Are corps "teaching to the test?"

Well. I'm a young fan. This year is definitely more exciting for me than '07, which is my least favorite season since I started following in '94. But it's certainly no '99. That year rocked, like holy crap good, every single corps.

For me a great drum corps season is one where I can watch most of the shows without thinking, "This is just like any other drum corps show..." or "This doesn't work." I like '99 because every corps that year seemed to be giving the activity something new, even in really straightforward ways, like finding new ways to be entertaining (which every corps did, IMO). Actually, the stretch of seasons from '97-'04 were all really wonderful.

This season could be good, but I'm not sure I'll be watching all 12 corps on DVD repeatedly like with some other years. I'm very fond of what a few corps are doing -- and very excited about the prospect of a new champion. But we'll see.

Edited by saxfreq1128

Well. I'm a young fan. This year is definitely more exciting for me than '07, which is my least favorite season since I started following in '94. But it's certainly no '99. That year rocked, like holy crap good, every single corps.

For me a great drum corps season is one where I can watch most of the shows without thinking, "This is just like any other drum corps show..." or "This doesn't work." I like '99 because every corps that year seemed to be giving the activity something new, even in really straightforward ways, like finding new ways to be entertaining (which every corps did, IMO). Actually, the stretch of seasons from '97-'04 were all really wonderful.

This season could be good, but I'm not sure I'll be watching all 12 corps on DVD repeatedly like with some other years. I'm very fond of what a few corps are doing -- and very excited about the prospect of a new champion. But we'll see.

I agree with everything. '07 was my least favorite year overall, though I did like shows in the middle of the top 12 and some outside. I know there are better performed 12th place finishes lately, but musically Colts '99 is one of my favs!

I like the changes to the judge sheets, as they've allowed for more entertainment being rewarded.

It's a good start, but we still have the same people judging. Most of whom, at least on the music side, are educators, not composers, producers, choreographers and others involved in actually putting on professionally run shows in any medium. Until that becomes at least some percentage of the judging community, don't expect major changes in focus.

Has the activity become so competitive with respect to the judging sheet that excitement/enjoyment is no longer part of the design process?

What are your thoughts?

Are young fans enjoying this season as much as the last 5 seasons?

Yes...

...and the synths have killed 2 of my friends enjoyment of drum corps this year after watching 2 shows...

I'm seriously in doubt as well...

• Like 1

I know there are better performed 12th place finishes lately, but musically Colts '99 is one of my favs!

That is an incredible show.

Has the activity become so competitive with respect to the judging sheet that excitement/enjoyment is no longer part of the design process?

1) drum corps have ALWAYS designed to the sheets. This is a competitive activity, and regardless of what some people might've said, no one designs a show solely for entertainment/ignoring judging criteria

2) no designer designs solely for the sheets either. Designers love the roar of the crowds as well as high scores, and designers are seemingly always striving to achieve/max-out both the sheets & crowd

that being said....

3) not every year can be super entertaining (or even good execution wise). Some years we have show designs that the majority of fans seem to think are great top to bottom, and some years we have a Top 12 where the majority of finalists get a 'golf clap' but otherwise have unexciting shows.

Also, it's all subjective of course: what you might think lacks entertainment plenty might find incredibly exciting.

It's a good start, but we still have the same people judging. Most of whom, at least on the music side, are educators, not composers, producers, choreographers and others involved in actually putting on professionally run shows in any medium. Until that becomes at least some percentage of the judging community, don't expect major changes in focus.

same could be said on the visual side :blink:

Edited by GUARDLING

What are your thoughts?

Are young fans enjoying this season as much as the last 5 seasons?

in some cases yes. there are several corps that manage to find that balance.

the problem is the sheets encourage that balance, but it isn't being fully applied yet

same could be said on the visual side :blink:

yep