Interesting DCA Season START

I did before I posted. I looked at Bucs, MBI, Hurcs, Empire, Cabs, Renegades, and Bush. The weekend schedules, give or take 2 days overall, are close to the same.

Then, after you posted, I went back and looked through all those calendars and made a chart. You know what I found??...

.... well for starters, I spend way too much time at work focusing on this forum. But also....

From April 1st to June 10th:

Bucs: 147 rehearsal hours

Empire: 143 rehearsal hours

Hurcs: 142 rehearsal hours

Cabs: 177 rehearsal hours

MBI: 89 rehearsal hours

Renegades: 106 rehearsal hours

Bush: Not enough information to be even close to accurate.

Now, just to be clear.... Here is how I recorded this information. I sampled each corps calender of scheduled events, including parades, performances, family days, etc. I EXCLUDED calendared rehearsal time that was section specific. Example: Corps A has percussion only one day from 9-5. I did not include that time because it was not corps wide.

My definition of corps wide is all available sections; I.E Brass and Percussion together, than Brass, Percussion, and Color Guard once they start becoming included in the schedule.

Similarly, days where JUST BRASS were rehearsing were not included either. In total, these exceptions only accounted for 18 hours total and for only one corps. I felt including this time was like cataloging independent rehearsal time for one corps, that could not be duplicated for the rest of the study, giving one corps a clear advantage when one does not clearly exist.

I still believe my ultimate point still stands and that is that these corps are all working equally as hard. Bucs, Empire, Hurcs, and Cabs seem all in the same ball park. MBI is the only corps I saw to have weekday rehearsals but seems to operate on a different schedule design. I'm not looking to belabor this point any longer. I'd like to think I've done enough homework to back up my point but anyone reading this is certainly welcome to pick it apart further. (Lets be honest, that's why well all surf these forums...)

See you on the 48...(I always liked to be the guy 2 steps off)

not defending on either side of this discussion BUT IMO #of hours means nothing.....focused rehearsals do. ( not saying some dont focus, just sayin )...traveling members? so what? Thats what one chooses to do....There were corps in August STILL with the same design issues, or still dirty as hell as they were in June....Sometime Staff just trys to argue their points till theres no time left....maybe some corps just listen better.....JMO

Kyle, if you're referring to Ken's fall in 2009...That is epic!!! And who wouldn't fall on a muddy field with slick grass.

Oh man... that was crazy that day.

After the rain on and off all day... it looked like the skies were clearing. Then seemingly out of nowhere that huge storm blew in, just as Carolina Gold was getting set to start their show.

With standing water on the front sideline... the field had to be "re-set" back a few yards. I give the corps that day all the credit in the world for not having more problems than they did, in those conditions.

not defending on either side of this discussion BUT IMO #of hours means nothing.....focused rehearsals do. ( not saying some dont focus, just sayin )...traveling members? so what? Thats what one chooses to do....There were corps in August STILL with the same design issues, or still dirty as hell as they were in June....Sometime Staff just trys to argue their points till theres no time left....maybe some corps just listen better.....JMO

I would agree. If irishbugle's calculations are accurate, it goes to show that more practice doesnt mean you will be the best.

• Like 1

Oh man... that was crazy that day.

After the rain on and off all day... it looked like the skies were clearing. Then seemingly out of nowhere that huge storm blew in, just as Carolina Gold was getting set to start their show.

With standing water on the front sideline... the field had to be "re-set" back a few yards. I give the corps that day all the credit in the world for not having more problems than they did, in those conditions.

After standing in that front sideline puddle for a while, my shoes slowly began to fall apart as I later walked back to my car. So much for Dinkles being able to beat any weather....

After standing in that front sideline puddle for a while, my shoes slowly began to fall apart as I later walked back to my car. So much for Dinkles being able to beat any weather....

I had a pair of leather strapped flip-flops totally disintegrate on me that night after waiting out the deluge in the ankle-deep lake under the bleachers (Guarding the back gate, watching the storm approach from the west over the bay, I thought I'd escape unscathed. Hah!). Good thing the rest of the night was barefoot weather :tongue: .

Maybe, but are they all working equally SMART? That's the real question.

And that's the real answer. Working "smart" is the solution. I was actually surprised by the analysis of the rehearsal times of the top corps. MBI seems to come in quite a bit under the others. But I know they have an extremely efficient rehearsal ethic. There is minimal downtime and there is a strict protocol among the staff on the scaffold, the drummajor, the field staff and the marching members. But they also don't take themselves too seriously and there are plenty of laughs as well. And I think the latter is the key to success. Be efficient, controlled and to the point. But - for heaven's sake - have fun.** Otherwise it's not worth it.

** Case in point: MBI's infamous "underwear" run-through at DCA: The final Sunday rehearsal run-through before the final show. It's been a tradition as long as I can remember!

Edited by Ron H

Why does the perception exist today that ONLY the Bucs come to the first show prepared? Last year being an exception, Wildwood usually sees at least three or four corps with complete shows and no more than a few holes. If not Wildwood, certainly Bridgeport. I think this perception is what is most frustrating to me. Even though all the Top 7 corps are matching each others rehearsal schedule hour for hour in the off season, there is this constant knock on the lesser 6-5 corps with this idea that those corps just simply aren't working hard enough. How should the 500+ members of those corps take that idea? When they are putting in 20+ solid hours of 100% rehearsal time EVERY weekend from February on (plus a heavy commitment to rehearsal during the week), most of which driving 5+ hours and spending $ a weekend in a time of recession. Yes, that's Drum Corps. And that's what we all love about it. But when these other corps are working as hard as they can, pushing harder every weekend, and we simply just dismiss their ethic with a flip of our hand; "they simply aren't working hard enough", it's easy to get discouraged... especially after years of the same.

Yes, there is something to be said for what you rehearse vs how long you rehearse. And part of that is show design as well... so a decent responsibility falls on the staff. But I reject the perception that the Bucs are the only corps working hard in the off season and the only corps prepared. I also reject the idea that the staff of the other corps simply are not as good or are not equally as prepared. I've been attending the first large show every year for the better part of two decades and I can tell you, in my mind, those 1st read performances are on a more even keel than we are giving credit for.

Okay. Rant over.

Edited since my rant needed clarification on my part.

I haven't been, I can only go off of what I see in reviews and on videos online. IMO, Bucs easily are the most prepared every year, and moreso, most cleaned at that point

What corps go every weekend from February on? Most I know of don't even start that until just before or after Easter (being that Easter can be late or early ~ why don't we just call it the beginning of April?). Hurcs, Cabs, Fusion, Bush and Windsor most certainly are not. And just who all are the "most" members driving 5+ hours? Yes, each corps has some members who do, but I don't think any of them would say the majority do so....

And I'm not sure what Wildwood show you've been going to for the better part of 2 decades, but if you mean the first show of the DCA season that Cabs host, that only started in 2004....

I know that starting after the new year every year, MBI rehearses every wednesday night through labor day weekend, with at least one weekend camp during the winter months...

Well, they're nothing like "camp weekends" in the sense that other corps do. Particularly the last several years with our winter drumline and colorguard, we don't do any corps "camp weekends" until May.

Last few years the winter "camps" have been simply hornline sectional time once a month on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon for 4 or 5 hours. The spinners and drummers in the corps that are not in the winter programs don't have weekend commitments until May. This year, we did take our Saturday afternoon time in March and learn Intro drill with horns and drums, since it's pretty physical. And freakin' sweet.

Yes, we do weekly rehearsals Wednesday nights from January thru August, which is possibly unique in drum corps?

Edited by John H