Blue Devils Calendar

Which would be stupid. Why do you want them to be like everyone else? I sure as heck don't. I find whiplash drill to be pretty boring. It's the same, year after year after year.

I think you can put advanced concepts in conventional drill, and I think there are huge differences in the styles of corps like Cadets Cavies and Crown.

But the difficulty is not only in the drill....I believe the most challenging part of any show this year is when Crown is stretched pretty much from end zone to end zone and there are 4 sets of timpani and 3 sets of bass drums all playing at the same time.....there are also parts of Crowns show where they are in 8 step intervals covering the entire field and still playing like a million bucks.

• Like 2

The layering of multiple responsibilities on the performers is much less and less demanding than other groups. I am not saying that harder is better. They perform very well. A University student would also do very well on a 9th grade test.

So AShy!

Sadly, you're quite wrong. They do layering very well. You want everyone doing it all at the same time. They don't do it that way. it may a section here, a pod there. It may be multiple groups doing different things at the same time.

But they do it.

What they don't do is run around the field playing a bazillion notes at a 4 to 5 at 210. Which is why in Mid July you won't hear feet through the horns with BD. hell some corps you still hear it in late July

What does that mean feet through the horns? You can actually hear their footfalls over the horns?

it means as they are moving, you can hear the pulse from their feet punctuating the air they put thru the horns

oh ok makes sense.

Think of it as similar to hearing the pulsing in a long roll (Suncoast 84 in the drum break....you could hear the right hand attacks a bit louder than the left...even a horn guy like ME could hear it)

So....going out and marching a show with no lights from the get go is a good thing? You WANT collisions and injuries?? :thumbdown:

Yes, I know they marched the 2nd half of the 99 show in the VERY early season in the dark due to a sudden blackout...I have the video. But they were in the middle of the show at that point and the corps as a whole elected to continue....with no stop in the action. I don't see a way for the staff or show sponsors to have been able to STOP it, given how loud the crowd was when they kept going.

Running a show from the beginning in the dark is just stupid.

The lights not working was not the fault of the corps, but the fault of the organizers. And it was avoidable and stupid. BTW< they finally got them working about an hour too late.

Edited by ajwdad