Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

Not a "professional major league" competitive sport like NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA, NASCAR, Formula One, ect... not even close. The Olympics, and subsequent few competitions for Olympic performers in between the Olympics, are not professional "career" oriented in nature; and never will be. While it is true that major sponsors endorse some skaters, and those performers are financially comfortable with those endorsements, that system does not provide for a long-term "career" position within a professional league like the other aforementioned leagues. I am all for DCI adopting an Olympic type system like that of Figure Skating if the sponsorship dollars and fan base can be attained; but in my opinion drum corps can never move into the realm of career league driven professional competition where professional performers can make it a career choice.

sounds like a familiar proposal and thinking of some very successful directors not to long ago :blink:

To me, the best you could hope for is a single pro corps/band, that tours during the summer and fall, exhibiting at DCI contests, state and regional band competitions and professional parades such as Macy's Thanksgiving Day. It would almost by definition have to skew younger in membership in order to pull off "pro-style" drill - enough to get marching band kids excited - but even then, you'd have to have post-college musicians so you don't have to worry about scholastic schedules. Teachers and directors wouldn't have the time available to spend away doing such a gig.

Then, of course, there are the costs, which in travel alone might stop anything before it starts. Hotel costs and occasional airfare will add up quickly. You're not going to be transporting paid performers the same cattle-car way DCI corps currently convey their paying teenagers.

I get the idea for a league, but there is nowhere near the demand for it (the ones we have already in existence are massively hurting for viewers as is), there's no money for it, and the people you would need to make such a venture work are already doing it somewhere else.

Mike

Not a "professional major league" competitive sport like NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA, NASCAR, Formula One, ect... not even close. The Olympics, and subsequent few competitions for Olympic performers in between the Olympics, are not professional "career" oriented in nature; and never will be. While it is true that major sponsors endorse some skaters, and those performers are financially comfortable with those endorsements, that system does not provide for a long-term "career" position within a professional league like the other aforementioned leagues. I am all for DCI adopting an Olympic type system like that of Figure Skating if the sponsorship dollars and fan base can be attained; but in my opinion drum corps can never move into the realm of career league driven professional competition where professional performers can make it a career choice.

you're right...it's not a career. I mean how many Olympics did Michelle Kwan compete in?

:rolleyes:

sounds like a familiar proposal and thinking of some very successful directors not to long ago :blink:

Not really; that particular proposal was completely self-serving and not looking at the Olympic competitive interest of the entire organization whatsoever.

you're right...it's not a career. I mean how many Olympics did Michelle Kwan compete in?

:rolleyes:

A few, a select few, can do what she did (Apollo Ono also comes to mind). But let's take the NFL with 50 "career" players per team who make a "career" type salary each year; or any other "career" major league sport where players are getting "career" salaries each year and compare that to just the one Michelle Kwan. Not even close!!! A vast majority of Olympic performers have other day jobs; what about the NFL players?

Edited by Stu

and you dont think a pro drum corps circuit wouldnt just be thinking of themselves also?

An Olympic style drum corps circuit would be concerned with the "inclusion of as many units as possible" based on competitive trials so as to push the quality level even higher much like the current Olympics, not the exclusion of units based on just seven corps.

In a way, the current DCI system does resemble the Olympics but the the performers do not receive sponsorship endorsements like some of the Olympic performers and DCI is not designed for professional adults to participate. DCI is still a youth oriented activity. And if it were financially sustainable, I would not mind an expansion of DCI World Class becoming a part of the Summer Olympics system where professional adults could, if they so chose, participate as performers with major personal endorsement sponsorships. Today's Open Class would thus stay youth and resemble today's WC, but the new WC would be just like the Olympic model. I can possibly see that as a potential reality, but not DCI as a professional career major sport.

Edited by Stu

Thank you, Jeff. The truth escapes this person. Reality hasn't set in for this cat. And it would take major corporate funding and sponsorship to make this happen. To the point where the ckorprations would make their mark. It's not that much of a stretch to see the Coca-Cola Cadets, the Red Bull D and B Corps, or the Monster Energy Drink Green Machine.

It would not be a further stretch for those sponsors to push to make shows more "acceptable", likely along the lines of a Super Bowl Halftime Show. Perhaps bringing in a real celebrity for the corps to back up for the program or just for the championships. The corps would likely be forced to evolve to be more like College Bands by the sponsor/owners. Also Judging would likely fall by the wayside or be done by phone, an applause meter, make it more like TV. Or, bring in celebrity Judges for the contests! I'm sure Howard Stern would do just fine in the new environ. :devil::tongue:

And yes, the normals think it's just band. I guess this individual hasn't gotten the "one time at band camp" jokes from everyone he works with.

The comments about someone drafting a baritone sound like a great fantasy/pipe dream, and I want to know what's in that pipe. Look. Yeah, If I was a Football Player or Wrestler in HS and was a 2 time All State Champ and never defeated for 3 years in District or Regional tournaments, I'd have gotten a teaching job in something at my old HS and wuold be a local legend. Doing the same thing in Band, and yeah I did just that, gets you bupkiss. It's a fact. It needs to be shrugged off anf acceopted by some people, but they crave acceptance by the rest of thw world.

No one would be drafted in a pro Drum Corps, either. There's SCADS of talent out there already PAYING a lot of money for the priviledge to march DCI World Class. 300 kids trying out for 30 spots for the Cavies' percussion battery for starters. We can go on. They can find talented kids left and right out there who would be willing to work for minimum wage or less to do this. It's not anything like Pro Basketball or Football. To put it mildly, it's some kind of sad delusional juvenile pipe dream from someone who wishes the world was different from the grim and stark reality of the facts, along the lines of the crazy ladies who have the bumper stickers on their SUVs that schools should get all the tax money and the USAF should have a bake sale to fund their bombers.

Yah know- it's not a bad thing to be different and off the beaten path unless you decide that conformity and acceptance by the mainstream is essential in your life. Dare to like what you like regardless of whether it's the mainstream thing. Dare to choose for yourself and not worry about this silliness....

An Olympic style drum corps circuit would be concerned with the inclusion of as many units based on competitive trials so as to push the quality level even higher much like the current Olympics, not the exclusion of units based on just seven corps. In a way, the current DCI system does resemble the Olympics but the the performers do not receive sponsorship endorsements like some of the Olympic performers and DCI is not designed for professional adults to participate.

and if this ever were to come to be ( which im sure it wont ) who do you think would be the driving force...think about it...its not going to be the small guys. for those who fight for drum corps to be more main stream ( and it isnt ) should be very cautious what they ask for. IF...that ever came to be it would change the face of drum corps totally for good. Those who fight for tradition, entertainment ( subjective ) inclusiveness..forget it. You change all that and DONT expect to see drum corps as we know it.....If one thinks it AINT DRUM CORPS compared to BITD hold onto your seats if pro drum corps started...JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

A few, a select few, can do what she did (Apollo Ono also comes to mind). But let's take the NFL with 50 "career" players per team who make a "career" type salary each year; or any other "career" major league sport where players are getting "career" salaries each year and compare that to just the one Michelle Kwan. Not even close!!! A vast majority of Olympic performers have other day jobs; what about the NFL players?

either way Stu....figure skating outdraws drum corps. it gets good enough ratings that they give it good times on tv, and it gets advertisers.

drum corps had none of the above even on ESPN.