Chambersburg Show

Chambersburg, Pa

CROWN- Crown has all the elements of a winner. A great visual package Expressive competent Color Guard and That Horn line! The first half of Crowns show is all about movement. They have more drill sets in the first half of their show than most corps have in their whole show. Combine that with their trade mark body movement and you get a kaleidoscopic effect unlike any drum corps you'll see this year. The second half of their show Crown reminds you of what they're known for.That Sound! That full, Lush. Loud! Brass sound! Wow! Now, I remind you. It is early July! There are still issues in every corps. Drums seem to be Crowns weakest section according to my buddy sitting with me who's a drum guy. And, IMO the guard uniforms and flags tend to blend into the rest of the corps. Is this by design or are they saving the big colorful moments for later on in the season? Can't wait to see what coming down the road.

CADETS- I call this an UnChristmas show. I didn't think a show full of Christmas music would work but, You can't put anything past the talent staff of The Cadets. The arrangement are great! The Visual program is incredible. Drums and Brass are on point! The guard is top notch! Most of all, This show works! All of the visual symbolism snow flakes, Christmas trees, gifts etc... And great drum corp moments! A beautiful silent flag moment, Awesome screaming trumpet solos and a drum line the marches like... They used to when drum lines marched! There are still performance issues and about 3 seconds of recorded voice that seemed unnecessary but, this show entertains, this show excites and this show can win!

CROSSMEN- From the drum majors with the double cross sashes to the "Save the Earth" themed show. It's the early 90's and the Crossmen are making a push for the top 12! And, just like the the early 90's The Crossmen have a crowd pleasing show and great soloist but, It's 2012 and the Crossmen have a lot of cleaning to do if they are to make the top12 again. The Crossemen 's show is well put together. The music fits the theme perfectly and the kids seem to really enjoy performing the show. Tonight marching seemed to be their biggest problem. One tuba tripping over a large prop, one tuba falling and a few brass players tripping over grounded flags and rifles. One nice thing about the Crossmen show is the impact points in the show are well written and they deliver! By August this should be a 3 standing ovation show at least!

I'll finish this tomorrow!

• Like 3

As for pricing..the Jackson show was a complete sellout...the only ticket I could buy was a ticket to stand by the fence or go to the back stands...$10.

It wasn't a big stadium and they are within reasonable driving distance of two big population markets--New York and Philly.

I feel like I was watching Family Guy.

"thats the smartest thing anyone has ever said ever" LOL

I love Peter Griffin.

CADETS- I call this an UnChristmas show. I didn't think a show full of Christmas music would work but, You can't put anything past the talent staff of The Cadets.

Years ago I had a friend that quipped " The Cadets could play Jingle Bells and win "

And here in 2012, Lo, and behold.....

You mean it wasn't as cheap as $5 for everyone like it was in Bridgeport.

I'll swallow my pride (and wallet) and shell out for the :cough: cheap :cough: tickets at MetLife. I'm hoping that I can sit right on the 50 in the highest row of the suite level like I did last year.

My first show of the season.

Several commented on the scores being down. I think it was due to the Eash Coast heat wave. While is wasn't as hot last night, the previous three days most cities have had record tieing or breaking temps which I think finally took it's toll. Three emergency units were called to check on members; at least one went to the hospital. Several holes in each corps. Some may have never been filled, but in Cadets and Crown I'm sure injuries and sickness.

Raiders had a lot of holes nice brass sound for a smaller corps. Main problem is a small trumpet section. Mellows were very good. Not much to say about the visual program.

As others said, Teal has a great musial program but konw need to get the visual program going.

The Colts have a colorful fun show. Perhaps the best show design in a while.

Best Crossmen in years!!! Great sound! Great DM trumpet solo at the end of the show. I think their best show design in a LONG time.

Crown :thumbup::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Cadets? I mostly do like this show and the arrangments are very good. Love the opening with Ding Dong, a favorite Christmas tune of mine. Great jingle bells. But the Ballad doesn't quite work. They're playing a beautiful song that tells the religious Christmas story, introduced by Linus (from a Charlie Brown Christmas) while the gaurd is playing on the ski slopes??????? Needs to change. Hark The Harold Angels starts great but the ending seems to go a little flat.

Crown has more difficulty, Cadets are cleaner. I see Crown staying on top.

Cadets have off until Friday. I suspect their big changes are going in. I would be surprised if the visual (drill) in the Ballad

is not completely rewritten.

sorry for delay / walked back to my car

Cadets gave a solid performance

Opener is strong point

Middle tunes tighetened up and improved

Percussion is a significant strength over Crown

Cadets will need to restage the ballad / push toward audience / lose the slides and get the guard in white / to trim the GE gaps in music and visual that have opened up

Pushed toward audience that tune could be an imcredible music moment ala Hymnsong

Closer seems short and ragged / like a temp fix

Overal very talented and well performing corps with a nice program

What's your contact info and how soon can you get down to Western Carolina University to help out?

Yup...I loved the rpeshow and opener, and then my interest flagged a bit (at Jackson). They had this huge impact chord near the end of the show...but there was no real buildup to pull the crowd...there was virtually no applause. I was standing at the fence with two Xmen staff right in front of me...they turned to the stands at that spot to check the reaction, and they looked kind of bummed that the spot did not generate a big reaction.

For this show to work they have to throw everything, inc the kitchen sink, into the mix. I'm sure they will!

:smile:

ok, but the kitchen sink has to be in holiday colors

:tongue:

Cadets will need to restage the ballad / push toward audience / lose the slides and get the guard in white / to trim the GE gaps in music and visual that have opened up

Pushed toward audience that tune could be an imcredible music moment ala Hymnsong

All this has been my wish list from the beginning, so we can hope it is now on their list too!