Teal Sound Ends Tour

I agree that open conversation with Teal Sound Board members and parents is important, however, I am not sure that what I saw on the Facebook page was open dialogue or constructive. Also, the fact that some of the posts were not deleted does not make me think that the leadership of Teal Sound wanted to give people a forum to speak or demonstrate transparency, it made me wonder if anyone was taking charge of the situation. While I understand that the leadership of Teal had more important things to do than monitor a Facebook page and believe that management should take all posts from parents seriously, the Facebook page probably contained more misinformation than anything else. Facebook is a great way to communicate certain things, but the key to using social media as a tool is using it effectively and as someone who works with youth and has to deal with parents, it is never a way to communicate critical issues to parents nor is it a substitute for direct conversations.

We may never know exactly what happened to Teal Sound, unless the corps is reorganized as Teal Sound and a full accounting will be necessary. My guess is that some of the management and instructional staff will reorganize a new corps and it may be filled with former Teal Sound people, but it will have a new name and will learn from the mistakes made by Teal. However, much of this could have been avoided if Teal had waited until the next morning to inform corps members rather than after a show at 11:30 PM and had alerted parents of minors prior to the announcement or while it was taking place. I'm sure the "Nothing Else Matters" speech was heartfelt and well intentioned, one last chance at making the kids feel good about a disastrous situation, but if they had lodging, which it seems they did, it could have waited until morning and for parents, lots of things matter: a scared kid, a disillusioned young person, a kid with dreams smashed, and a kid out $2,000. Learning via a stranded kid or though Facebook should never be means of communication about something so important.

Part of the problem, from what I understand, is that the person who ran the website was let go shortly before tour. This made the FB page and emails I guess as the only true source of information for parents.

While I don't necessarily think the parents are doing the right thing, I'm pretty sure they don't care at all about Teal sound coming back. At this point they're ######, feel cheated, and are looking towards getting some kind of answers from the corps director. The longer the director and administration stays silent, the more these parents are pushed towards action, and frankly I can't really blame them.

Good point.

That Facebook page is the epitome of lacking class. :thumbdown: I understand that there are questions to be asked, and answers that must be given, but I don't think these parents are realizing that the frenzy they are whipping up could have a very negative impact on Teal Sound's future. :thumbdown:

Im going to go out on a limb here and make a wild guess, YOU dont have children.

• Like 2

To be honest, I don't think those parents CARE about Teal's future. They care about their kids, and what happened to them. I can't say that I would be overly concerned about the drum corps' future if I were in their shoes. (And I hope that somehow Teal can rebound from this, but I am not holding my breath)

Exactly

• Like 1

Assumes intent not in evidence. I don't know exactly what, how and why things happened. To me (at least) that matters. Was there gross negligence or malfeasance ? Or did a series of unfortunate events compound which led to the decision to end the tour?

I don't know.

I *do* know that those kids probably still care about the corps and don't want it to fold. Many of them might return if the corps can rebound from this sad episode. If Teal is something that matters to your kid, you might want to consider what certain precipitous and short-sighted actions might do to an organization that your kid (and 130 of his friends) loves. Tell me how your kid will feel if you say "Here. I got $500 of your tour fee back but in the process I kind of destroyed your drum corps".

That makes some sense.

I guess just personally for me, what matters most is the result (I've taken both DiSC and MyersBriggs personality assessments and they agree on how I think about things, heh). "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" and all that... I realize not everyone thinks like this though.

is Teal Sound the corps that lost $25000 in gas money in the last couple years? Like they had cash and then it was gone? Maybe it wasn't Teal... and maybe it was only $2500?

I do remember a story of Teal getting robbed a couple of years back, it was either 2010 or 2009. Anyone else remember that happening?

From the TS Parents FB page:

"To all: Contact has been made with Teal Sound's director Cary Byrd. According to Cary, a formal explanation will be forthcoming. Hopefully this page has helped for what it was intended and will be shut down soon. Thank you!"