they should have hung up their uniforms years ago instead of trying to improve every year.*

Only Crown? I'm pretty sure every corps in history (with one possible exception) started off as either small, crappy, or both. And that's not an insult...its just common sense. Thank god they didn't quit when they realized they werent actually drum corps....

• Like 2

Only Crown? I'm pretty sure every corps in history (with one possible exception) started off as either small, crappy, or both. And that's not an insult...its just common sense. Thank god they didn't quit when they realized they werent actually drum corps....

Or went downhill at at least one time or another and had to rebuild..... the Jr corps in your sig. Yes folks, even THEM!!!

LOL, remembering the start of the Sr corps in your sig as my old corps was rebuilding (again).

LMAO.... Gee we should stayed home instead of reviving a dead corps that came in last place during it's first year back.... how horrible..... :devil: And those poor bastiches that almost won a title a few years after I left....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

People keep giving the TRUTH red negatives.

Drum corps is about performers presenting their professionally designed on-field productions at a high level of excellence.

ya see...I edited it. Why?

Because, um, Drum corps started with adults. and adults still do drum corps in many ways...including this.

denial, not just a river in Egypt.

• Like 6

People keep giving the TRUTH red negatives.

Drum corps is about performers presenting their professionally designed on-field productions at a high level of excellence.

DP never mind

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

Some of us were brought up believing that drum corps is nothing more than manifest Excellence.

many of us were brought up with the belief that we respect them all

• Like 6

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe, just MAYBE, the corps will be presenting a much more polished and "excellent" performance for the actual show audition than what's floating around on YouTube? I for one am certainly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on that...

But regardless, I wish them nothing but luck!!!

Edited by troon8
  • Like 1

This shouldn't be baffling. I'm not - and I doubt others are - advocating for the Edge to withdraw. They should compete. And I hope they succeed.

I think we're just dubious about the potential for this presentation to move the drum corps needle in the eyes of America broadly.

You said it yourself: Cadets in the Macy's parade; SCV alums in the Rose Parade; Cadets and Troopers in the inaugural parade; Cadets on MTV; Blast on PBS; DCI on ESPN; Cadets in the Olympics; heck, 27th in the Olympics. These are grand stages for us and not even a footnote for anyone else. And most of these in an era when network television concentrated our attention more profoundly than now.

Now we have adults. Costumed but not uniformed. Marching but not a marching band. What exactly is it? Not a marching band because America knows they are young people marching outdoors in uniforms. So what is this Edge? A mini-corps? Don't even know what a regular corps is...

They have to do well to move the needle. That in itself is a steep hill to climb. Now having climbed it, how will we connect their success back to drum corps? Can't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong.

HH

Believe you might be right G. However Edge performs, sounds, etc. the high percentage of the TV audience will not be interested in a regular dose of Edge or D&BC.

• Like 2