Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

No, that is not what I am admitting. What I am admitting is that I needed to see what the tone of the resistance to my ideas might be, and maybe pick up some ideas, tips, and get some things formulated.

If you feel that what I posted was "trolling to seek a war.", Then that is your own misguided opinion,(just like everyone has the right to one), and you felt you needed to label it as "trolling to seek a war".

So be it.

I am going to flat out ask you a simple question CDM: Were you associated with Eclipse/Accent?

• Like 3

I am going to flat out ask you a simple question CDM: Were you associated with Eclipse/Accent?

No, I was never associated with either organization.

No, I was never associated with either organization.

Thank you for answering that direct question. The reason I asked is because that while I believe your Foundation to help small corps is very noble, I also agree with Kamarag in that if you do not already have your form 1023 filed and received your 501c3 determination letter, if you do not have your bylaws, a board, legal and financial council, a fundraising development officer, along with a short term plan and long term goals in writing then you really have no business collecting donations of any type of capital. And the lack of taking care of those issues *first* eerily reminded me of what happened to Eclipse/Accent.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 4

on top of this , I asked earlier but never got an answer, other than the 3 years marching in 3 different corps sometime around 78/79 what else have you done? teach, judge, direct, volunteer, just a fan? now we can add on fundraise, business development, work for non profit?..Not trying to bust your ##### just trying to see where you are coming from other than maybe a love for the activity. Normally I wouldnt question a persons experience because I have met those in the activity for dozens of years with little experience other than time and totally clueless and also those who have been in a few years and really GET IT!. You put yourself out there with what youre trying which is fine BUT then you also open yourself to the questions of integrity as well as experience and accolades.

Edited by GUARDLING

Professional Drum Corps ??????

ABC Sports presents.......... "The Thrill of Trill and the agony of da' feet"

DCI is full time (limited season)

DCA is weekend mostly

what started drum corps was local circuits keeping kids off the streets by giving them and opportunity to become members of units with limited (note-on-line-valve-in.....note-not-on-line-valve-out) playing mostly 4/4 and marching drills in squads, while playing show tunes and patriotic marches.

the "support" for these corps started with friends, family, and alumni staying interested (loved that sound)

Drum corps can exist at any level, but interest in a true major league with home cities would be about the same as for chess ("The Porunck Endgames arrived last night for an all-important three day series with our home Dark-Square Bishops")

Joe Dz in NJ

When is this thread going to die? SOON I hope.

For a long time, (since I aged out in the 1980's) I have felt that a professional drum and bugle corps league, with paid members in corps, would be a natural next step for drum corps members. I envisioned a 25-30 corps league based on professional sports league models(NFL, NBA, Major League Baseball, MLS, etc.) The corps in the league could use that model as the way to run each corps, with the best players/performers being drafted into the league, via auditions. The members of each corps would be paid to perform, with DCI being the "Collegiate" level for drum corps . Such a league could follow the exist pattern set up for Pro sports. (I.E. middle school band, high school band, College Band and/or DCI corps membership, Professional Drum and Bugle corps.)

I even thought DCA could be transformed into the "major leagues" of Drum and Bugle corps, with each DCA corps paying their members.

If this model was set up, I think it would be supported in the same way major league sports are supported. I think that if such league existed, it could be as big as the professional major league sports leagues, because of the fact that, at the middle, and high school level, there is the potential to be just as many/maybe more people who in music/performance, as there are in sports, at that level. Couple the idea that a Drum and Bugle corps professional league would also include women, who for the most part are left out of a professional league that would pay them for performing. (WNBA is one exception, maybe the only one)

I believe that since this league would pay it's members, it would get the very best players/performers, and the level of quality would go up. This would in turn draw more fans, and inspire younger musicians to want to be a professional Drum and Bugle corp member. (giving musician another way to become a professional musician.)

This could begin to create a cycle of improvement in the overall activity:

For instance:

1.More young students may get into music, because they saw a exciting performance by a pro Drum and Bugle corps,

2. The new student goes out to buy instruments/equipment to practice with.

3. The instrument makers may see a increase in sales, and start putting MORE money in endorsements in popular pro corps.

4. leading to higher salaries for pro corps members

5. which would lead to more competition for spots in the pro league

6. which would lead to better,higher quality in the corps and shows,

7.which could lead to more people finding out about the activity, and wanting to become professional drum and bugle corps members.

8. which could lead to non-music related endorsements. (Nationally televised regular season competitions, with Budweiser as a official sponsor, LOL)

9. which may lead to a wider awareness, and more interest in the activity.

There have been other "professional" Drum and Bugle corps, (Future Corps, BLAST!, etc.) where the members were paid, and in each instance, the corps produced amazing performances (mostly with much smaller ensembles than DCI, or DCA corps.)

Theoretically, it may be possible to make professional Drum and Bugle corps big enough to draw in non-music related sponsers/endorsments, such as food, and drink vendors, and TV rights. (if enough eyes are drawn to the activity, it is possible for sponsor/endorsers to see a solid business sense for paying for rights to the activity. Just look at the National Spelling Bee, and cheerleading.)

I would love to see comments on this, and what others think.

BTW...I believe that it actually happened...in 1963....Anyone ever hear of the Balantine Brewers?

BTW...I believe that it actually happened...in 1963....Anyone ever hear of the Balantine Brewers?