Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

I would place the financial as the number two obstacle; the number one obstacle, imo, is lack of true head to head to head "objective" competition outcomes which really makes all other pro sports exciting to a fan base. Again I reference there is no professional Figure Skating competition for the same reason.

exceptr figure skating draws. ratings, advertisers and fans.

If memory serves, that play-by-play announcing style did sort of occur back in the early eighties for a Finals broadcast and it was a complete disaster.

If it's the one I'm thinking about you wondered if they were trying play by play or left the mics open.

"Here's the part I was telling you about"

"OK"

Second thought - PDQ Bachs play by play of an orchestra.... "Oh he muffed that note, back to the minors for him".

except figure skating draws. ratings, advertisers and fans.

The point here is that Professional Figure Skating is "not" a competitive sport; no major league competition exists; there is no competition for figure skaters beyond the Olympic type events; and there is no fan base for a professional "subjective outcome" major league figure skating competition. In fact, the pro figure skaters mainly have to dress up in Barny or Big Bird costumes to even garner a paycheck. Therefore, Pro Figure Skating is a series of touring "non-competitive" shows. And even at that, those shows do not draw the crowds anywhere near the NHL.

Edited by Stu

Oh but there is!

The point here is that Professional Figure Skating is "not" a competitive sport; no major league competition exists; there is no competition for figure skaters beyond the Olympic type events; and there is no fan base for a professional "subjective outcome" major league figure skating competition. In fact, the pro figure skaters mainly have to dress up in Barny or Big Bird costumes to even garner a paycheck. Therefore, Pro Figure Skating is a series of touring "non-competitive" shows. And even at that, those shows do not draw the crowds anywhere near the NHL.

If memory serves, that play-by-play announcing style did sort of occur back in the early eighties for a Finals broadcast and it was a complete disaster.

Actually you are wrong about the play by play announcers. It was a failure because the wrong people were the announcers.

When Rita Moreno was one of the play by play announcers for DCI world championships in 1979-1980(along with Steve Rondinaro), the broadcast was very well received, and brought in many viewers for the next year. (She brought excitement, and compared the corps performances to some of her experiences on Broadway.) 40,000+/- were in attendance for finals!!!

However, I believe the next year, Chuck Mangione was one of the play by play announcers, and he sat on screen like a lump on a log. Maynard Ferguson was a pretty good announcer, I believe.

It would depend on the personality of the announcer, as to whether play by play commentary would work.

Edited by cdm

Actually you are wrong about the play by play announcers. It was a failure because the wrong people were the announcers.

When Rita Moreno was one of the play by play announcers for DCI world championships in 1979-1980(along with Steve Rondinaro), the broadcast was very well received, and brought in many viewers for the next year. (She brought excitement, and compared the corps performances to some of her experiences on Broadway.) 40,000+/- were in attendance for finals!!!

However, I believe the next year, Chuck Mangione was one of the play by play announcers, and he sat on screen like a lump on a log. Maynard Ferguson was a pretty good announcer, I believe.

It would depend on the personality of the announcer, as to whether play by play commentary would work.

RM, CM and MF never did play by play like Stu and I are talking about. The two I'm talking about talked over top of the the corps while they were playing.... Totally different from the people you mentioned.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

RM, CM and MF never did play by play like Stu and I are talking about. The two I'm talking about talked over top of the the corps while they were playing.... Totally different from the people you mentioned.

You're thinking of Rondo and Rob McConnell from 1982 (thankfully edited out of the DVD remix years ago). Rondo knew better, but was still responding to McConnell, who just would....not.....shut....up.

You're thinking of Rondo and Rob McConnell from 1982 (thankfully edited out of the DVD remix years ago). Rondo knew better, but was still responding to McConnell, who just would....not.....shut....up.

LOL, 1982 sounds right as I remember watching it in my apartment on my crap ###ed portable TV. So was sometime 81-85......

Your blanket statement said that play by play didn't work in drum and Bugle corps, when actually it did. You did not qualify your statement by saying " like Stu and I are talking about".

I remember that year, and felt the same way.I wished he would shut up so I could hear the corps.

Edited by cdm