DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

JBC has parking issues even when it's not the Fair week

Only drove there for Prelims and parked on the side streets on the bottom. Except for the year we tried parking in the supermarket(?)parking lot and guy said with a smile "Here for the show?". When told yes the smile disappeared and he yelled "CAN'T PARK HERE!".

So we parked on the street in from of where he was sitting. :devil: Think the was the year someone got side swiped as they tried to leave. Heard the hit and saw the chrome strips flying... :shutup:

but I also know Allentown isn't ready to hold it without some revisions. DCA is an older crowd than DCI East, and that hill is a #####. Now add in walking from somewhere up on Hamilton, because you won't be able to park by the Fair.

Add in wheelchair access needed and :thumbdown:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Rutgers would be great... but from what I understand, the administration there has been cool to the idea of holding marching events at that stadium. I don't know if that situation has changed in recent years.

Plus... like any other college stadium situation... if there's a home game on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, then drum corps is a nonstarter.

I watched part of the Princeton U. game Saturday... and honest to God, that Princeton stadium looks wonderful. That town is awesome, too.

Rutgers would be great... but from what I understand, the administration there has been cool to the idea of holding marching events at that stadium. I don't know if that situation has changed in recent years.

Actually, the USBands NJ State Champs are being held at Rutgers on 11/3 and 11/4. I am surprised, as they have been tough on marching events over time.

I watched part of the Princeton U. game Saturday... and honest to God, that Princeton stadium looks wonderful. That town is awesome, too.

A perfect place...and town!!!!

Actually, the USBands NJ State Champs are being held at Rutgers on 11/3 and 11/4. I am surprised, as they have been tough on marching events over time.

That's good news. Maybe opinions are changing there.

But what if it's not held at J. Birney Crum as everyone seems to be anticipating? What if it's held at say Lehigh University football field? The Philadelphia Eagles hold their camp at Lehigh and the fields, many of them with probably enough for every corps to have their own! And parking is more than enough for 10,000 cars and lodging keeps popping up all over the Lehigh Valley.

I stopped by there when I was out east for Allentown to do some profiles for my stadium blog. Lehigh is an absolutely GORGEOUS venue- lots of seating on both sides, placed in a bowl so acoustics should be good, and some spectacularly beautiful scenery around to look at. Lots of parking and warmup areas on-site, but I had the sense that getting corps vehicles (busses and trucks) in there on some of those narrow, winding roads would be an absolute pain in the ### (but then again, the Iggles get in there somehow so I'm assuming it's possible).

Another option is over in Easton. Lafayette University's Fisher Field is at least a bit more accessible although there's no parking whatsoever and I get the sense that it rains a lot there.

Other than that, the only other good, sizeable east coast venues I can think of are Harvard Stadium in Boston, BMO Field in Toronto, Schoelkopf Field up in Ithaca NY or UB, although I've performed at UB and wasn't a fan of the track around the stadium. Hofstra on Long Island recently cut their football program but the stadium's kinda smallish (only one level, no upper deck). Liberty U in Lynchburg VA just upgraded their stadium to make it seat 20K, but it's very out of the way and very much in "bible belt" country. Brown U in Providence doesn't have the parking or the marching surface. I'd say UDelaware, but Jeff's yelled at me enough in the past about that one for me to know better :tongue:

You know Stanford stadium has lights :), but hornet stadium doesn't know how to turn their's on.

Hershey, PA. Is their stadium too small. Great parking, good access, lots of hotels. Definitely a place to bring the family. A travel dream for Westshoremen!

IIRC each side of the stadium seats 8,000. Parking contends with HersheyPark over Labor Day and hope the tram cars to the back 40 of the parking lots are still running by end of Finals. Haven't been in the stadium for about 5+ years but bathrooms needed a major upgrade not to mention additions. For Springsteen and FarmAid concerts (30-35K) there are Jiffy Johns all over the place.

Wonder if DCA could get a written contract with the owners of the stadium. (Reason for regular season show went away...). And too many horror stories working at the October car show in Hershey to want to remember dealing with HERCO security. :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Matt, did Lehigh have lights? Everything I can find online says no

Not that I remember. Too bad, it's an amazing place otherwise.