Teal Sound Ends Tour

That Facebook page is the epitome of lacking class. :thumbdown: I understand that there are questions to be asked, and answers that must be given, but I don't think these parents are realizing that the frenzy they are whipping up could have a very negative impact on Teal Sound's future. :thumbdown:

Edited by scsudrummer

That Facebook page is the epitome of lacking class. :thumbdown: I understand that there are questions to be asked, and answers that must be given, but I don't think these parents are realizing that the frenzy they are whipping up could have a very negative impact on Teal Sound's future. :thumbdown:

Then where are the answers? Silence and running away has a far greater negative impact than a FB thread that will be buried into timeline in days.

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't think those parents CARE about Teal's future. They care about their kids, and what happened to them. I can't say that I would be overly concerned about the drum corps' future if I were in their shoes. (And I hope that somehow Teal can rebound from this, but I am not holding my breath)

• Like 1

Like it or not here is the answer IMO - They will contact a legal team and go inactive. They will probably sell off the gear and assets and within 12 months they will be gone unless someone comes up with probably over 200k to save the group. Like me or not I looked at the books last year and to be honest they were not terrible but like any other Florida DCI corps they had zero income from other places beyond member fees and performance fees....No Bingo, No Stadium booth, No Fall band show, No winter show I mean zero!

The sad part to all of this is that DCI was told last September by many drum corps people that they do not and should not go out in 2012. The writing was on the wall all winter long with small turnouts and still no true administrative drum corps leadership. Emotions got in the way of logic and a poor decision was made at the cost of Teal Sounds long history.

However all that being said I was also informed that some of the same parents who are bashing the director and Teal have significant outstanding fees owed to the corps for tuitiion. In the future band parents if you are going to send your kids away for 60 plus days I would check and make sure all is well and see what YOU can do to be part of the solution and not the problem.

I think if the current administration at Teal had to do 2012 all over again they should have come out just before San Antonio to the end and would have been fine. They would not be the first to do so. Lets face it they would still be in the back block and this would not have changed. Top 17 was NOT going to happen and shouldn't have even been a consideration. Giving the members a good experience and safe trip should have been the goal!

Peace - JVN

• Like 7

It's already headed south, I read through some posts and they're talking about taking legal action and exposing the whole thing to the local media. Are they trying to ruin Teal now? They have a right to be upset, but if Teal wants to ever make a comeback, this is sure going to give them another black eye as far as their reputation goes, and I'm sure this is the opposite of what the kids want.... :thumbdown:

While I don't necessarily think the parents are doing the right thing, I'm pretty sure they don't care at all about Teal sound coming back. At this point they're ######, feel cheated, and are looking towards getting some kind of answers from the corps director. The longer the director and administration stays silent, the more these parents are pushed towards action, and frankly I can't really blame them.

• Like 3

Like it or not here is the answer IMO - They will contact a legal team and go inactive. They will probably sell off the gear and assets and within 12 months they will be gone unless someone comes up with probably over 200k to save the group. Like me or not I looked at the books last year and to be honest they were not terrible but like any other Florida DCI corps they had zero income from other places beyond member fees and performance fees....No Bingo, No Stadium booth, No Fall band show, No winter show I mean zero!

The sad part to all of this is that DCI was told last September by many drum corps people that they do not and should not go out in 2012. The writing was on the wall all winter long with small turnouts and still no true administrative drum corps leadership. Emotions got in the way of logic and a poor decision was made at the cost of Teal Sounds long history.

However all that being said I was also informed that some of the same parents who are bashing the director and Teal have significant outstanding fees owed to the corps for tuitiion. In the future band parents if you are going to send your kids away for 60 plus days I would check and make sure all is well and see what YOU can do to be part of the solution and not the problem.

I think if the current administration at Teal had to do 2012 all over again they should have come out just before San Antonio to the end and would have been fine. They would not be the first to do so. Lets face it they would still be in the back block and this would not have changed. Top 17 was NOT going to happen and shouldn't have even been a consideration. Giving the members a good experience and safe trip should have been the goal!

