Blue Devils on top...really?

If I am recalling the show correctly, there are two passages that include voice. The first, at the beginning of the show, is in French, and is really more of a sound effect than it is narration. I like that one, it adds flavor to the moment, and is effective.

The other is the explanation of Dada, and is in English. That's the one most folks object to, and I have to agree. We really don't need the explanation, and the voice sample itself is very monotone (it sounds like it's from some sort of interview or lecture). You either get Dada or you don't, and in the true Dada spirit, does it matter either way?

For everyone's reference:

Voice, including samples, in Blue Devils’ Cabaret Voltaire

Transcription and times based on the Minneapolis v.o.d. on the Fan Network:

(1) Call and response – 15 seconds (0:21-0:35) – as follows:

Sample: sung: “Eh-eh-eh-eh-eh”; spoken: "Everybody!”

Live: unison sung: “Eh-eh-eh-eh-eh.”

Sample: spoken: “Ah-ha”; sung: “Eh-eh-eh-eh-eh”; spoken: “Everybody! Everybody! Everybody! Everybody!” (fades)

(2) Sample: spoken French – 63 seconds (0:53-1:55)

(3) Sample: shouts/chants, overlaps above – 12 seconds (1:06-1:08; 1:12-1:14; 1:26-1:28; 1:42-1:44)

(4) Sample: spoken German – 36 seconds (2:41-3:16)

(5) Sample: overlapping speech – 19 seconds (3:41-3:59)

(6) Live: unison shout – 1 second (5:18): “Dada!”

(7) Sample: spoken English (French accent) – 27 seconds (5:38-6:04) – as follows:

“Modern art still has this Da element of irony, which makes it impossible for a modern artist to create naively. He has to attach to his work some forms of irony or resentment or product of his thinking, which in a way, neutralize the purely aesthetic effect. I think this is a very essential and basic problem of Dada.”

(8) Samples: overlapping speech and song – 27 seconds (10:12-10:38)

(9) Sample: spoken English (French accent; two different speakers?) – 23 seconds (11:38-12:00) – as follows:

“Mechanization, technology where the forces of life where the […indistinguishable words….] If Dada is something that through or with the help of aesthetic elements, tries to define the situation of man in our time, then in my opinion, Dada is still alive … is still alive … is still alive.” (echo)

(10) spoken English, partially overlaps above – 7 seconds – (11:54-12:00), as follows:

“Dada … Dada … Dada … Dada.” (echo)

Corrections welcome!

OK - first off - this "BD victim complex" is getting old. I don't hate Devils - I hate, or at least don't appreciate, what they're doing on the field THIS YEAR. If they throw the audio clips in the trash next year - it will go a long way toward me liking them next year. People can not like what they're doing and not be "haters"...

Second thing - stop saying "haters". It's a word 13 year old girls use to describe anyone that's not infatuated with Justin Beiber... :tongue:

I agree with everything you said, but please, don't be hating on the haters that hate ya hater yo

:tongue:

(7) Sample: spoken English (French accent) – 27 seconds (5:38-6:04) – as follows:

“Modern art still has this Da element of irony, which makes it impossible for a modern artist to create naively. He has to attach to his work some forms of irony or resentment or product of his thinking, which in a way, neutralize the purely aesthetic effect. I think this is a very essential and basic problem of Dada.”

:doh: Those clever ######## :devil:

• Like 1

The fans speak after each BD performance...& the silence is deafening.

That's what I don't get ... fans just seem to politely applaud the Blue Devils. Big hands all around for Crown and Madison at the two show’s I’ve been to. With the new judge’s sheets with the emphasis on entertainment this year, I don’t see how BD is winning all these shows by the wide margin in ALL captions that they are. Ok, I’d give them several of the captions, but all of them?

I get that the judges have been trained by Michael Cesanario, but Mike is this going the way you thought it would?

Ok, BD is clean, but come on judges a clean sweep in ALL captions. IMO there are several corps that are out entertaining BD this year. With the new scoring sheets how can you ignore the fan reactions?

Of course this is DCI and judging has been messed up for a long time! Mike I hope you can get your money back on that new score sheet you sold … it’s a FAIL in my book.

• Like 3

That's what I don't get ... fans just seem to politely applaud the Blue Devils. Big hands all around for Crown and Madison at the two show's I've been to. With the new judge's sheets with the emphasis on entertainment this year, I don't see how BD is winning all these shows by the wide margin in ALL captions that they are. Ok, I'd give them several of the captions, but all of them?

I get that the judges have been trained by Michael Cesanario, but Mike is this going the way you thought it would?

Ok, BD is clean, but come on judges a clean sweep in ALL captions. IMO there are several corps that are out entertaining BD this year. With the new scoring sheets how can you ignore the fan reactions?

Of course this is DCI and judging has been messed up for a long time! Mike I hope you can get your money back on that new score sheet you sold … it's a FAIL in my book.

Personally, I would love to see that portion of the 'new' judging sheets, but they don't seem to be shown on the recaps....sounds fishy to me.

• Like 1

That's what I don't get ... fans just seem to politely applaud the Blue Devils. Big hands all around for Crown and Madison at the two show’s I’ve been to. With the new judge’s sheets with the emphasis on entertainment this year, I don’t see how BD is winning all these shows by the wide margin in ALL captions that they are. Ok, I’d give them several of the captions, but all of them?

Of course this is DCI and judging has been messed up for a long time! Mike I hope you can get your money back on that new score sheet you sold … it’s a FAIL in my book.

Shhh! They are judged on the Tick system.

If I am recalling the show correctly, there are two passages that include voice. The first, at the beginning of the show, is in French, and is really more of a sound effect than it is narration. I like that one, it adds flavor to the moment, and is effective.

The other is the explanation of Da Da, and is in English. That's the one most folks object to, and I have to agree. We really don't need the explanation, and the voice sample itself is very monotone (it sounds like it's from some sort of interview or lecture). You either get Da Da or you don't, and in the true Da Da spirit, does it matter either way?

The average Joe has no clue what is happening during the narration. AT SOS, I heard many folks around me basically asking "WTH?".