Blue Devils Calendar

To preface this, I don't believe what one corps does is inherently more difficult than what another corps does.

So Crown's show is no more difficult than, say, Pioneer's?

There's the ticket right there. While I don't agree with the notching system (I think it doesn't give enough wiggle room player to player) it's a system and it works across the line.

Notching has always just been a guideline. This allows the staff to quickly tune the entire horn line for rehearsal without the extensive tuning otherwise needed (or rehearsing out of tune). The staff can pull on member from each instrument and tune for the environment (starting from the exhuastive past experience). The theory is that if you blow straight and true through the horn, you will be in tune, based on the mark. Each individual learns over the course of the year if they are slightly above or below the mark on the horn (giving said "wiggle room" to each player). Again, this allows better use of time in rehearsals AND in tuning before a show (most are already 99% ready before formal tuning). As discussed, this is another way they are able to be more efficient during actual rehearsal/instructive time.

As Sam noted, this was actually started with Jack Meehan (I recall many times where Jack would commandeer all of the horns to work on this system)...continued under Wayne Downey...and still used by Jack's son John. I would be surprised if other top corps are not doing this as well.

• Like 2

The Blue Devils 'C' is clearly the most demanding show on a football field.

(It's also the most adorable)

I'm sure it is to them! Those kids are a lot older than I was when I founded the corps. Carrying a drum when you are 9 is not easy to do.

I didn't "found" the Cadet corps I was a charter member is what I meant to say.

I have seen Jack do some amazing stuff at BD practices. I was there when he was experimenting with the "space chord" stuff at a camp in 78. Really fascinated me so I asked him what they were doing because he was helping us tune the Timpani. He took the Timpani line in to listen to what they were doing. I'm not positive but I think that was when it started or near about there.

It confuses me that everyone says that BD makes it "look easy" but other corps do not? That BD makes efficient use of time, but other corps do not? The BD works hard in January, but other corps do not?

No, not at all, that would be lame. Everything you're citing is usually a BD fan's defense against the charge that their shows are easy. You don't see people saying the same thing about other corps because you don't usually see the other corps getting the same criticism. Taken out of context, those comments seem remarkably lame, but in context, they make sense to me.

Personally, I don't have a fetish for hyper-difficulty. What's the point if -- as is often the case with the Cadets, for example -- you have members falling on their tails during finals week? What's the point if -- as is often the case for most corps -- you reach finals night and still aren't clean? That's exciting for you guys? That's not exciting for me. I'd have loved to see Crown win in '09 for example, but not with that visual performance. I love the Cavaliers' "Four Corners" show, but... let's be honest.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

No, not at all, that would be lame. Everything you're citing is usually a BD fan's defense against the charge that their shows are easy. You don't see people saying the same thing about other corps because you don't usually see the other corps getting the same criticism. Taken out of context, those comments seem remarkably lame, but in context, they make sense to me.

Personally, I don't have a fetish for hyper-difficulty. What's the point if -- as is often the case with the Cadets, for example -- you have members falling on their tails during finals week? What's the point if -- as is often the case for most corps -- you reach finals night and still aren't clean? That's exciting for you guys? That's not exciting for me. I'd have loved to see Crown win in '09 for example, but not with that visual performance. I love the Cavaliers' "Four Corners" show, but... let's be honest.

1000 times this.

• Like 1