Kitchenman Fired

skeptic

A bit touchy.

Hopkins would have been better off keeping his mouth shut and not adding to the simple factsabout the situation. Doing what he did in the way he typically does it leaves many people wonder. Treating people like he has over and over leaves people wonder. Damning Eric with faint praise, which I think is a fair evaluation of his public statement, doesn't show Hopkins in a very good light, period. You can defend him all you want- his track record with certain things like this release leaves me and others rather distrustful and skeptical about many of his motives. Like it- or lump it. That's the deal.

If you're *really* Eric's friend- I would believe you would readily agree with me in that he was more than capable of taking on this task and succeeding at an extremely high level at it. If so- then why are you so ready to gloss over what actions Hopkins took, and his associated statements? There had to be a reason for it, and it's clear he wants to bury it deep underground, as do you. Since Hopkins was rather curt in his statement that there would be no explanation-- He may as well have said- "I dare you to figure out why I did something that at face value makes no sense to anyone". A lack of transparency in any organization invites questions, regardless of whether it's corps, sports, government, or a business.

Really, it certainly sounds to me you're better friends with Hop than you are with Eric, and that you threw that comment in to try and reinforce your weak premises. The term "apologist" comes to mind....

Actually, I'm not touchy at all. Just amused by your hypocrisy, and I don't like seeing people ridiculed without facts to back it up. You would be well served to get some facts before you start trashing people. And by the way, I am not friends with Hopkins (although I do respect the time & effort he contributes to this little fringe activity). Additionally, I am friends with Eric and I bet he is being more mature about this decision than you are. Care to speculate some more?

• Like 4

Cadets 2 is YEA!s new entry into DCA. They have an age limit of 22-23(?), and plan on having a go at it.

An age limit in DCA? Why? Is that even allowed? That seems counter-productive to the whole DCA experience to me. Although, I am from the Midwest and spend lots of time with old drum corps geeks from the Govies, Chops, MBI, and the Kilties. Well, whatever. If that model is appealing to some, then go do it, if not, don't.

Jeff, you are correct, YEA is in need of some better PR people. With that being said, this does not make it right that there are those that love to speculate with little facts to back up their argument. If this was any other organization, most would be of the opinion that the decision was made in the best interest of the organization and all involved. Thanks for you thoughts Jeff

Well people speculate, guesstamate and everything else these days. And I'd throw the scandal sheets in the supermarkets and anything on that P.O.S. E! channel with diasecting every little tidbit. (Is so-and-so expecting or did she just get "fat".)

I'd say some of this is because it's Hopkins, some because of the age rule, some because it's YEA or a DCI corps coming into DCA. And some because of GHs history of posting what's on his mind instead of posting what would be better for YEA or the corps (still thinking of the Help Wanted a few years back).

Yeah spelling sucks this morning.

As for the age limit, some DCA corps have/had lower age limits for years. C2 is the only I heard of with an upper age limit. And DCA never dictated to any corps on age limits or single sex/co-ed limits. I'm old enough to remember Sky and Cabs as all male.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I went the opposite route with this. I read all of these threads, and THEN I read the article.

It only confirms what I already know which is the silliness of DCP.

The way the story has been twisted and the ridiculous speculations and of course trademark bashing all took place based on this? Not to mention the far reaching speculation on other things not at all related.

In any case, I am disappointed about the actual news. I marched under Eric and I think he is one of the greatest designers and greatest people I have been privileged to know.

I was and am still excited to see what Cadets2 brings out this year. Everyone acting like its gonna be terrible just because they have the textbook faux "Hatred" for Hopkins are going to be severely disappointed.

I just watched their february camp video and its already better than 90% of what I have ever heard out of a DCA corps. I marched 3 years in DCA, but I agree that C2 brings a certain legitimacy to the table.

I am a High School band director and although I have only ever given great testimony about DCA and encouraged my students over the years to check it out, very few have been willing. There is a very real sense among

young people that the only "legit" corps up to now has been the Bucs (or the Brigs back in the early 2000s). I think that has started to disappear as the overall quality has improved but C2 will give that process a nice shove

in the right direction. Obviously not on DCP, but with younger students who are still weighing their drum corps options, it does. There is a very real buzz about this corps.

