Move DCI to Santa Clara!

Moving finals around might require some logistical changes. Look at this years August 5th schedule. http://www.dci.org/schedule/?week=Week8 If the finals were on the west coast this year, corps need to be at the final site by the 8th. What is the max miles corps are allowed to travel each day? Isn't it around 400? :confused: Or is there only an overnight restriction? Anyhoo, that's a lot of miles plus stops for rehearsing, sleeping, eating, etc. Extra CDL drivers would be needed. The late July early August schedule might have to be tweaked some.

That being said, I think if we had a set rotation where the same city & arena were on a four year rotation (say Indy, Boston, Kansas City, San Francisco) it might ease the corps a little bit and maintain some stability.

George may not be a happy camper if NJ/NY was not chosen as the east coast location.

Moving finals around might require some logistical changes. Look at this years August 5th schedule. http://www.dci.org/schedule/?week=Week8 If the finals were on the west coast this year, corps need to be at the final site by the 8th. What is the max miles corps are allowed to travel each day? Isn't it around 400? :confused: Or is there only an overnight restriction? Anyhoo, that's a lot of miles plus stops for rehearsing, sleeping, eating, etc. Extra CDL drivers would be needed. The late July early August schedule might have to be tweaked some.

This is true, and I imagine it was a logistical hassle having to re-work the summer tour schedule to accommodate corps going west. I also imagine that is one of the big factors why DCI has only been west of the rockies once.

Moving finals around might require some logistical changes. Look at this years August 5th schedule. http://www.dci.org/s...ule/?week=Week8 If the finals were on the west coast this year, corps need to be at the final site by the 8th. What is the max miles corps are allowed to travel each day? Isn't it around 400? :confused: Or is there only an overnight restriction? Anyhoo, that's a lot of miles plus stops for rehearsing, sleeping, eating, etc. Extra CDL drivers would be needed. The late July early August schedule might have to be tweaked some.

I remember in 2007 when Champs were on the west coast... Allentown was the first Sat/Sun in July rather than the first Fri/Sat in August. (In fact, looking at the scores for that year, it looks like the schedule format in use today was turned on its head) I remember loving nearly every show put on that year (I still maintain that 2007 was among the best years EVER for DCI), but wishing it was in August again since the final push meant seeing many "new" endings for the first time. I thought the classic DCI show was the perfect spot for that.

DCI should do NOTHING, including holding Championships on the West Coast, that isn't the be best financial interests of the organization. That's really the end of this debate: if holding Championships in San Francisco is not in DCI best financially interests, then it shouldn't be done.

Is there any evidence that the 2007 championships location put any additional financial burdens on corps? Doing it on a rotating basis makes sense. Cadets, PR and Cavaliers (and Star in the old days) make occassional West Coast trips so what differnce does it make whether they come out West in June, July or Augsut?

All of this geographic talk is interesting but ignores some important factors:

1. Indianapolis is world-class convention center. It has the hotel rooms, the restaurants, the infrastructure to handle large gatherings (like the Superbowl, NCAA Championships, Big Ten Championships, Pan-Am Games, BOA...not to mention the Indianapolis 500).

2. There is a large, committed marching fan base both in Indiana and in near adjacent states. In addition, schools, facilities, and so on are available close by in Indy, Carmel, Bloomington, etc.

3. Say what you will, Lucas Oil is a very nice place to watch anything. No bad seats, protection from the weather, brand new facilities, almost no security problems, great parking, and so on.

Having been there the last 3 years, I can say that I encountered no one who was unhappy about the place who was there. Of course, this is not a scientific sample, but many of the anti-Lucas folks on here seem to have not been there. "I'll never go to finals in a dome...Allentown is much more pure..." blah blah blah. I think the attendance and enthusiasm for DCI in Indy has been proven, and at some point people will just have to say, "They were right, I was wrong."

having been there, and also not being scientific in my research, I know many people that were there, thought the sound sucked, and the lack of appeal to go there every year until who knows when turned them off.

which kind of sucks, it's made getting good seats at Allentowen harder

Oregon Crusaders: Portland to Indy: 2237 miles

BD -- Concord to Indy: 2229 miles

Pacific Crest -- Chino Hills to Indy: 2042 miles

Crossmen -- San Antonio to Indy: 1173 miles

Troopers -- Cheyenne to Indy: 1078 miles

Cadets -- Allentown to Indy: 622 miles

Spirit -- Atlanta to Indy: 534 miles

Colts -- Dubuque to Indy: 375 miles

Cavaliers -- Chicago to Indy: 187 miles

"Centrally located" my ###....