Peace - JVN

Is this the sad part? Really? I thought the sad part was the loss of the experience to the kids and the let-down that the parents feel? When did DCI become a "sad part" of this?

I have yet to see any evidence in the mission statement or bylaws of DCI that clearly states their requirement to take the tour decisions away from the director and staff. Is there a review board that meets to decide IF a corps can start its buses? Not whether they should, but whether they are allowed to or not? I'd like some confirmation of that power before I hold DCI responsible for this decision in any way. I do believe there are financial reviews done on an ad-hoc basis in order to counsel directors on the reality of their situation, and to even possibly strongly suggest that the directors reconsider their decision. But can DCI take the keys away to actually prevent a corps from going on tour and beyond their means?

I appreciate the first-hand data that JVN offers (and for authenticity I'd be more convinced of its accuracy after you PM me your credentials, JVN, if you care), but I push back at blatant blame-placing on DCI without knowing what powers they are actually given.

I also am going to be a little sympathetic to DCI due to the circumstances of their current position. It's no secret that some member corps recently wanted to take a bigger chunk out of DCI's budget for themselves (and some may argue that they accomplished that goal by having DCI dedicate funds to a whole new exclusive tour), and with the unconfirmed indications are that DCI didn't see a windfall year last year, it's reasonable to expect that data will show that funds that have been in the past directed to "corps survival efforts" are now considered better-used on corps performance improvements. In essence they argue over, and spend money on, the game of the tour to maximize profit instead of on the business of DCI. I believe that funding a "corps survival effort" is a sound business decision to ensure the long-term viability of the activity even if it sacrifices some short term performance profits.

Put yourself in Dan's position. Your getting pressure to improve the tour because it puts performance profits in the corps' pockets while, despite your sympathetic ear and desire to help, there is no (so far verified) legal requirement to PREVENT Teal from going on the road. There may be nothing more to DCI's responsibility to pay for a plane ticket for Dan to have a sit down, if that, and no overt support from other corps to devote scarce resources to commit to such an effort. Given that Dan and many others knew about the problem, it's counter-intuitive to think that a collective decsion to save the corps from failure was ignored by Dan's office. Surely, "they" talked about it as a group and decided on the action to take. Because, as we all know, the directors ARE DCI it's reasonable to think that they discussed the situation and decided on the action that Dan should officially take. If one says "DCI" is at fault one had better point many fingers at the board as well, unless it can be proven that Dan's office failed to execute a collective decision.

I think the organization would go a long way to place more emphasis on the business of DCI instead of the tour responsibilities of DCI. Yes, I understand running a successful tour is DCI's primary responsibility, more shows - less shows - whatever - but to execute a long-term plan to fulfill that obligation more emphasis needs placed on the business decisions of the leaders, not just how many and what size shows are going to happen next season. If there is something that DCI can do to help prevent corps like Teal from folding, it takes money commitment to make that happen. Especially in this time when considerable disagreement abounds about how DCI's limited budget should be shared and directed.

Until there's proof of malfeasance or incompetence, it's safe to assume that the collective of DCI decided not to save Teal from itself.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned (pardon not reading through 38 pages)

But what about all of us helping out by buying a t-shirt on their website? Kind of a flash-mob-help thingie

It won't get the corps back on the field this year but it will help in other ways!

From the parents' perspective, why should they care about Teal Sound's future?

• Like 2

But what about all of us helping out by buying a t-shirt on their website? Kind of a flash-mob-help thingie

It won't get the corps back on the field this year but it will help in other ways!

is it just putting money into the wrong hands once again...is it giving people who maybe didnt pay their tuition another oppurtunity...( to do it again ?..a huge problem )

Sad situation but a very common one..people would be shocked at some of the top 5 corps that had to play hard ball with many many members.

Things like this many times snowball in every direction.

Like how being "aware" of different diseases and problems solves them. Time and director communication will tell about the future.