Blue Devils on top...really?

The fans speak after each BD performance...& the silence is deafening.

This is a very old argument and as long as any corps is dominant, sitting on hands (or worse) will remain the presumed way to balance the scale. Having said that, I think it's waaay too early to....hmmmm "Crown BD"! This competition involves many things, including design and performance (which can only get better from this point), so let's hope that the top 4 continue to battle it out all the way to Indy and in that way...everyone wins (particularly, the fans)!

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 2

hmmm, it was refreshing when the crowd and DCI judges were on the same page but we're back to the twilight zone in 2012 I suppose.

All I ask is BD form one or two recognizable patterns and move in them for a few counts so we can see if they really can do that before

the GE Visual drone gives them a 20.

I get what you're saying. I'm pretty certain that BD could do that and execute it flawlessly. I'm also certain that they could perform Crown's or Cadets show note for note and page for page of drill ..... But it wouldn't be "them". Crown and Cadets could do BD's show too, but it wouldn't be "them". And I wouldn't care to see either!! What I CAN see is that BD is now doing what Cadets did many years ago ..... There were many who didn't care for the Cadets esoteric design in the mid 80's. I appreciated it even though I didn't get it. I also appreciated it because it WAS different. I wasn't crazy about a couple of BD shows these last few years, but I really like this one. I wish people could just forget placements and just try to enjoy the show ....... Without saying who their bathroom corps is.

Edited by bdlykdad

I personally respect all the Blue Devils do. When it comes to thinking outside the box and putting on a show they have definitely found a way to do that. The problem comes when we try to define was difficulty is and how the judges interpret that. In the end everything is laid down to interpretation.

This. I love the Blue Devils show this year but it's hard to judge at some points. There's a big difference between having an entire corps do unison body work, and having free form movement. In unison, a person slightly off is noticeable and the scores can and will reflect that (box 5 means EVERYONE), but in a free form blob, there's no set definition, so the corps can't be hurt by it. There's a time and place for it (opening of this year's BD show is perfect), but multiple times almost seem lazy, as in "well, you can't judge this form, this one, and this one because they're blobs representing the corps kookiness". That said, I will be happy to see anybody win if their show is engaging, and the top 4 all meet this quality.

• Like 2

Maybe it was the echo in the rafters I heard in 2009 when they got booed at Finals after winning.

2009 is my favorite show BD has put on the field! Pretty sure they EARNED the gold medals

• Like 3

The big question is not why the Blue Devils are (and will continue to) win, the big question is why this makes people angry enough to write pages and pages of venom. Some art I like, some I don't, but the emotion is just...well...over the top.

The second big question is why I continue to read a thread that begins with "I just got back from Rockford. It was a great show, but the lowlight for me was the Blue Devils show. In my opinion, it was by far the least audience engaging show of the night. They went on first, and I liked all the shows that followed better. And the the judges put them in first by a comfortable margin? IThey sounded like they were back to bleeps and blops which the judges apparently still eat up. Play a frickin melody that will leave me humming to myself after the show."

As a psychologist it's time to have my head examined.

And time to adjust the blood pressure medicine for the run to the world championships. Oh, and my kid is having the best drum corps summer of his life and reports that his sleep is unbothered by comments on DCP.

• Like 6

If DCI has reverted to it being all about clean and not about content or demand then maybe it's time for the tick system...

I enjoy seeing demand as well as performance.

I cannot speak on BD's show this year as I havent seen them live.

Edited by SACMellos2010
  • Like 1

Devils have amassed a great deal of haters because of their undeniable track record of success. Not every show has to end with people standing up and screaming. Sometimes, a show can be high art, engaging, or simply really cool without driving people to a frenzy.

People the want an audience applause meter clearly think movies like Saving Private Ryan, The Back Swan, Inception, The Artist, The King's Speech were all crap because they didn't elicit the correct response. You can have a drum corps show that evokes a different kind of response. If "the masses" miss the point, fine. That doesn't make an intellectual program bad. It just means the masses didn't get it.

Then again, the masses aren't judging. And before anyone says "we judge with our wallet", I'm pretty sure Devils souvie sails aren't exactly slumping the last few years.

This is very well put. However, I would only suggest that the term "not getting it" doesn't always elicit the best reaction around DCP. And it's really not accurate. I know from experience that any suggestion (on DCP) that the designers/corps have put something on the field that requires focus, intellectual prowess or some other form of mental aquitiy is never met with positive responses, and it shouldn't. I, for one, don't feel any of those are necessary to enjoy what BD is designing. Like you, I recognize that some of the best movies, etc don't always resolve the way that our nature would anticipate or even desire....boy gets the girl, bad guys die and all things are as they should be in the end. In short, irony, dissonance, disjointed and odd all have a place in DC design... as long as it fits the theme and is executed perfectly (or as close as possible). In fact, random in BD designs is not random at all...but carefully and surgically orchestrated and performed.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

If DCI has reverted to it being all about clean and not about content or demand then maybe it's time for the tick system...

I enjoy seeing demand as well as performance.

I cannot speak on BD's show this year as I havent seen them live.

demand is only half the equation. performance is the other half.

If you are doing the most demanding stuff dirty then why should you get credit? If it's too demanding for the corps to do clean then the score should reflect that.

I'm all for demand, but unless you can clean it demand is just dirty hard crap, and until Crown can acheive (yes acheivement is on the sheets) that demand they will never catch a corps who is acheiving their demand.

I have mentioned this before, but BD is like "Waiting for Godot" in a competition full of shows like "West Side Story". They are profound, intellectual and polarizing. I do think their approach may get more credit by the judges then maybe some people think they deserve. I also think the difference between Crown and BD is that BD is completely changing the approach to a show to a WGI type staged event with not as much drill and not very many sustained thoughts, while Crown is expanding on the established memes to tell a story which is much more readable and understandable by the average fan.

I think Crown has the better show and has had the better show since 2009. However I think this year they are shooting themselves in the foot by attempting drill that no drum corps will ever be able to clean.

• Like 1