Blue Devils Calendar

In fact, I had to check the author a couple times to be convenced you wrote the posts....but yes, you have been extraordinarily complimentary and even....it's hard for me to type this........balanced! It's that new baby...that's what it is! :thumbup:

whoa Nellie, don't get too excited. It'd be a cold day in hell before I put 08-10 in my dvd player again. 11 well, lukearm

but if you even mention an extra loud pit mic job of their corps you get red neg'ed for the next week and get branded a trouble maker.

If you write politely, and couch your opinions as opinions, you can be plenty critical and get nary a red mark. Next time you want to post something negative about a corps, try bracketing it with two nice things, and people will praise you for being insightful instead of red-marking you. :tongue: And you may find yourself feeling better about the world at the same time.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

again...if you show a skill once and you do it well, you do nto need to do it a zillion more times. if you do a zillion skills, some many, many times,and they aren'tclean, you don't get credit for theattempt.

I believe the argument from BD is that the show is mentally more demanding, if not physically.

But my argument is that BDs show is not much more conceptually or mentally challenging than the other elite corps. Also since BD does not really do conventional drill, there are some skills that they do not even attempt. I think all things being equal, you have to start looking for the inequities.

Also I am not quite sure what you mean by a corps doing a single skill a zillion times. Is marching not the fundamental skill of a visual program? Look at other subjective judged sports like diving and gymnastics, do you not get a higher score performing a very difficult skill at 95% than you do performing an easy skill at a 100%?

Bottom line is that mental demand is much easier to accomplish when you are not putting a great deal of physical demand on the performer.

But my argument is that BDs show is not much more conceptually or mentally challenging than the other elite corps. Also since BD does not really do conventional drill, there are some skills that they do not even attempt. I think all things being equal, you have to start looking for the inequities.

Also I am not quite sure what you mean by a corps doing a single skill a zillion times. Is marching not the fundamental skill of a visual program? Look at other subjective judged sports like diving and gymnastics, do you not get a higher score performing a very difficult skill at 95% than you do performing an easy skill at a 100%?

Bottom line is that mental demand is much easier to accomplish when you are not putting a great deal of physical demand on the performer.

Marching is not just one single skill, just like "cooking" is not just one single skill. Also you are wrong about levels of challenges presented to the kids in BD. Why does the visual side of things always have to be a zero-sum game to a lot of you all?

• Like 3

Explain how BD places less physical demand on their performers than other groups do.

• Like 3

Explain how BD places less physical demand on their performers than other groups do.

Visual rehearsal in sandals is a thing that is possible. (Or, at least was when I marched.)

Edited to add: This isn't a knock. I just literally don't understand the whole BD experience at all. We shared housing with them a few times one year, so we had the opportunity to watch them rehearse. Guys were out there in sandals, which blew my mind! They were nailing it, for sure... I just couldn't fathom how such a thing would be possible.

Edited by whitedawn
  • Like 2

Simple, follow a contra player march BDs show, then watch a contra player march Crowns show. Notice intervals, playing while marching, pass throughs and how often they are integrated into the main form, then ask yourself which player marched the more physical show.....then do the same thing with Cadets and Cavies. If you are honest with yourself, then it will become apparent that of the elite corps, BD is the least physical.

I choose contra player because that was my section, and it is the clearest example of my point, because BDs drill treats the contra section like a high school sousaphone section by segregating them so much from the main form (Although I will concede that this year is less egregious, than in recent years past)

Now note, I never once said that their visual program is easy, and I am only comparing them with corps who are perennially in the top 6.

• Like 2

Visual rehearsal in sandals is a thing that is possible. (Or, at least was when I marched.)

When did you march? Before 1990 I would hope...

When did you march? Before 1990 I would hope...

LOL... Whitedawn was in some pretty good shows (in the 2000's). Just to let you know...

• Like 1

LOL... Whitedawn was in some pretty good shows (in the 2000's). Just to let you know...

Oh dear me. When I get done working all of our changes in this ensemble rehearsal I'll take some time to look up his stats.