• Like 2

A bit touchy.

Hopkins would have been better off keeping his mouth shut and not adding to the simple factsabout the situation. Doing what he did in the way he typically does it leaves many people wonder. Treating people like he has over and over leaves people wonder. Damning Eric with faint praise, which I think is a fair evaluation of his public statement, doesn't show Hopkins in a very good light, period. You can defend him all you want- his track record with certain things like this release leaves me and others rather distrustful and skeptical about many of his motives. Like it- or lump it. That's the deal.

If you're *really* Eric's friend- I would believe you would readily agree with me in that he was more than capable of taking on this task and succeeding at an extremely high level at it. If so- then why are you so ready to gloss over what actions Hopkins took, and his associated statements? There had to be a reason for it, and it's clear he wants to bury it deep underground, as do you. Since Hopkins was rather curt in his statement that there would be no explanation-- He may as well have said- "I dare you to figure out why I did something that at face value makes no sense to anyone". A lack of transparency in any organization invites questions, regardless of whether it's corps, sports, government, or a business.

Really, it certainly sounds to me you're better friends with Hop than you are with Eric, and that you threw that comment in to try and reinforce your weak premises. The term "apologist" comes to mind....

I will have to agree. I remembe rthe infamous "wanted" rant the other year when an office person left for, in Hop's words, "love".

Yeah. that young lady had a family member overseas that was very ill. That's the kind of love the young lady was trying to take care of. If you go by Hop's release at the time, it sounded like he was making fun of a young 20 something chasing after the opposite sex.

I remember a big thread on here about it. Shame is, she's a lovely young lady, and it had to hurt.

Never did see an apology or retraction either

• Like 1

Jeff, you are correct, YEA is in need of some better PR people. With that being said, this does not make it right that there are those that love to speculate with little facts to back up their argument. If this was any other organization, most would be of the opinion that the decision was made in the best interest of the organization and all involved. Thanks for you thoughts Jeff

speculation is the name of the world. Read a sports blog. Read a political blog. People will speculate about a coach being fired when he only won 58 games in baseball. I mean DUH...the team sucked....how much more do you need to know?

An age limit in DCA? Why? Is that even allowed? That seems counter-productive to the whole DCA experience to me. Although, I am from the Midwest and spend lots of time with old drum corps geeks from the Govies, Chops, MBI, and the Kilties. Well, whatever. If that model is appealing to some, then go do it, if not, don't.

one of those corps you mentioned has an age limit. No one under a certain age without a parent involved.

It may depend on the area. It may also depend on staff loyalties. In Eastern PA, you know the Bucs, and to some extent Cabs, Fusion and Windsor. North Jersey...you know Cabs ad Bush, probably Fusion. Rochester? You can't go anywhere without tripping over Empire.

Western PA...not so much. no corps out there.

Some of it also applies to how corps recruit or make their presence known. You could say the same thing about the Cadets and Allentown....when I ask family down there about the Cadets, they still think they're from Jersey, not from being in Allentown how long now?

Your last statement is funny, because it also applies to Bush...did you know they are now located in the Princeton area, just a couple minute drive to Windsor Regiment?

I do think with DCA the knowledge level and participation by HS band kids is very dependent on both geography and band staff attitude/connections, more so than with DCI corps, since DCA is a local-based circuit. This is a good thing, IMO.

Your last statement is funny, because it also applies to Bush...did you know they are now located in the Princeton area, just a couple minute drive to Windsor Regiment?

I do think with DCA the knowledge level and participation by HS band kids is very dependent on both geography and band staff attitude/connections, more so than with DCI corps, since DCA is a local-based circuit. This is a good thing, IMO.

I didn't know Bush moved. I can't even keep up wuth who is playing what and who is teaching who let alone who is based where.

I will say though Bucs have reached in Western PA some, and MD a lot too. Fusion has also had some MD tie-ins.

DCI didnt get to be what it is now overnight, and really, DCA's real foray into expansion has only been in the last 15 years or so, not counting the Midwest corps who were their own littleisland for so many years.