Cavaliers in Trouble?

I just watch the show on FN a little bit ago.

I have to say... that horn line sounds REALLY BAD for the Cavaliers. Even early season. I was not impressed. They got their work cut out for them... I wasn't really a fan of the music though. Drill design was fine... but they can't march it.

I think they'll clean house... but I'm not sure they will get the help from judges that they have in past years. The show was not good. Not cavalier like at all. I think the design was fine??? But I really didn't like the music... but I might have been so turned off my the really poor performance?

I was surprised. I'm never really a Cavies fan, but I always enjoy their shows... and usually only rip their technique... because that's just what I do. Lol.

I hope they do some hard work though...

In honor of their season, the Cavaliers kindly request that chill pills be donated in lieu of flowers.

And yes, Haterade will be served at the wake, along with an all-you-can-eat buffet of overreaction and speculation.

• Like 4

I agree that this post needs another name and the conclusions of many are premature at best.

Drum corps has all kinds of stories from the past up to the present of early season disasters and late season victories. The corps that tend to rebound are corps with strong organizations and talented members which historically has been the case with the Cavaliers. Cavies rebounded after a disappointing 1978 season in 1979 and haven't looked back since. Yes Cavies usually have the basic outline of their show prepared as the season begins and yes, it has been about fifteen years since Cavies placed so low, but it happens. Great improvements also happen. This may not be the Cavies' year, but I'm willing to bet they'll still have a respectable finish.

So, before the medical examiner and undertaker are called, the casket is selected, and the funeral and collation afterwards are planned, it may be best to wait till the season concludes.

Cavies have been dead for awhile now, ever since Jeff left. If you think the Cavie shows of the last few years have been even a fraction as innovative as the 2000-2006 shows, well, you're confused.

I must be, for I'm sure that "Samurai" in 2008 was first-rate (and it finished less than a point out of first place). Only the music was a bit dull (but so, to my taste, was the music of "Four Corners" and "Frameworks"). I think "And So It Goes" is generally more enjoyable than "My Kind of Town". And despite an overreliance on electronics (but you like those), I find a lot to enjoy in "Mad World" and "XtraordinarY".

• Like 1

I must be, for I'm sure that "Samurai" in 2008 was first-rate (and it finished less than a point out of first place). Only the music was a bit dull (but so, to my taste, was the music of "Four Corners" and "Frameworks"). I think "And So It Goes" is generally more enjoyable than "My Kind of Town". And despite an overreliance on electronics (but you like those), I find a lot to enjoy in "Mad World" and "XtraordinarY".

I was talking about innovation, which has gone nowhere for the Cavies in the last few years.

Also, I like electronic music (along with many other genres), but the use of electronics in drum corps is pretty gimmicky and doesn't add much to the show. Corps use electronics just because they can, not because they want to use them to create something that has never been done before.

I was talking about innovation, which has gone nowhere for the Cavies in the last few years.

Also, I like electronic music (along with many other genres), but the use of electronics in drum corps is pretty gimmicky and doesn't add much to the show. Corps use electronics just because they can, not because they want to use them to create something that has never been done before.

That's a pretty drastic generalization that I find to be completely untrue of Cavaliers and Bluecoats in particular. Mac and Shah both have a real talent for adding a lot of nuance to a show without getting in the way. They are pioneering a whole new dimension to show design. Some people don't like it, but to say that they are doing it just to do it is simply not correct. Perhaps you don't see what it adds, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't add something.

Oh, wait. I forgot. Sound design is a dirty word on this board.

• Like 1

Idk... I'm sorry... I don't really buy your theory... I mean everyone is going to add things later. Nobody has everything out there just yet. Cavies are either getting a slow start this season or the designers "may" have dropped the ball. Winning a championship isn't about the changes you make later it's about the shell and foundation you set up BEFORE DCP and judges get to pick at it.

But I do agree that we'll just wait and see. But this thread titled "RIP Cavies" does #### me off a bit... >:/

I agree with what you are saying, I still have hope for the show. Still, I think GE wise last year Cavies already put everything (upside down everything) at the start of the season. Awesome concept though...

yeah this title thread is pretty... wow... personally I would have gone with... "whats up with The Cavaliers?"

Still... a season is a season and I will cheer on every corps even if its not too cared for by many. (haha, all I can think about is SCV's show... Can't wait until I see it live! :thumbup: )

As long as the design is acoustic, I'm all for it!

Lets be honest. There's a limit to how "innovative" you can be in an activity like this. So you harping on the Cavaliers on not being "innovative" anymore is ridiculous. They've literally pushed the limits of the activity. Other than doing hand stands while playing, there's physically not much else you can really do with this activity anymore that hasn't already been done.

That's a pretty drastic generalization that I find to be completely untrue of Cavaliers and Bluecoats in particular. Mac and Shah both have a real talent for adding a lot of nuance to a show without getting in the way. They are pioneering a whole new dimension to show design. Some people don't like it, but to say that they are doing it just to do it is simply not correct. Perhaps you don't see what it adds, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't add something.

You're right, it was a generalization. I simply don't like how they use electronics, but I think the rules regarding electronics should be relaxed drastically and THEN we'll see some wild and entertaining show designs.