Did DCI Get it Right?

Entertainment or Artsy  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Will a fan favorite show that invokes lots of applause win DCI this year? Or will it be another abstract artsy show like we have seen in years past?

• Fan Favoriate = entertaining will win this year.
    • Artsy and gets mild applause will win again, business as usual in DCI.

I believe we need to see way more than two show results before we can judge the new judging.

amen. In fact I would dare say we really won't have a good idea until finals

• Like 1

The new judging system developed by Michael Cesario was unveiled this past weekend. Now that scores are up, did DCI get it right? Those of you that watched the Akron and Louisville show live, as well as all those that saw the theater broadcast what are your thoughts? Has DCI taken a step in the right direction on judging, or is it the same old thing with a new name?

Will a fan favorate show that fans go wild over win finals this year? Or some abstract artsy thing that barely gets applause from the audience win again?

So then you are saying that last years winner as well as the winner in 2008 were artsy shows with tepid crowd response? Troll much? :devil:

• Like 3

favorite*

Thank you.

Shouldn't the cleanest and best corps win? Even if it's boring?

It's like saying a football team should win because they look cool or are flashy, if you don't score you don't win.

• Like 1

It's like saying a football team should win because they look cool or are flashy, if you don't score you don't win.

I would say to some degree, no. I like what they are doing with the new system primarily because they are saying to the corps that they must at least try to make a connection with the crowd. The better connection and response, the higher they will be scored against an equally performing corps that lacks that connection. If a corps is boring but is clearly performing at a higher level than the rest, yes they should win. But if corps are at an equal level, giving them a bump for making that connection I think is a good idea. It incentivizes all of the corps to consider the fans when designing their shows. This in turn provides us with a better overall experience when we attend. I remember a number of years when anywhere between two to five corps for one reason or another stunk up the joint with utter boredom, overuse of props, distracting voiceover... Take your pick. All of the issues I just listed are considered under the new system. Given time, we may not see corps stinking up the joint quite so much. Kudos to those corps who have spent their careers remembering the fans. A few long standing corps quickly come to mind: Phantom, Scouts, Cavaliers, Troopers. And Kudos to the class and traditionalism of Santa Clara. Blue Devils, you'd been my favorite since I first saw you in 1976, but I hardly know you anymore.

• Like 1

I believe we need to see way more than two show results before we can judge the new judging.

Best post on this thread.

We've only seen six corps do their opening weekend run-throughs. It's a little early to say. I will point out, though, that it is interesting how much more variation there is in contest results when the judges don't have access to last night's numbers.

The new judging system developed by Michael Cesario was unveiled this past weekend. Now that scores are up, did DCI get it right? Those of you that watched the Akron and Louisville show live, as well as all those that saw the theater broadcast what are your thoughts? Has DCI taken a step in the right direction on judging, or is it the same old thing with a new name?

Will a fan favorate show that fans go wild over win finals this year? Or some abstract artsy thing that barely gets applause from the audience win again?

Who knows, the season is just underway...

amen. In fact I would dare say we really won't have a good idea until finals

Or even until we've had the system for a few years and can trace broad trends. Personally, I'd be most content with a scoring system in which 99s and perfect scores are an impossibility. I say this as a fan whose team has benefited from both -- repeatedly.

I agree with the folks saying that placements aren't really what's going to get shaken up, here. The numbers, and the reasons behind the numbers, are undoubtedly going to be made more interesting. But isn't it always going to be sort of intangible, no matter how you slice it?

There's no reason for "fan favorite" shows to be winning DCI Finals. They're simply not the best. Think about it, how often does the top-grossing box office film win the Oscar for Best Picture? Almost never. Why? Because adults don't like that stuff. They like serious films that make them think or feel more sophisticated. Art wins out over fan favorite every year.

• Like 4

I agree.

Just because a corps has the ability to connect with the crowd and make them rise to their feet doesn't mean that should be the primary reason they should win. If that were the case, why not just throw all marching technique, musical technique, visual technique, and so on, out the window? Why bother teaching kids the technique of that specific corps? What type of competition would this be? Crowd connection should be PART of the equation, but if everything else is thrown in the garbage just to please the crowd, the spirit of competition is completely useless IMO.

• Like 1