Attraction?

My dad marched with a corps up in Canada and aged out with the Blue Devils snare line and wanted me to have the same amazing experiences he had. So he took me to every show he could including a show in Louisiana in 1991 where Star of Indiana made it's first impression on me! I was only a little kid at the time, but the power and the things I was seeing made me fall in love with the activity! Thanks dad!

• Like 2

My marching instructors/director Freshman and Sophomore year of high school would never shut up about "in Blue Devils you couldn't this, and you couldn't that". :bluedevil: "Blue Devils this and that!!" :bluedevil: Alot of screaming and always being mad. :bluedevil: Then, I finally found out what Blue Devils :bluedevil: was on PBS that August at the end of the first week of camp. The screamer trumpets did it for me (back when I liked Blue Devils, late 90's)

...then I saw Vanguard[the light] and their drill :tic: ; and that sealed the deal. My Junior, Senior and 2 years in college had SCV instructors and they've been my faves(the corps) since! Love the comedy in VK's 80's and 90's shows and I just had an epiphany as to why I may be biased against Blue Devils....hahahahaha!!! Nah, they were good instructors, they meant well. I can proudly say that at 14 I had 12 hour days at "band" camp and stood at attention with the horns up for 15 minutes at a time, unless someone ticked and we started again. :tugowar:

Totally off topic, but not really, since this is "attraction". Of the two former styles (BD/SCV late 90's), and since then, it has always far more impressed me when a lead trumpet/soprano can play stratospheric notes while standing with amazing posture (or marching with amazing posture), than contorting backward and bending in ways the human body shouldn't bend. It's a preference thing, all you dada-ers. Either way, corps is a great activity! And great entertainment! :beer:

What attracted you to drum corps?

The 27th Lancers Color Guard

There was just something hot about those good looking chicks with an attitude.

Up until three years ago I didn't know Drum Corps even existed. That was when my son, at the end of his sophomore year in high school, announced that he was giving up the clarinet...the instrument he had played since third grade...to play horn/mello. His reason was that he wanted to march with the Blue Knights. I already had two years of watching high school marching band performances, so after a little investigation, I knew just what my son was getting himself into and I approved wholeheartedly. Three years later, he auditioned and was invited to BK.

I am eagerly awaiting this Saturday when I can experience my first ever live DCI performance at DATR.

Great!... ' hope you enjoy your first live show, and best regards to your son and I hope he has a blast doing Drum Corps.

It was the chicks, man! Actually, I didn't discover that until after I got sucked in.

For me, some friends of mine that marched with Fever in '82 brought over a video tape of '82 VF and the top 12 from that year. After just 1 viewing, I knew I had to do this.

Edited by skajerk

Up until three years ago I didn't know Drum Corps even existed. That was when my son, at the end of his sophomore year in high school, announced that he was giving up the clarinet...the instrument he had played since third grade...to play horn/mello. His reason was that he wanted to march with the Blue Knights. I already had two years of watching high school marching band performances, so after a little investigation, I knew just what my son was getting himself into and I approved wholeheartedly. Three years later, he auditioned and was invited to BK.

I am eagerly awaiting this Saturday when I can experience my first ever live DCI performance at DATR.

And another victim falls prey to drum corps. Welcome aboard!

I watched the '05 ESPN recording once in band. It was cool, but the instruments looked too heavy. So I never thought I could do it.

However, in '08, my parents forced me to go to a Troopers camp. I thought I would do it a year and be done, going in. Four years later, their mistake!

• Like 1

Totally off topic, but not really, since this is "attraction". Of the two former styles (BD/SCV late 90's), and since then, it has always far more impressed me when a lead trumpet/soprano can play stratospheric notes while standing with amazing posture (or marching with amazing posture), than contorting backward and bending in ways the human body shouldn't bend.

As a former lead sop, first of all, this is blasphemy. Secondly, where's the fun in that??

Lastly, we gotta lean back to lift our HUGE brass balls off the ground. :tongue:

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 2