Carolina Crown 2012

The recording/video that I saw, although rather shoddy quality, was reminiscent of Star of Indiana's technically advanced and incredibly powerful brassline. If I could say that any corps or show will be close to Star's level of performance in the early 90's, this Crown production is it. I'm going to go out on a lim and say that they'll probably take 1st or 2nd in brass this year, perhaps earning themselves their 3rd ott within 4 years.

Hopefully their guard and the percussion will pick it up from last year and push them to their much deserved 1st DCI title.

• Like 6

corpsband, I know it's just bait, but I have to respond to two things he said. I could respond to the entire post, but I feel that everything I said would fall on deaf ears, as the cliché goes. I do want to say two things though:

but the drumline was really dirty (and only had 6 snares and three tenors)

The full drumline was at the performances. Nine snares, four tenors, five basses. Just saying.

EDIT: And, they weren't really that dirty. Typical pre-tour dirt, sure. Everyone's this dirty this time of year.

and the pit book is very, VERY thin.

It's unfair to judge this pit from the fan uploaded video. Thanks to the rain, all electronics were cut off a few minutes into the performance, so you can't really hear the pit. Even live I could barely hear them except during a percussion feature or parts where the brass were not playing. The People's Front Ensemble are STRONG this year ... perhaps the strongest they've ever been.

I will be very surprised if your tune doesn't change after the Cinecast on Monday. This is an incredibly strong corps and I really think they are going to shock everyone once they see the full product. The drill especially is completely different than past years. I'm just saying ... don't count them out yet. I think they will surprise you.

Crown 2012 ... :worthy:

EDIT:

The recording/video that I saw, although rather shoddy quality, was reminiscent of Star of Indiana's technically advanced and incredibly powerful brassline. If I could say that any corps or show will be close to Star's level of performance in the early 90's, this Crown production is it.

I agree completely! That part in the closer, especially, reminds me of 1993 Star. I also have a feeling that moment will be extended later on. It's too amazing to not get a little extension somewhere around San Antonio or Atlanta! :worthy:

Edited by KakkoiiOtaku
  • Like 6

I don't know about Top 3. I'm only judging from that fan-uploaded video, but the drumline was really dirty (and only had 6 snares and three tenors), the marching was HORRENDOUS (when they actually did march) and the pit book is very, VERY thin. I do like the "brass effects", but they do them while standing still, or marching very VERY slowly, so I don't really care that it's hard.

Of course, this is me judging them using the highest standards, so I still think Crown will be Top 6, but they have to beat The Cadets (who are looking just as strong as last year), The Cavaliers (who are ALWAYS a force to be reckoned with), BD (who is BD) and Phantom Regiment ("Nessun Dorma". Enough said).

From the marching perspective, Crown is way out of the Top 4. Are they running their butts off while playing complicated music? No? Cadets are. Are they marching really really smoothly while turning backfield and playing perfectly in time? No. BD is. Are they forming incredible drill moves for 11 minutes straight? No. Cavies are.

From the pit writing, Crown is out of the Top 6. Are they playing a wide variety of instruments with thick harmonies and tight interlocking rhythms? No. Cadets are. Are they playing insane, 4-mallet passages that look like they're playing a marimba solo, but then switch to fast runs? No. Cavies are. Are they playing 16th-note runs for minutes at a time and then jam out with their drumline? No. BD is. Are they playing music that blends incredibly well with their brassline? No. Phantom is.

Of course, shows and corps are not judged on these factors alone, but you can't get Top 3 while winning just brass every couple of years.

Man you are brave; the Crown borg are going to pounce all over you. You better run and hide!

• Like 4

It's unfair to judge this pit from the fan uploaded video. Thanks to the rain, all electronics were cut off a few minutes into the performance, so you can't really hear the pit.

Things I noted from the original YouTube post 2 days ago.

- Pit wasn't really heard. I attributed it to a few things.

1. Electronics were not part of the performance to avoid making pit members lite-up due to fatal electric shock.

2. At one point in the middle of their performance, there are pit members covering their instruments with blue plastic tarp. I'm not sure how durable these expensive keyboard instruments are, but I'm sure a downpour isn't good for their durability.

