Seiverville Scotch n Soda

I think both staffs know how to layer a show. Phantom won 2008 not because they played more notes and moved more than everyone else, but because

they nutured the emotional parts of the show and pulled the audience ( and judges) in. I love both Cadets and Crown's show this year but

it will come down to performance levels and captions since they both are neck and neck in the GE arena. (now anyway).

• Like 1

I only had to march on that field once, thank God. It was not a fun time.

I texted my son after the show to see how it was..

ME: How was that field to march on? I read that it was slightly hill-like.

HIM: If by hill-like they meant it's a hill, then yes. It wasn't great.

• Like 3

I can agree with this for now. We'll see what visual changes both corps have coming. Right now it seems Cadets show is more "complete" to me. Do you agree with that?

I apologize for jumping in; I'd like to answer your question and then make a comment. Yes, Cadets' show is more complete right now (than Crown). Cadets have plenty of room to build on what they have.

My comment is to who's marching show is more difficult. I feel Crown is really exposing their brass to persue a really risky run around drill at times. Cadets know how to march fast and under control which to some people they may not look like their doing much (but they are). I was just on tour with the Cadets for two weeks and I asked the kids which show is/was harder to march: Angels and Demons or 12.25. Their answer was 12.25. It may not look it to you (the audience) but the Cadets are booking out there. You should take notice on the directional changes of the body when they're marching and playing. Yes Crown marches a difficult show but Cadets make what they're doing look easy and it "ain't". Just sayin.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

I apologize for jumping in; I'd like to answer your question and then make a comment. Yes, Cadets' show is more complete right now (than Crown). Cadets have plenty of room to build on what they have.

My comment is to who's marching show is more difficult. I feel Crown is really exposing their brass to persue a really risky run around drill at times. Cadets know how to march fast and under control which to some people they may not look like their doing much (but they are). I was just on tour with the Cadets for two weeks and I asked the kids which show is/was harder to march: Angels and Demons or 12.25. Their answer was 12.25. It may not look it to you (the audience) but the Cadets are booking out there. You should take notice on the directional changes of the body when they're marching and playing. Yes Crown marches a difficult show but Cadets make what they're doing look easy and it "ain't". Just sayin.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I thought the same thing.

Personally, I applaud Crown for taking on such a difficult show given all those notes they're playing. I hope they master it and clean it up. That show is a beast from what I've seen on the fan network. I also notice Cadets doing a lot of booking on the field. I think what makes Crown's look harder is the fact they're spread all over the field at a lot of points in the music.

• Like 1

Irving

Fan of the Arts

There were some parts of Crown's show, that appeared to me to be difficult to be difficult, rather than generating a noticeable effect. In particular, the very last move. I noticed this in rehearsal videos and then again in person at the show. The form has basically evolved to a stopping point, and then there is a drum break of just a few counts before a final note. During that time numerous horns along the front sideline do a mad dash to change positions. It doesn't present itself as a pinwheel/gate, but more like a shuffling of spots. The musical phrase didn't seem to really mandate something that dramatic (or even any additional motion at all). So, rather than leave a final impression of a cool form that rapidly evolved and halted for a big final chord, you remember some poor souls charging to arrive at their set just in time.

I think various other instances of stuff like that throughout the show created the "clumping" effect that I referenced in my Orlando review. My assumption is they will eventually trim some of those bits back, which will make the whole show appear dramatically cleaner.

Cadets' forms generally moved more smoothly, without unexpected bursts of speed, so I think that makes them appear easier at first glance.

Let's not forget that more demand does not equal better or more effective drill. Many many factors go into good drill. And demand is just one of them. And it doesn't necessarily have to have the demand level of Cadets or Crown to win. BD for example. And Phantom has some wonderful drill this year.

And also, I think the Crossmen will be okay. At least they weren't DQ'd last night????

And a request to Chuck if he is still reading. The last chord of the ballad. At some point this season resolve it and add 8 counts. It would be super awesome. Thanks. I know the guard will be ######, "8 more counts to clean!!!" Wahhhhh.. but just do it. Lol

Or you can ignore me... since I'm not the arranger for the Crossmen... yet. tongue.gif

Will the Differnce for Crown and Cadets be in the percussion? If so i think Cadets were much cleaner and playing many more notes.