Kitchenman Fired

skeptic

DCPD does not stand for DC Police Department, it's drum corps planet drama!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

No, but it does stand for Daly City (CA) Police Department. :tongue:

Thanks!

Does anyone really think YEA started C2 for the betterment of the activity? Would it not be better for the activity in all the DCI, DCA and alumni corps in our region worked together to promote the activity to new members & fans as a whole? Instead we fight for the same small recruiting pool, our fan base is only ex drum corps people! If we all worked together to bring in more new members and filled the current corps, then there would be a need for more corps. If we did that there would be new fans buying tickets to all our shows....and the bottom line is $$$!

I am not saying I have all the answers but we keep doing things the same way every year and the activity is NOT growing.

Just my opinion. :thumbup:

Tommy

Personally, I did not give two licks for DCA until the Cadets 2 "promoted" the DCA activity. Now I might actually check out the DCA circuit because of Cadets2. Obviously, if YEA is spending money creating a corps to perform in DCA they obviously find DCA to be a viable long-term investment which hinges on DCA being as strong and as healthy as possible. Why would they put this much money into it if they wanted to "hurt" the activity they are trying to be a part of??

The Cadets2 have created nothing but buzz about DCA in the DCI fanbase so I don't see your point about C2 hurting the activity.

I imagine many people who are joining Cadets2 are high-school aged kids from USSBA bands that had no idea what DCA even was until YEA created the Cadets2. In the summer, all those highschool kids' friends will go to shows and watch all the DCA corps in action and find it to be a great alternative to DCI and their highschool marching band! This is NOT fighting for the same small pool. It's opening up the pool if anything!

I doubt you've experienced a personal loss in your numbers because of Cadets2 recruitment. You would know better than me of-course.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

Thanks!

Does anyone really think YEA started C2 for the betterment of the activity? Would it not be better for the activity in all the DCI, DCA and alumni corps in our region worked together to promote the activity to new members & fans as a whole? Instead we fight for the same small recruiting pool, our fan base is only ex drum corps people! If we all worked together to bring in more new members and filled the current corps, then there would be a need for more corps. If we did that there would be new fans buying tickets to all our shows....and the bottom line is $$$!

I am not saying I have all the answers but we keep doing things the same way every year and the activity is NOT growing.

Tommy

The other issue here is the expense, Tom. 1500 dollars is ten times what I paid in dues for Westshore 30 years ago. Even adjusting for inflation- that corps is expensive and is significantly more than I paid for my excellent instruction from people like Eric, Frank Dorrite, Ray Eyler, Dave Rohrer, and Mel Stratton. That money gets you 9-12 credits at our local Community college- and to be blunt, most school districts and administrators hold corps experience utterly valueless when they're hiring. It's not a Big Ten college band, which is what they envision as good.

As much as I dislike a lot of what YEA!/Hopkins has been doing and pulling- I hope they field the corps, I hope they compete, I hope they put up a heck of a fight! I think the main issue is- and I'm sure you know Eric, as do likely thousands of us in Bands and Corps that he's taught over 30 years-- The guy is tough, intense, a competitor, and also a great educator, hard worker and good guy that most of us deeply respect. He taught ME how to teach movment and gave me the tools. Many of us know people who have worked for YEA!, and they all don't last, and there are good reasons they left, and it's not on their end of it that's the problem. I may well be adding Eric to the list of good folks YEA! has jacked around. Hop just keeps making it longer....

• Like 1

Who is Cadets2?

• Like 8

Who is Cadets2?

Ladies and gentlemen, I submit this for post of the year. :tongue:

• Like 4

Personally, I did not give two licks for DCA until the Cadets 2 "promoted" the DCA activity. Now I might actually check out the DCA circuit because of Cadets2. Obviously, if YEA is spending money creating a corps to perform in DCA they obviously find DCA to be a viable long-term investment which hinges on DCA being as strong and as healthy as possible. Why would they put this much money into it if they wanted to "hurt" the activity they are trying to be a part of??

The Cadets2 have created nothing but buzz about DCA in the DCI fanbase so I don't see your point about C2 hurting the activity.

I imagine many people who are joining Cadets2 are high-school aged kids from USSBA bands that had no idea what DCA even was until YEA created the Cadets2. In the summer, all those highschool kids' friends will go to shows and watch all the DCA corps in action and find it to be a great alternative to DCI and their highschool marching band! This is NOT fighting for the same small pool. It's opening up the pool if anything!

I doubt you've experienced a personal loss in your numbers because of Cadets2 recruitment. You would know better than me of-course.

While I believe some of what your saying has merit, I have to ask.. why did Cadets2 coming into DCA suddenly make the circuit a viable option for you? What did Cadets2 bring to the table in DCA that wasn't already there before?

The answer is: nothing.

As you said, for Hopkins to consider DCA as a platform for his business, clearly the circuit has a substantial foundation for which figures to continue on. That foundation was already here long before Cadets2 showed up.

Tom has a good point. Rather than using Cadets2 as a catalyst for new awareness and recruitment, if the entire drum corps community just got together and promoted the activity as a whole, and promoted it better than how it is now, the results, including audience attendance and talent pool, would be even better.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Tommy

:worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1