Chambersburg Show

I've given up on caring about scores and from purely an enjoyment factor, I liked the Colts show. I didn't get the colorguard uniforms, I rarely do, but I liked the use of color throughout the show that added visual impact to the performance. Crossmen had a nice performance. Enjoyed the music, but the cutouts may get in the way. Crown had exceptional brass, but visually it was a smear of cream. I didn't dig the whole Christmas thing for a summer show, so my enjoyment of the Cadets was biased from the beginning. So I think the show that impressed me the most was the Colts. Unfortunately, that adds zero points to the overall score. Another fun show at Chambersburg and I'm very happy that the rain held off.

• Like 1

Crown killed it

Drums are the weakest link / if it comes down to BD/Caders and them that will be the decider

They will need to spread enough in brass and GE

That seems doable with some tweeks to the middle of the program and cleaner feet

Nice job Crown!

I agree, but I don't think in the end (August) Crown will be able to produce enough of a spread in brass and GE to compensate for percussion. On the other hand Cadet's percussion will be the biggest surprise taking that caption.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

I agree, but I don't think in the end (August) Crown will be able to produce enough of a spread in brass and GE to compensate for percussion. On the other hand Cadet's percussion will be the biggest surprise taking that caption.

I'm not sure percussion is all that big a weakness. The written books have only been a tenth apart -- execution is where the bulk of the spread (just a half point) has been. I don't think you'd see the books that close if Crown and Cadets weren't comparable.

And I wonder how much of the execution gap is due to the timpani phasing issues that are still taking place. No perc judge is going to be able to ignore those errors -- he's gonna be compelled to knock off a few tenths for it.

Interesting to hear what was said during Crown's ensemble yesterday. They were acknowledging that there are still issues, But they also seemed satisfied that good progress was being made on those issues and that the performers were figuring it out.

Edited by corpsband

It wasn't a big stadium and they are within reasonable driving distance of two big population markets--New York and Philly.

OK...but my comment was aimed at Jeff's complaint about the price being too high. Since they sold out every seat, plus a bunch of us buying the SRO tickets, it was not priced too high for the market.

Of course, size-wise it is not like Giant's Stadium...it is a normal sized HS stadium for NJ.

I'm not sure percussion is all that big a weakness. The written books have only been a tenth apart -- execution is where the bulk of the spread (just a half point) has been. I don't think you'd see the books that close if Crown and Cadets weren't comparable.

And I wonder how much of the execution gap is due to the timpani phasing issues that are still taking place. No perc judge is going to be able to ignore those errors -- he's gonna be compelled to knock off a few tenths for it.

Interesting to hear what was said during Crown's ensemble yesterday. They were acknowledging that there are still issues, But they also seemed satisfied that good progress was being made on those issues and that the performers were figuring it out.

All I'm saying is if Cadets are not winning GE and behind slightly in brass I believe percussion is where we all have to look at for the difference. Yes, it will be close right down to Saturday night in Indy.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Got to see Crown live twice this past weekend. Show didn't even come close to living up to all the hype on DCP. Really good brass line with some impressive impact moments. Other than that, I actually zoned out during a big chunk of their performance. Show just didn't connect for me like some of their previous offerings. And the body movement, enough already!! Body movement can be a cool effect if not overdone. Crown has been doing the same body movements for years and it's getting a bit old a worn out. I know my opinions will not be popular with some on DCP; oh well, these are just my honest opinions. This years offering from Crown just doesn't seem to have that "it" factor required to win a championship. Good luck to all the corps in DCI, and travel safely out there.

• Like 3

Got to see Crown live twice this past weekend. Show didn't even come close to living up to all the hype on DCP. Really good brass line with some impressive impact moments. Other than that, I actually zoned out during a big chunk of their performance. Show just didn't connect for me like some of their previous offerings. And the body movement, enough already!! Body movement can be a cool effect if not overdone. Crown has been doing the same body movements for years and it's getting a bit old a worn out. I know my opinions will not be popular with some on DCP; oh well, these are just my honest opinions. This years offering from Crown just doesn't seem to have that "it" factor required to win a championship. Good luck to all the corps in DCI, and travel safely out there.

While I would agree that DCP definately hypes Crown more so than most other corps, I would strongly disagree that this show lacks the "it"

factor required to win. Like Cadets, Crown has a bit of a lull mid show that they have to and I am sure, are addressing. The Quincey VOD is up

and I would say watch both cream teams, they are sensational and this is early July.

Some thoughts from last night:

Crown - While I can appreciate the level of difficulty in their show, it didn't really connect with me. Maybe I'm looking for more meaning out of it, or over-thinking it, but the second part of their show still just seems out of place to me. Their brass is unreal, and I expect them to bring home the Ott again this year. But I don't think I see this as a championship show. I think their GE will start to peak in a few weeks and they will be too busy trying to clean this monster of a show to be able to make any adjustments. Just my opinion. Would love to see them prove me wrong and get their first ring.

Cadets - Enjoyed it more in person than I thought I would, but without some serious tweaks, I see them fighting for 2nd or 3rd come finals. There's a disconnect in the ballad with what's being played (beautifully, I might add) and what's being portrayed in the guard. I think having the guard completely without any equipment during that number is a huge risk, and one that I don't think is paying off. The closer leaves me flat, but I am admittedly a very tough critic when it comes to Cadet closers. I expect to be blown away, and this is not doing it at all. Musically, it's okay. Visually, not so much. I know Sacktig can do better. That said, I think the individual captions are strong across the board. Which just makes me even more frustrated that they've been given just an above average vehicle.

Crossmen - My first read on them and it was a good one. Certainly a show that has what it takes to get them back into finals. Some issues with their silhouette props, but nothing major. Some tightening up on the design end and folks in Indy should be seeing Bones on Saturday.

Colts - Either missed the announcement about their show, or it was never made, but wasn't really sure what I was watching. Not sure I see them making the top 12, but their closer certainly woke the crowd up in Chambersburg.