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I'm a nerd so I ran some of the numbers. Looking at the top 25 world class corps, its clear that a west coast championships is not practical for the corps we currently have involved in the circuit. The total and average miles driven would be nearly doubled, 2 corps and their fans would be asked to travel over 3,000 miles, and in general, it would require far more travel in contrast to any of the other 3 scenarios. Championships in the DC area (hypothetical east coast location) would also be impractical in comparison, although much more advantageous to more groups than a Santa Clara championships. The lowest total number of miles traveled would be, not surprisingly, where championships currently reside in indianapolis. There is a solid argument, however for a championships somewhere like Kansas City. The average miles traveled would be a little higher, but there is a bit more parity in the numbers traveled by each corps.

Bottom line is, Indy is where championships are, and will be for the foreseeable future. It is, in fact, centrally located for the existing corps in the DCI circuit. There are far more corps on the eastern side of the country than on the west. Its is unfortunate for the west coast corps who often have to travel a bit more, but the fact is, that's the problem with a national championship. You can't please everyone.

From the corps base of operations, to Indianapolis:

Cadets 622 miles

Blue Devils 2229 miles

Cavaliers 187 miles

Crown 595 miles

Phantom Regiment 269 miles

Santa Clara Vanguard 2282 miles

Bluecoats 302 miles

Crusaders 975 miles

Blue Stars 463 miles

Madison Scouts 320 miles

Blue Knights 1085 miles

Spirit 534 miles

Glassmen 222 miles

Troopers 1078 miles

Academy 1690 miles

Colts 375 miles

Crossmen 1173 miles

Pacific Crest 2042 miles

Mandarins 2164 miles

Teal Sound 849 miles

Blue Devils B 2229 miles

Seattle Cascades 2246 miles

Vanguard Cadets 2282 miles

Jersey Surf 672 miles

Spartans 995 miles

Total miles = 23,882

Average number of miles driven = 955.28

Lowest number of miles driven = 187

Highest number of miles driven = 2282

Number of corps asked to drive more than 1,000 miles = 11

Number of corps asked to drive more than 2,000 miles = 7

Number of corps asked to drive more than 3,000 miles = 0

Same numbers if championships were in Santa Clara:

Cadets 2880 miles

Blue Devils 54 miles

Cavaliers 2158 miles

Crown 2684 miles

Phantom Regiment 2116 miles

Santa Clara Vanguard 0 miles

Bluecoats 2535 miles

Crusaders 3128 miles

Blue Stars 2104 miles

Madison Scouts 2122 miles

Blue Knights 1301 miles

Spirit 2436 miles

Glassmen 2388 miles

Troopers 1173 miles

Academy 723 miles

Colts 2030 miles

Crossmen 1696 miles

Pacific Crest 372 miles

Mandarins 118 miles

Teal Sound 2759 miles

Blue Devils B 54 miles

Seattle Cascades 839 miles

Vanguard Cadets 0 miles

Jersey Surf 2935 miles

Spartans 3146 miles

Total miles = 41,751

Average number of miles driven = 1,670

Lowest number of miles driven = 0

Highest number of miles driven = 3,146

Number of corps asked to drive more than 1,000 miles = 17

Number of corps asked to drive more than 2,000 miles = 11

Number of corps asked to drive more than 3,000 miles = 2

Kansas City:

