Move DCI to Santa Clara!

Basing your argument on how many championships have been won in a given region eliminates the concept of practicality....

I don't think Jeff was arguing to schedule finals based on who won championships. But it is absurd that this event has been held only one time in 40 years anywhere west of the Rockies. I understand financial considerations, etc.

Did holding finals in CA in 2007 really kill corps' budgets that year? Did DCI go broke after that? Did those big bad Californians steal everyone's PB&J's? Did some corps' wagon train break down in the Mojave and the members had to resort to cannibalism in order to survive? Was there a massive snow storm crossing the Sierras and certain east coast corps had to make sleds in order to slide down the west side into Pasadena? Did corps buses lose the Oregon Trail and end up missing their left turn at Albuquerque?

The 2007 Finals was one of the best attended of all time, so why not try and capture that audience?

That large audience probably had a lot to do with Finals being out there for the first time.

Did holding finals in CA in 2007 really kill corps' budgets that year? Did DCI go broke after that? Did those big bad Californians steal everyone's PB&J's? Did some corps' wagon train break down in the Mojave and the members had to resort to cannibalism in order to survive? Was there a massive snow storm crossing the Sierras and certain east coast corps had to make sleds in order to slide down the west side into Pasadena? Did corps buses lose the Oregon Trail and end up missing their left turn at Albuquerque?

I dunno, but you might want to start by asking the kids that got mugged and had their belongings stolen.

Also, the field at the Rose Bowl sucked, and having to bus from warmup to the gate should not be acceptable.

IMO, the Rose Bowl was a crappy venue.

I dunno, but you might want to start by asking the kids that got mugged and had their belongings stolen.

Also, the field at the Rose Bowl sucked, and having to bus from warmup to the gate should not be acceptable.

Are you for real? Maybe you should look at a map of CA. You may notice that the Rose Bowl is in Pasadena. Pasadena is in Southern CA, you know like LA. Santa Clara is in Northern CA, like San Francisco! Some of the arguments in this thread are beyond stupid.

• Like 2

Ive lived in Santa Clara all my life. Our city is nothing like Pasadena, quite frankly, the crime rate in Southern CA is much higher than Santa Clara. And only few people have stated this, Santa Clara is in NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. The tuba thefts are happening in Southern California. The surrounding area of the stadium (San Jose,Santa Clara,Sunnyvale) is 100x safer than Southern California. We have plenty of schools in the bay area that can house corps, Santa Clara has dozens of hotels (especially around the stadium) for spectators.

Again...like that didn't happen in previous years??? Hell, we had a guard girl get accosted after the Pt. Huron show in 84...and shall I mention the Boston guard girl who was assaulted in Miami in 83, (if I rememeber the story correctly) or the blatant racism aimed at one of BD's black players in the deep south that same year?

• Like 1

I know of another finals site that had same problems. Need a clue? Look at my sig. Never mind. Sam just mentioned it

Next!

Edited by skajerk

I was accosted when I traveled alone :( In 1979 flying from a Chicago to Atlanta, a fellow asked me to marry him. In 1983, the Miami cab driver asked me to marry him 'cause he likes the Rocky Mountains. Get real! Scared me from going to a drum corps show alone. Now I go with a group if the group will go.

From our area to Santa Clara it's approx. 1,200 miles. From our area to T.O. approx. 1,600 miles and T.O. to Indy 400 = 2,000 miles and a 12 hour day from wake up to feet up. I'll sit on the fence in this thread ;)

I'm for it, but I think many are focused more on incorporating the current state of the economy rather than just a simple yes or no.

It would be about a 20 minute walk from home for me. San Jose is the 10th-largest city in the U.S. with close to 1mil (it's the largest city in the SF Bay Area). The stadium is going to be built right next to California's Great America amusement park, and right across the street from the Santa Clara Convention Center (hello I & E). The Convention Center is also anchored to the Hyatt hotel which would be the ideal host for DCI in general. Other major hotels nearby include Hilton & Ramada. There is a light rail system already in place with the station practically at the doorstep, and the stadium is easily accessible by two freeways. San Jose Mineta International Airport is about 10 minutes away. There is also an Amtrak stop just on the other side of the 49ers training facility.

If you want to visit San Francisco, it's about a 30-45 minute drive north (and I'm being nicely vague). For those who want more heart-pounding adventure, Oakland isn't that far away either. Napa Valley is in the north bay. Santa Cruz & Monterey are about 45 min. to an hour to the south. If you're lucky and the winds are just right, you could wake up to the smell of garlic coming from Gilroy.

Stanford Stadium is not big enough for a Finals crowd. It seats 30,000 less than its original shell.

Having it here just once will make a lot of people happy, and would be well attended me thinks. It's not very hot, not very humid, and no rain makes for an ideal August night.

It's just one of those bucket list things.

New Santa Clara Stadium