Give Fans Half a Voice in Finals, Without Rules Changes

To the OP- creative thinking for sure, but I think fan vote would be terrible! Fans vote off of bias. So fewdrum corps fans out there would simply vote for the corps they marched or are attached to for whatever reason. Even if only limited to top 6, people still have bias! While I know we all want to have the most entertaining shows do well, shouldn't we also want the best teams to win as well? Not only that, but if such as system were in place no one would ever want to march in a brand new corps or semi finals caliber corps because they'd never be able to compete with the elite corps! Recruiting would be worse than it already is for finalist caliber corps and we'd have what? 6-7 corps that everyone clamors for? No thanks!! I want the activity judged fairly and evenly by those trained to do so!

Furthermore, I'm not sure anyone feels the way you do about not caring what placements are after the top six! Let me point out that Crown was 17th place in the early 00's, and Bluecoats missed finals in the late 90's. If no one cared for those corps and how they placed that wod have been tragic huh?? Instead look at how they've built their way up! Both came from being consistent finalists and I guarantee people care just as much about those corps that gave their blood sweat and tears to build what they have today! I had a student march Xmen for 7 years and aged out last year... He never got to be in finals, but i gaurentee fans will go crazy and he'll feel utmost pride if they do this year! You think people don't care about the Troopers making 12 in 09 after being absent for decades? It may not matter to you, but some if the hardest working best battles in the business have nothing to do with 1-6! I find it shameful that anyone would downgrade and downplay the accomplishment of being a finalist! I can appreciate the OP and his opinion but I'd have to say I feel like I'm most excited to watch corps 6-15 this season!! Honestly maybe that doesn't matter to some, but these kids have great products and shouldn't be ignored..... EVER!!

Wes P

Maybe there could be a 'fan choice' benefit so that if the corps that winds the most fan choice awards (or figured as a percentage of the shows they compete in...or something else...just thinking off the top) is not in finals they get to do an exhibition.

Yeah! Great idea... like the Spirit of Disney, but have it mean something.

I, respectfully, could not disagree more with the original post. Why on earth would you want to all of the sudden bring a second standard of evaluation into the mix? It is hard enough for creative staffs to put together shows that meet the competative standards of evaluation and also entertain the crowd. Now you are asking them to roll the dice and choose a standard based on where they think they might be after prelims. No way in my book is that a fair expectation.

I am also in the corner with the poster that stated we, as fans, get to vote with our feet. If we don't like a corps' choices, we go get a dog. If we don't like DCI's rules of evaluation that lead to the creative products we see, we don't go to the show. Enough people vote with their feet...things change. We as fans should not be involved in the evaluation process. It's hard enough to figure out the way it is.

Just my two cents.

Dan

• Like 1

I say keep it the way it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it

I agree. If we look at the baseball analogy stated in the OP, fans voting for all-star team players is mentioned. For me, a show like Allentown is the All-Star Game. It's fun, great performances, nostalgic venue, etc. but DCI finals is like the World series--it determines the champion and the best corps being more competitive as the night goes on is half the fun.

Perhaps prelims at a show on Day 1 and a finals with six top placers, six fan favorites on Day 2 would be an interesting idea, but not to determine a champion.

BTW: I know DCI East at Allentown is sacred ground. I'm not suggesting we do anything different there!

The reason for my thinking was how to possibly make drum corps more popular with general audiences to substantially increase attendance to solidify DCI's financial condition. What is DCI trying to sell to it's audience? Entertainment. So, to maximize the fan base, beyond the current small cadre of ex-members, parents and friends, DCI's product should be entertaining to as many people in the general public as possible. That's where the potential new fans are.

I've read where some instructors, who are educators in many instances, refer to their corps members as "students". Could this be a problem when deciding what material to perform? About 15 years ago I remember reading a top instructor's comments (I honestly can't remember who it was) who said, in effect that, "We're so good, anything we do is entertaining." If you think that's true, try going to a shopping mall and stopping a bunch of teens and start playing Beethoven's 5th and ask them if they think it's entertaining. Sophistication and great musicianship do not necessarily equal entertainment.

Entertainment is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. And DCI needs more people in the seats. As David Kampshroer said a few decades ago, even then the corps began trying to sell champagne to a beer audience. That's not a strategy for economic success. Two corps have stopped touring in the past week, the Racine Scouts and Teal Sound. These difficult economic times mean businesses must do everything in their power to keep their current customers and attract new ones. So, I was just trying to think of a way to give the fans some input as to what type of material they find most entertaining. By splitting the finals entrants between the fans and judges choices, you're assured of getting both the most technically proficient corps and the most entertaining corps, some or most of which will be the same. That should be a plus for DCI, the corps, and fans.

• Like 1

I'm thinking that entry into finals probably shouldn't be left to the fans for various reasons.

However, a fan SMS vote for "Fan's Choice" award at each show would be KILLER. Real time voting incentivizes fans to participate AND provides an opportunity for show sponsors to get fans opted-in to receiving further marketing messages. You could even charge $0.05 per vote to discourage spamming.

Come on, show sponsors! Do it!

WGI does this now. I agree it would be a cool thing for DCI to do as well.

So when gymnastics and diving occur in the Olympics in a couple of weeks we should let the crowd vote?

My suggestion would be to bring in Howie, Sharon and Howard