Cavaliers in Trouble?

Sad to say, I'm in agreement. Sure, everyone has so many days to clean and fix things, but the hornline is pretty darn messy for this time of year. I do hope they can clean it up quickly!

• Like 1

I would say 2004 Cavaliers beat out Blue Devils for the first time after they inputted their new ending, we weren't doing anything against BD until that craziness got added.

Hard to say that ending pushed you ahead when you guys only lost 3 times that season and the losses to the blue devils were by half a point or less. Think you guys won the last 8 or so shows you competed in.

Phantom wasn't really in the discussion for the title until the last week or so of the tour after the new ending went in. That was when people really started believing it really could upset the devils. I've been trying to find another show in the past 12 years but phantom is the only one I can think of where a new ending made a big impact on the judges as well as the fans.

• Like 1

After watching the competition in the movies this evening, here are my thoughts on the Cavaliers.

1) Their show isn't done yet, obviously, so there is still more GE to work into the show.

2) They have new staff. The new staff seems to be trying to do things the "old" way, of which they mostly have no experience doing things the way Cavs have done the past 12 years, and have been successful at it.

And yes, I think this show theme is similar in style to the past 12 years, to a large extent.

3) Their membership seems just a tad bit younger and less experienced.

4)I've been saying this for 4 years now - Cavaliers' show themes have started to get old and dry. Their geometric drill and "cool" stuff has been wearing thin. With a lot of new staff, it seems like they would have brought some fresh ideas, but it doesn't seem to be working out. I've been hoping they'd change directions but they haven't, and maybe after this year they will get it into their heads that they've milked this cow dry and need to go to the next one. My favorite Cavs show is still 1992, and although 2000, 2001 and 2006 are incredible shows, I have no longer been incredibly impressed by anything they have done since 2006.

I had a glimmer of hope when I saw/heard them start off with Don Juan, but that hope quickly faded when I realized it was all the same stuff they've been doing for a few years.

I'd really, really like the Cavaliers to do something more lyrical. In fact, Don Juan would have been an incredible show had they stuck to the music of Richard Strauss, doing music from Don Juan, Ein Heldenleben, etc. Strauss was an incredible composer, and I think they would have done very well if they had stuck with a more simple theme.

And all in all, I really am getting tired of corps doing shows with very vague themes, Cavaliers and Blue Devils included, along with others. I guess I like programmatic stuff.

Having said that, with a vague theme comes more opportunities to build upon the show and grow it, making it better.

I am sure the Cavs staff will do this, and along with the new ending coming after a while, I think they will still end up 4th or 5th, but don't see them medalling this year, especially with what Crown, Cadets and Bloo has brought to the table, not to mention how clean PR was, and then of course Blue Devils will probably take the gold this year.

Anyways, that's my take on this year's Cavs.

• Like 1

I am also not getting a theme of 15 minutes of Fame.

They're not getting 15 minutes of patience either it appears.

The fans attitude seems to be.... fix it... or the show might be referred to as " The 15 Minutes of Shame ". Com'on, give them a break. Its the first show, you know ?

• Like 3

It's June.

exactly.

Hard to say that ending pushed you ahead when you guys only lost 3 times that season and the losses to the blue devils were by half a point or less. Think you guys won the last 8 or so shows you competed in.

Nah, not 8.

I think we lost to them in Murf and Indy (though we were quite close in Indy), and didn't end up beating BD until Quarters. I remember thinking we had a shot after Indy because we had an awkward visual show that night and still managed to score quite close to them.

They're not getting 15 minutes of patience either it appears.

The fans attitude seems to be.... fix it... or the show might be referred to as " The 15 Minutes of Shame ". Com'on, give them a break. Its the first show, you know ?

true and what they will have in their favor is that as a corps they know how to be a champion, what it takes, what needs to be done , what to do at the end, etc etc...sometimes some never get that and its something acquired over years and years. JMO

It seems that everyone is "not overly impressed" with their initial show but honestly, no one's show was dynamite in the theaters tonight. I for one am not used to seeing a theater show that isnt finals so it was a little weird to see much dirt from everyone. Once the Cavies finish their show and get a few more performans in, I'm thinking that most people will have a change of heart. IMO

Edited by pete

After watching the competition in the movies this evening, here are my thoughts on the Cavaliers.

1) Their show isn't done yet, obviously, so there is still more GE to work into the show.

2) They have new staff. The new staff seems to be trying to do things the "old" way, of which they mostly have no experience doing things the way Cavs have done the past 12 years, and have been successful at it.

And yes, I think this show theme is similar in style to the past 12 years, to a large extent.

3) Their membership seems just a tad bit younger and less experienced.

4)I've been saying this for 4 years now - Cavaliers' show themes have started to get old and dry. Their geometric drill and "cool" stuff has been wearing thin. With a lot of new staff, it seems like they would have brought some fresh ideas, but it doesn't seem to be working out. I've been hoping they'd change directions but they haven't, and maybe after this year they will get it into their heads that they've milked this cow dry and need to go to the next one. My favorite Cavs show is still 1992, and although 2000, 2001 and 2006 are incredible shows, I have no longer been incredibly impressed by anything they have done since 2006.

I had a glimmer of hope when I saw/heard them start off with Don Juan, but that hope quickly faded when I realized it was all the same stuff they've been doing for a few years.

I'd really, really like the Cavaliers to do something more lyrical. In fact, Don Juan would have been an incredible show had they stuck to the music of Richard Strauss, doing music from Don Juan, Ein Heldenleben, etc. Strauss was an incredible composer, and I think they would have done very well if they had stuck with a more simple theme.

And all in all, I really am getting tired of corps doing shows with very vague themes, Cavaliers and Blue Devils included, along with others. I guess I like programmatic stuff.

Having said that, with a vague theme comes more opportunities to build upon the show and grow it, making it better.

I am sure the Cavs staff will do this, and along with the new ending coming after a while, I think they will still end up 4th or 5th, but don't see them medalling this year, especially with what Crown, Cadets and Bloo has brought to the table, not to mention how clean PR was, and then of course Blue Devils will probably take the gold this year.

Anyways, that's my take on this year's Cavs.

couldn't agree more with the bolded. I noticed that hinshaw? wrote a lot of michael gaines-esque moves... but that is not him. It's like he was trying to write like gaines. Once in a while you can be successful trying to emulate someone elses style, but not often. I wish hinshaw wrote more hinshaw like, instead of trying to give the cavaliers what they expected in the past.

• Like 1

Nah, not 8.

I think we lost to them in Murf and Indy (though we were quite close in Indy), and didn't end up beating BD until Quarters. I remember thinking we had a shot after Indy because we had an awkward visual show that night and still managed to score quite close to them.

Q07 for the win.

• Like 1