2012 Rankings

To me, the wild cards here are going to be Kidsgrove Scouts and Renegades. It will be interesting to see where they place.

Actually, just going from last year, I really did not see any kind of drastic changes for ANY corps from say late July to finals. Perhaps some body movement and/or props but thats about it. And most, if not all of MBI's "smart,big step drill" is being executed with the horns at their side. But hey, all are entitled to their opinions. My opinon...If anyone beats the Bucs this year, there is something wrong in Muddville.

Made my point for me, smart - big step drill. Blue Devils do the same thing at times (seems to work for them), good design and big picture drill effect overrides horn placement, unless the placement is an effect. I mentioned it's not clean from what I have seen, and Bucs are talented and have set the bar for years, they run too. MBI has an outside chance at this point, but I like how they development moments.

Made my point for me, smart - big step drill. Blue Devils do the same thing at times (seems to work for them), good design and big picture drill effect overrides horn placement, unless the placement is an effect. I mentioned it's not clean from what I have seen, and Bucs are talented and have set the bar for years, they run too. MBI has an outside chance at this point, but I like how they development moments.

And at the risk of starting a pissing match...whenever anyone talks about lack of movement in drill design, someone always brings up Blue Devils. Look at the Blue Devils programs over the past five years and tell me if ANY DCA program (including Bucs) has anywhere near the same level of complexity or sophistication. All stop sets are definitely NOT created equal.

Edited by VOReason

To me, the wild cards here are going to be Kidsgrove Scouts and Renegades. It will be interesting to see where they place.

Fran as much as everybody likes the underdog story, (wildcard) believe me everyone at Kidsgrove is just glad that we are able to make the trip and can perform for everyone! This year's tour has definitely been A LOT more challenging for the corps management to pull off ! However whilst i dont speak on behalf of the Corps officially we do hope that you enjoy the the show (I'm sure you will ) ! This time next week, we will have one more days rehearsal before we fly :-)

And at the risk of starting a pissing match...whenever anyone talks about lack of movement in drill design, someone always brings up Blue Devils. Look at the Blue Devils programs over the past five years and tell me if ANY DCA program (including Bucs) has anywhere near the same level of complexity or sophistication. All stop sets are definitely NOT created equal.

Exactly right. But if you compare BD to other DCI corps the point is valid. So, now jump to DCA. The point is still valid even though the level of complexity and execution is below that of DCI. Again, it's all in the strategy.

Whether a corps competes in DCI or DCA there are arguments that favor both "move around as often as you can" vs. "more stop sets but make it work musically." Two differing styles of presentation. Corps A gets credit for perfect execution/communication of the musical book but not visual during a park and blow segment. Corps B gets credit for perfect execution of visual but not music during a difficult drill move.

Of course the goal is to perfect both movement and book, but it's more difficult to do that in DCA. I was with MBI for most of my life but frankly, I agree with you and a lot of people that the Bucs will end up on top this year. And more power to 'em!

Edited by Ron H

Essentially quite correct. :satisfied:

I think people forget that these sets are deliberately designed into shows for several good reasons.

- to give the performer a break. Especially in DCA. Even the young 'in's need to get the heart rate to come down from 200 bpm before it explodes.

- to also give the audience a break! If someone comes at you hot, loud and fast the whole daggone time, you ***will*** tune it out mentally. It's mental overload. Variety is important. Otherwise things like that wouldn't be listed on Judging sheets.

Fran as much as everybody likes the underdog story, (wildcard) believe me everyone at Kidsgrove is just glad that we are able to make the trip and can perform for everyone! This year's tour has definitely been A LOT more challenging for the corps management to pull off ! However whilst i dont speak on behalf of the Corps officially we do hope that you enjoy the the show (I'm sure you will ) ! This time next week, we will have one more days rehearsal before we fly :-)

Looking forward to seeing your corps as well. You'll be less of an 'unknown factor' in the soup after that first DCA contest the week before championships. :satisfied:

Matt, from what I've seen of you guys on YouTube, I can pretty much guarantee you that we are going to enjoy your show!!!

Safe travels across the Pond... we'll see you in Annapolis!