Blue Devils on top...really?

Judges evaluate the corps using the criteria and direction they are provided by DCI. If DCI wants a wholesale change in how corps are evaluated, then the judges would be given those new criteria and directions, and they would judge the corps based on those items.

A lot of the DCI judges also judge in various band circuits, each with different criteria, so I don't think they would have a problem adjusting if DCI wanted a change.

True, but I think the wording or interpretation of "audience engagement" is missing the mark. I think overall last year was a better year in the stands than this year is looking to be. Just my opinion.

True, but I think the wording or interpretation of "audience engagement" is missing the mark. I think overall last year was a better year in the stands than this year is looking to be. Just my opinion.

If that is true, it doesn't necessarily point at the judges being the problem, it may also be that the explanation and training on the new sheets was not done well. Not saying that this is or isn't true...just an 'if'....

What I was responding to was this...

True story. Maybe it's time we look at the way things are judged, and find either a new system, or a more defined system? Or maybe just new judges. We can change the sheets all that DCI wants, but until the people reading the sheets change, I honestly don't think that any kind of change could be done. It would be like changing how Congress votes and holds its meetings, but keeping all of the members the same.

Much like 2009, BD's show has half the difficulty of Crown's show. In DCI, cleanliness wins, innovation and difficulty do not. Which is ironic, because that was the whole reason for leaving the tick system in 1984 in the first place: the tick system was crushing the corps trying to do cool new things in favor of simpler shows that were cleaner. And here we are again.

Really? I have to disagree. BD had an incredibly difficult program that year - I Got Rhythm and the Closer especially from an ensemble standpoint and Copland's Variations especially from an individual standpoint.

Same thing this year, although Crown's program is much more challenging than 2009.

• Like 1

If that is true, it doesn't necessarily point at the judges being the problem, it may also be that the explanation and training on the new sheets was not done well. Not saying that this is or isn't true...just an 'if'....

What I was responding to was this...

...which is why I said "wording or interpretation". To be fair I perhaps should have said "and/or". Either way, for me the shows this year, with the exception of SCV, are either just even or below the entertainment value of last year, if that is indeed the intent of the wording.

But dude, running around in circles dragging a coatrack with a horsey head IS state of the art

I actually like their music this year which, is my priority so I don’t mind their show even if the visual does little for me. The hula hoops are cool though

Their ensemble visual is not what I want from a drum corps show – I prefer disciplined lines, transitions and readable formations. You know, marching ! Their visual seems really out of place with in the context of a D/C show, which I guess is their theme but imagine a world where all the shows did that sort of ‘drill’. Yep, I wouldn’t want to see that…but it’s only 1 corps out of many, so, whatever.

I think Blue Devils saw they were slipping behind with traditional drill, couldn’t keep up with Cavalier or Cadets in the early to mid 00s so they gamed the system and now do this fake drill of running from prop to prop or individual dance movement nonsense and like Dada, they put a sign on the toilet and call it art. And DCI agreed

Bravo

I don’t care much about their placement, but after trying to explain to my friend why they won the Rockford show he drove me to, he said it best and most simply….’it’s a real creditability issue for DCI if no one can figure out why that’s a winning show’

And it is

• Like 5

Visuals are for people who watch Empty Vee.

Drum corps killed the concert band star?

Judges evaluate the corps using the criteria and direction they are provided by DCI. If DCI wants a wholesale change in how corps are evaluated, then the judges would be given those new criteria and directions, and they would judge the corps based on those items.

A lot of the DCI judges also judge in various band circuits, each with different criteria, so I don't think they would have a problem adjusting if DCI wanted a change.

and DCI is the corps themselves.

the wording is right as it should be.

I'll say it again, just a little louder

ENGAGEMENT DOES NOT MEAN THE FANS HAVE TO THROW BABIES ON THE FIELD OR ERUPT IN MASSIVE APPLAUSE.

Better?