Sacramento Slushie Machine

Sac State facility is really an abomination. The whole business BOTH grandstands are made of scaffolding, not concrete and steel as one might expect. Restroom facilities are small trailers, not permanent facilities. I'm sure many of you have seem high school facilities better than Sac State's. I still can't believe they held Olympic track and field trials there in recent past.

Anyways, here's a suggestion, the next time these guys schedule a "Moonlight Classic" in Sacramento it had better coincide with the FULL moon (we're only about "first quarter" right now).

Has anyone mentioned taking care of the fans in this whole deal? Dropping $20 and not seeing the top corps is pretty lame.

VIP seating was $30.

Indeed, the stadium is among the worst, if not the worst drumcorps venues I've ever been in. Sight lines are poor, with low seating. The sound is without question the worst, with even big corps sounding anemic. My fiance said there were 3 toilets total. Getting around is difficult with only a couple of narrow staircases out of the stands -- I'm amazed it passes fire code. And the scaffolding supports look like they could collapse at any minute. The only good thing was the variety of food was reasonably interesting, and parking was excellent. But for enjoying the shows, ugh.

I also heard that the university made things difficult beforehand with a lot of rules - for example, the corps weren't allowed to roll the keyboards on the track. And then after all the grief they don't even turn the lights on.

Sac City College, who used to host Sound Expo, by contrast, has one of the best drumcorps stadiums anywhere. I'd love to see the Moonlight Classic go there. All the corps sounded huge!

• Like 1

I also heard that the university made things difficult beforehand with a lot of rules - for example, the corps weren't allowed to roll the keyboards on the track.

Keyboards are fine on the track, it's the vehicles they didn't want on the track. Hence the plywood runways. I can't vouch for whether or not this was communicated properly onsite.

For those that are interested, the university's statement on the event is here.. I post this as an FYI, not as any suggestion of my opinions on the matter.

Though I do not know all the intricacies on Drum Corps and speaking as proud Aggie Alum, UC Davis and many other places mentioned would be lousy for Drum Corps. I like the high view that a place like Hornet Stadium provides for viewing a show.That is why seating at Stanford Stadium is so good. Davis and most high schools, including Folsom are too low to get a good view. By the way I was at a night game in Aggie Stadium when the lights went out. It took over twenty minutes to get the lights back on. Light failures can happen anywhere. No maintenance had been done at A.A. Stagg stadium (UOP) for years, still picking splinters out of my butt from that place. It is a shame the first show at a new venue was cancelled due to incompetence. But I have traveled to the East Coast to see a show that ended up being cancelled due to weather. Now that was certainly not the fault of anyone but I felt a heck of lot worse than after yesterday's cancellation.

Since no refunds will apparently be given, here's one idea: One or two DCI Fan Network shows for those w/ proof of purchase to 2012 Moonlight Classic 8)

This should be DCI's standing policy any time a show is cancelled for any reason.

• Like 2

Wait... So UOP closed or what did they say? I loved the sound quality of UOP.

Yes, UOP shut down the stadium.

UOP stadium was closed / condemned.

Condemned... Oh well does the lights work, sounds good to me