Carolina Crown 2012

Wow that photo does not do the uniform justice. The color on the reveal matches the color on the guard reveal -- it's a very rich, shimmery, golden fabric. In that pic it looks like sandpaper :-( Live and in person the color really pops under the lights.

Haha it really does look like sandpaper. Well I guess I'll reserve my judgment for now then.

Uniform looks great close up, I love it! But...... my worry would be how it looks from the GE box i.e. does the gold fabric merge into the cream or does it stand out against the cream?

I take you back to PR 2010, the all white uniforms looked majestic close up but seemed to contribute to a lack of definition from high up. The lack of definition was mainly down to the drill but the all white uniforms played their part.

Hey Eric... like Jeff suggested a couple pages ago, you really should have a you tube channel. Let some info out yourself, then you dont' have to worry about asking to take so many videos down, because less people will feel the need to post something.

I mean, your rehearsals are open to the public... what's really the problem with a standstill music performance being on YouTube? If anything it creates more excitement to actually get out a see the show live. I know it excited me.

I just don't get the whole huge secrecy thing.

It you don't want the full show on there, maybe ask people to edit the videos down, so we still get a sneak peek... or do it all in house, and release you're own edited videos?

I don't know, just throwing it out there.

The only reason I can see for the secrecy is if there are copyright issues involved.... which I could imagine happens when larger chunks are put on youtube. So that's where I see the YouTube channel working, like it has for other corps, like Cadets and Crossmen recently.

Jason,

All great ideas that we have took into consideration and are looking for ways to do with the resources and volunteers that we have.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Uniform looks great close up, I love it! But...... my worry would be how it looks from the GE box i.e. does the gold fabric merge into the cream or does it stand out against the cream?

I take you back to PR 2010, the all white uniforms looked majestic close up but seemed to contribute to a lack of definition from high up. The lack of definition was mainly down to the drill but the all white uniforms played their part.

Just think of the "angels'" uniforms from Cadets last year. I guess it'd be sort of like that.

• Like 1

I just don't get the whole huge secrecy thing.

It's because the brass book is a very sophisticated virus meant to derail Iran's nuclear program. Shhhh.....

• Like 7

BTW, what I heard sounded great!

• Like 2

The show has a lot of "brass effects" which sound pretty awesome! and I do like how the comman man theme returns throughout. There's maybe 1 or 2 short sections that seem a little awkward audibly without the visual but this show is definetly top 3.

I don't know about Top 3. I'm only judging from that fan-uploaded video, but the drumline was really dirty (and only had 6 snares and three tenors), the marching was HORRENDOUS (when they actually did march) and the pit book is very, VERY thin. I do like the "brass effects", but they do them while standing still, or marching very VERY slowly, so I don't really care that it's hard.

Of course, this is me judging them using the highest standards, so I still think Crown will be Top 6, but they have to beat The Cadets (who are looking just as strong as last year), The Cavaliers (who are ALWAYS a force to be reckoned with), BD (who is BD) and Phantom Regiment ("Nessun Dorma". Enough said).

From the marching perspective, Crown is way out of the Top 4. Are they running their butts off while playing complicated music? No? Cadets are. Are they marching really really smoothly while turning backfield and playing perfectly in time? No. BD is. Are they forming incredible drill moves for 11 minutes straight? No. Cavies are.

From the pit writing, Crown is out of the Top 6. Are they playing a wide variety of instruments with thick harmonies and tight interlocking rhythms? No. Cadets are. Are they playing insane, 4-mallet passages that look like they're playing a marimba solo, but then switch to fast runs? No. Cavies are. Are they playing 16th-note runs for minutes at a time and then jam out with their drumline? No. BD is. Are they playing music that blends incredibly well with their brassline? No. Phantom is.

Of course, shows and corps are not judged on these factors alone, but you can't get Top 3 while winning just brass every couple of years.

• Like 8

I don't know about Top 3. I'm only judging from that fan-uploaded video, but the drumline was really dirty (and only had 6 snares and three tenors), the marching was HORRENDOUS (when they actually did march) and the pit book is very, VERY thin. I do like the "brass effects", but they do them while standing still, or marching very VERY slowly, so I don't really care that it's hard.

Of course, this is me judging them using the highest standards, so I still think Crown will be Top 6, but they have to beat The Cadets (who are looking just as strong as last year), The Cavaliers (who are ALWAYS a force to be reckoned with), BD (who is BD) and Phantom Regiment ("Nessun Dorma". Enough said).

From the marching perspective, Crown is way out of the Top 4. Are they running their butts off while playing complicated music? No? Cadets are. Are they marching really really smoothly while turning backfield and playing perfectly in time? No. BD is. Are they forming incredible drill moves for 11 minutes straight? No. Cavies are.

From the pit writing, Crown is out of the Top 6. Are they playing a wide variety of instruments with thick harmonies and tight interlocking rhythms? No. Cadets are. Are they playing insane, 4-mallet passages that look like they're playing a marimba solo, but then switch to fast runs? No. Cavies are. Are they playing 16th-note runs for minutes at a time and then jam out with their drumline? No. BD is. Are they playing music that blends incredibly well with their brassline? No. Phantom is.

Of course, shows and corps are not judged on these factors alone, but you can't get Top 3 while winning just brass every couple of years.

Odd.

From what I saw/heard, this looks to be one of Crown's more challenging shows. Granted, it was poor video uploaded from a phone, but still.

• Like 8