Cadets 1103 miles

Blue Devils 1785 miles

Cavaliers 522 miles

Crown 972 miles

Phantom Regiment 480 miles

Santa Clara Vanguard 1842 miles

Bluecoats 783 miles

Crusaders 1431 miles

Blue Stars 468 miles

Madison Scouts 458 miles

Blue Knights 599 miles

Spirit 802 miles

Glassmen 735 miles

Troopers 814 miles

Academy 1194 miles

Colts 393 miles

Crossmen 812 miles

Pacific Crest 1595 miles

Mandarins 1719 miles

Teal Sound 1188 miles

Blue Devils B 1785 miles

Seattle Cascades 1890 miles

Vanguard Cadets 1842 miles

Jersey Surf 1155 miles

Spartans 1449 miles

Total miles = 27,786

Average number of miles driven = 1,111

Lowest number of miles driven = 393

Highest number of miles driven = 1890

Number of corps asked to drive more than 1,000 miles = 13

Number of corps asked to drive more than 2,000 miles = 0

Baltimore MD (lets pick a spot central to the East Coast just for giggles):

Cadets 142 miles

Blue Devils 2798 miles

Cavaliers 717 miles

Crown 479 miles

Phantom Regiment 789 miles

Santa Clara Vanguard 2885 miles

Bluecoats 339 miles

Crusaders 410 miles

Blue Stars 982 miles

Madison Scouts 848 miles

Blue Knights 1672 miles

Spirit 699 miles

Glassmen 472 miles

Troopers 1827 miles

Academy 878 miles

Colts 878 miles

Crossmen 1639 miles

Pacific Crest 2643 miles

Mandarins 2732 miles

Teal Sound 749 miles

Blue Devils B 2798 miles

Seattle Cascades 2765 miles

Vanguard Cadets 2885 miles

Jersey Surf 119 miles

Spartans 428 miles

Total miles = 30,775

Average number of miles driven = 1,231

Lowest number of miles driven = 119

Highest number of miles driven = 2885

Number of corps asked to drive more than 1,000 miles = 10

Number of corps asked to drive more than 2,000 miles = 6

yet it's practical that the state with the most DCI titles, has received finals in their state ONCE...just ONCE...in 40 years, and that the fans out there have only seen August action twice when you consider the original tour of champions gigs however many years ago.

########. Look, I live in PA. I love having Allentown late in the year. But if that were to change in order to give Cali some August love, i'd be all for it. I'd make a vacation out of it when my daughter is old enough. I'm sure I'll be back to Indy before the current deal is up, but I'm not chomping at the bit to go there again, and certainly not for 10 years in a row.

If the West Coast Corps keep having to suck it up year after year, that is, IMO, the greatest crime in DCI history. "oh the poor East Coast corps" blah blah blah ########....spare me. if Hop can find the money every year for new guard uniforms mid season, he can find the money to go to Cali for finals.

• Like 3

You can literally make this argument for almost all of the venues DCI has hosted Championships; even traffic around Madison sucks, and housings sights for some corps could be pretty far away.

As for the crowds, in 2007 in Pasadena the crowds I was around were pretty hyped for all the corps. Of course they were louder for west coast corps, but you get that everywhere. For as sacred as Allentown seems to be, I think that crowd is one of the worst crowds in DCI unless you're Cadets (and used to be Crossmen).

Allentown isn't as pro Cadets as you would think, unless they're really good

yet it's practical that the state with the most DCI titles, has received finals in their state ONCE...just ONCE...in 40 years, and that the fans out there have only seen August action twice when you consider the original tour of champions gigs however many years ago.

Basing your argument on how many championships have been won in a given region eliminates the concept of practicality. At that point it becomes about what is fair, or what individual corps do or don't deserve more than it is about practicality. So no, it is not practical to have championships on the West coast. Would it be nice to do if it were practical, sure. Don't get me wrong, I hate it for the west coast corps, but the fact is, the western half of our country is big and empty. There aren't anywhere near as many people, much less corps between Kansas City and California as there are from Kansas City to DC. That's the reality of living on the West Coast in general. If you want to go anywhere that isn't on the west coast, you're going to travel farther. Stuff is more spread out on that half of the country.

Again, DCI has survived largely due to savvy business operations. Making the majority of the member base, not to mention fan base travel twice as far to championships, simply to satisfy the minority is just not good business sense.

• Like 4