Northern Illinois Football

Did they have the same coaching staff back then? Maybe he's the one who should be charged.

One of NIU's own color guard instructors is married to the director of a top 12 DCI corps. Wonder what her take on the whole situation is.

Did they have the same coaching staff back then? Maybe he's the one who should be charged.

No, the coaching staff changed pretty recently, so it's different people at the head, which seems weird that the same behavior would occur again. Because didn't the Cap Regiment thing happen in 2002 or 2003?

The fact that a NIU player was the culprit both times is pure coincidence. The Capital Regiment incident happened back in the early part of the decade and MAC coaches jump around (to get to higher paying jobs).

Also, the 8 years in jail thing is not a fact. Merely one of the worst possible scenarios for the player.

Honestly I don't think a criminal charge was necessary unless the UT band member was injured.

The fact that a NIU player was the culprit both times is pure coincidence. The Capital Regiment incident happened back in the early part of the decade and MAC coaches jump around (to get to higher paying jobs).

Also, the 8 years in jail thing is not a fact. Merely one of the worst possible scenarios for the player.

Honestly I don't think a criminal charge was necessary unless the UT band member was injured.

Very true. Plus I'm pretty sure the coach that ordered players to storm the field while Cap Reg was practicing was fired. These two incidents are coincidental, but they still do not reflect well on NIU's football program. Control your players, coaches.

• Like 1

good. that said, I don't think he should get anywhere near 8 years. Probation and community service is probably acceptable.

They should make him line the practice field, clean the horns and drums, and strip and tape the flags for a season. And clean-up after meal time as well.

Community service for the community he so grossly disrespected. :thumbup:

• Like 2

They should make him line the practice field, clean the horns and drums, and strip and tape the flags for a season. And clean-up after meal time as well.

Community service for the community he so grossly disrespected. :thumbup:

I was seriously thinking the same thing. Have him spend time helping the band out in some way. Perhaps (in a Utopian world of rainbows and unicorns) he would gain an appreciation of the work that the band kids to.

The real hero here is the clarinet player, who, in the last few frames of the video, can be seen stepping in front of the downed piccolo player with his or her arms raised, apparently trying to make sure none of the other football players step on the downed band member. :worthy:

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 5

Just a thought to all you football players and fans....how would you like to go to a football game without cheerleaders and a marching band? I would think it would be pretty boring. Anyone remember when NBC did a football game without announcers? Guess that experiment didn't go to well.

• Like 1