3. The lower brass was so powerful, jets had to avoid flying over head to ensure their instruments would function properly. There wasn't a chance to hear the pit with all that power from behind them.

Finally, in the original recording near the 3/4 mark, after everyone had either left the stands or put up an umbrella, you can hear someone say to someone else - "Are you wet?" Derp.

Edited by LincolnV

corpsband, I know it's just bait, but I have to respond to two things he said. I could respond to the entire post, but I feel that everything I said would fall on deaf ears, as the cliché goes. I do want to say two things though:

are going to shock everyone once they see the full product. The drill especially is completely different than past years. I'm just saying ... don't count them out yet. I think they will surprise you.

Crown 2012 ... :worthy:

Show on Saturday.

Cinecast Monday.

Can.

Not.

Wait !!

• Like 3

I don't know about Top 3. I'm only judging from that fan-uploaded video, but the drumline was really dirty (and only had 6 snares and three tenors), the marching was HORRENDOUS (when they actually did march) and the pit book is very, VERY thin. I do like the "brass effects", but they do them while standing still, or marching very VERY slowly, so I don't really care that it's hard.

Of course, this is me judging them using the highest standards, so I still think Crown will be Top 6, but they have to beat The Cadets (who are looking just as strong as last year), The Cavaliers (who are ALWAYS a force to be reckoned with), BD (who is BD) and Phantom Regiment ("Nessun Dorma". Enough said).

From the marching perspective, Crown is way out of the Top 4. Are they running their butts off while playing complicated music? No? Cadets are. Are they marching really really smoothly while turning backfield and playing perfectly in time? No. BD is. Are they forming incredible drill moves for 11 minutes straight? No. Cavies are.

From the pit writing, Crown is out of the Top 6. Are they playing a wide variety of instruments with thick harmonies and tight interlocking rhythms? No. Cadets are. Are they playing insane, 4-mallet passages that look like they're playing a marimba solo, but then switch to fast runs? No. Cavies are. Are they playing 16th-note runs for minutes at a time and then jam out with their drumline? No. BD is. Are they playing music that blends incredibly well with their brassline? No. Phantom is.

Of course, shows and corps are not judged on these factors alone, but you can't get Top 3 while winning just brass every couple of years.

First, where is this video of them marching and playing? I only saw the rain standstill video. Care to share?

Second. I do think Crown has stepped up their game from last year. The musical show design I think is better tailored for a top 3 position or even championship. I just cannot see this show placing lower than last years, I can't.

But since I haven't seen the video you have I can't comment on the visual or the percussion playing while marching.

I DID notice that the pit book did, on first impression, seem thinner than last years which is strange because as far as I know it's the same arranger. That being said, I think you don't need to be flashy 100% of the time to have a great pit book that compliments the music. And as far as battery writing... we'll see...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Things I noted from the original YouTube post 2 days ago.

- Pit wasn't really heard. I attributed it to a few things.

1. Electronics were not part of the performance to avoid making pit members lite-up due to fatal electric shock.

2. At one point in the middle of their performance, there are pit members covering their instruments with blue plastic tarp. I'm not sure how durable these expensive keyboard instruments are, but I'm sure a downpour isn't good for their durability.

3. The lower brass was so powerful, jets had to avoid flying over head to ensure their instruments would function properly. There wasn't a chance to hear the pit with all that power from behind them.

That may explain A LOT of what was perceived in the video.

The only prediction I can make with any certainty is that this is going to be a great summer of drum corps!

I could not agree more! With Crown's show ... Vanguard's show (that I STILL hope will eventually have an arrangement of the '89 "Music of the Night" at the end ... the show is called "Music of the Starry Night," after all :-P) ... the Cadets "12.25" ... Phantom doing Nessun Dorma again ... Madison's "Reframed" ... Bluecoats performing "Masquerade" ... Boston's "The Titans" ... and Jersey Surf's "Bridgemania?"

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Is it Monday yet? :tongue: