The Sea Hawk

How about Flynn/Rathbone in 'Robin Hood'? That was on yesterday just before 'Sea Hawk' (was that AMC or TCM?). LOL, I DVR'ed Robin Hood and should have done both. :doh:

Saw that too...Flynn was a lot better...still can't compare to MoZ, tho. (remember...I'm a fencing instructor...I know what to look for!)

Saw that too...Flynn was a lot better...still can't compare to MoZ, tho. (remember...I'm a fencing instructor...I know what to look for!)

Forgot we posted about that a few times. Sorry to say the lady I work with who went to PA States for fencing years ago hung it up for a hubby.

LOL, Picturing Sam yelling at the screen ..."Technique.. technique.."

#1 s/ Guy who took fencing for a PhysEd credit in college... now I know WHY I suck at it.

#2 s/ Guy who sees Rathbone in a move and wonder where Dr Watson is.... "Holmes how did you know?"

Was it to poke Cavies? I didn't know Cavies ever played it.

That's how I took it. They were making fun of quite few corps in their show that year. It wasn't as overt as Phantom that year. I mean Phantom quoted music phrases from other corps that the other corps had recently done ( Star (Twinkle Twinkle little star), Cavies (Gloria), Phantom(New World), Madison(Slaughter)). There was a DCW article about that part of their show back in the day...

With VK, it wasn't so much the musical quotes for each corps. That year they poked fun at the bottle dance (SCV), BD ( solo frak?), Cavies ( The Cavalier guy with the Aussie and sword while they plaed a Sea Hawk snipped), Sky Ryders ( Wizard of Oz), and I do not remember more without watching it again...

Oh, the very first thing that happened in their show was the the DM pulled out his baton from his collar area - a little poke at Phantom Regiment.

So, yea, VK was poking a little harmless fun at these corps during their Universal Studios / Hollywood tour show.... smile.gif

Jeff

Edited by jjeffeory

Ah, I remember. That was the same show VK didn't play "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" in order to make fun of Blue Devils. :tongue:

??? I thought VK made fun of BD that year by having the solo intentionally frak his solo at the end of 'Singin' in the Rain'.

Edited by jjeffeory

I lived within walking distance of the Manning Bowl in 1998 so I’m sure I saw them at least once that year, but I don’t remember “Sea Hawk.” You are also correct about BAC’s great ability to hang in there. There is no way 1999 should have been their first year as a finalist in DCI. I would argue that it should have been as early as 1977 or 78, certainly 94. Can you imagine how great a show if Boston made the top 12 in 1994, and the show ended with 27th’s “Once More in 94?” I can’t imagine a better night of drum corps.

Actually, BAC DID in fact play "The Seahawk" almost in its entirety 14 years ago. The show theme in 1998 was "Seascapes", using The Seahawk and Captain from Castille as the source material. The Korngold and Newman movie scores worked well together, plus giving the corps a great justification to end with Conquest. That year was one of several pivotal years where the corps found itself on the edge of extinction, but it perservered in any case and cracked the top 12 the very next year in 99. Great music (but brutal soprano notes...).

My high school played Sea Hawk in 2006 for our show Return to the Sea.

Least favorite part of the show (also played "Wind on the Water", "16 Men on a Dead Man's Chest" and "Eternal Father, Strong to Save")

Forgot we posted about that a few times. Sorry to say the lady I work with who went to PA States for fencing years ago hung it up for a hubby.

Yes....sadly, real life DOES have a way of getting in the way of a hobby that teaches you how to smack someone with a 90cm metal rod!)

LOL, Picturing Sam yelling at the screen ..."Technique.. technique.."\

No...you'd be more likely to hear me say "He attack, you NO counter-attack! Aiieeeee, my God!" in a fake Eastern-euro accent...which is basically every east Euro coach you'll ever meet (and I've pretty much had that confirmed by fellow fencers fro other clubs!)

Edited by 84BDsop

I lived within walking distance of the Manning Bowl in 1998 so Im sure I saw them at least once that year, but I dont remember Sea Hawk. You are also correct about BACs great ability to hang in there. There is no way 1999 should have been their first year as a finalist in DCI. I would argue that it should have been as early as 1977 or 78, certainly 94. Can you imagine how great a show if Boston made the top 12 in 1994, and the show ended with 27ths Once More in 94? I cant imagine a better night of drum corps.

Yes, I would posit that BAC's 1977, 1990, and 1994 shows all should have been finalists. It is interesting however, to wonder how the corps evolution might have been different if it HAD been a top 12 corps earlier.....speaking as someone who is absolutely thrilled with the corps current achievements, I sometimes wonder if it had been a finalist perhaps earlier, would it still be around? Or, would it have gone the way of 27th, Northstar, etc....hmmmm....perhaps things really do happen for a reason?

Edited by craiga

Yes....sadly, real life DOES have a way of getting in the way of a hobby that teaches you how to smack someone with a 90cm metal rod!)No...you'd be more likely to hear me say "He attack, you NO counter-attack! Aiieeeee, my God!" in a fake Eastern-euro accent...which is basically every east Euro coach you'll ever meet (and I've pretty much had that confirmed by fellow fencers fro other clubs!)

Daffy Duck's "Dodge, parry, thrust!" as Robin Hood took on a whole new meaning when I joined the fencing team in college. I loved every minute of it and I like to think that my conditioning from years of marching (esp. my legs) served me well during my collegiate career (left-handed foilist, only 5 fingers, though :tongue: )

-----------------

Regarding Phantom quoting other corps' music in their show: Wasn't that the year they did "Carnival of the Animals" by Saint-Saens? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Saint-Saens interspersed themes from other composers throughout that piece as a tribute to them and Phantom did likewise...

Daffy Duck's "Dodge, parry, thrust!" as Robin Hood took on a whole new meaning when I joined the fencing team in college. I loved every minute of it and I like to think that my conditioning from years of marching (esp. my legs) served me well during my collegiate career (left-handed foilist, only 5 fingers, though :tongue: )

I HATE fencing lefties in foil...I just can't put the point on, and since the timing change in 05, I can't parry-riposte with a flick to the shoulder. In epee and sabre I don't mind lefties so much.

-----------------

Regarding Phantom quoting other corps' music in their show: Wasn't that the year they did "Carnival of the Animals" by Saint-Saens? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Saint-Saens interspersed themes from other composers throughout that piece as a tribute to them and Phantom did likewise...

Yep...I remember them pocking fun at SVC and Madison during that sequence, as well as a few other corps....just like Saint-Saens did to his contemporaries.