2012 Blue Devils

First thought was...every single prop they have built and used in the last 5 years will be on the field in this show!

My first thought was...The opener from backfield, the ballad on side 1 of the field, the closer on side 2, and the drum solo down front, all at the same time.

With the guard buidling two skyscrapers with a cable between them on which the sop soloist improves Bela over all of them.

Now, that's a juxtaposition.

• Like 2

yeah improve for the soloist could be done easily, but in a judged idiom would they give that much freedom to someone or would it morph into a consistent solo as the season progressed?

I've been in two corps with improved solos. It can be done, and honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen a lot more back in the day when jazz was popular to play.

Good point about current composers. Would like to hear Adès and Pärt. [...] Also Tallis. Adams has been done by Cadets and SCV, but bigger works like Harmoniumlehre should be considererd. I would like to see living composers involved as the Cadets did with Holsinger. Who else has done this?

I only know Arvo Pärt for "Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten", which is a beautiful, powerful piece of music (and next week I get to see the Cleveland Orchestra play it!*) but which seems to me a most unlikely to be adaptable to drum corps, being heavily dependent on strings and deriving a good deal of its power from its six-minute length; I can't imagine a corps playing it entire, nor the piece working if cut in half.

*Paired with the Tom Stoppard-André Previn play-with-music, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, which might adapt rather better, if amplified voice were employed (which I generally dislike in drum corps).

s

I only know Arvo Pärt for "Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten", which is a beautiful, powerful piece of music (and next week I get to see the Cleveland Orchestra play it!*) but which seems to me a most unlikely to be adaptable to drum corps, being heavily dependent on strings and deriving a good deal of its power from its six-minute length; I can't imagine a corps playing it entire, nor the piece working if cut in half.

*Paired with the Tom Stoppard-André Previn play-with-music, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, which might adapt rather better, if amplified voice were employed (which I generally dislike in drum corps).

love the piece by Pärt also, and agree with everything you said.

i'd say the same about Barber's Adagio. Worked out well for SCV, imo under the same circumstances.

For those looking for MorrisonMania, its on a CD from The Pacific Brass Ensemble released 5/2/11 and is on iTunes. Decent Brass Ensemble recording

• Like 1

the funny thing about this to me is that the cavies started this trend toward modern arranging for dci back in 2000.

their show, "niagara falls", had very little of the actual piece by doherty of the same name. over half a dozen pieces were incorporated into that show, whether we're talking themes, motifs, rhytmic/melodic ostinatos, though few of the individual pieces were listed as part of the rep. lots of mctee, in particular.

it was the perfect saucedo arrangement for me because he took a lot of disparate pieces, and made it into something musically quite wonderful.

many more corps now choose to give credit to all of the pieces that serve as inspiration for the arrangement, including bd. so many corps do it now, and since BD is always near the top, haters focus their rage on them. they'll hide it behind smiley faces and crudely constructed backhanded compliments, but it's hate just the same. sadly, it's all over the board for just about every corps. why?

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

OHHH MAN!

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Thank you wayne thank you thank you thank you!

Two of my favorite BD shows combined!!!![

size=7]YESSSSSSSS!!!!![/size]

• Like 1

the funny thing about this to me is that the cavies started this trend toward modern arranging for dci back in 2000.

their show, "niagara falls", had very little of the actual piece by doherty of the same name. over half a dozen pieces were incorporated into that show, whether we're talking themes, motifs, rhytmic/melodic ostinatos, though few of the individual pieces were listed as part of the rep. lots of mctee, in particular.

it was the perfect saucedo arrangement for me because he took a lot of disparate pieces, and made it into something musically quite wonderful.

many more corps now choose to give credit to all of the pieces that serve as inspiration for the arrangement, including bd. so many corps do it now, and since BD is always near the top, haters focus their rage on them. they'll hide it behind smiley faces and crudely constructed backhanded compliments, but it's hate just the same. sadly, it's all over the board for just about every corps. why?

Honestly, Lance. The H-word is tired.

People are allowed to not like a particular corps for whatever reason. They're also allowed to express their dislike on an internet forum. You can disagree with them, debate them, whatever.

But resorting right to "hate" when there's nothing even close to that in this thread only continues to devalue the word.

• Like 6