TROOPERS! Where are you?

Morris and Ottoes have some tough decisions to make in the next few weeks here...seems pretty blatantly obvious that David Reeves and whoever wrote that drill should be out of their jobs. After tonights performance it looks like Troop may really be on the cusp of not making the Friday night show if these trends continue.

[/u]

You really think they're going to fall all the way to 25th and not make the Friday show? I doubt that very much.

Troopers should hold ALL rehearsals in Salt Lake City.

It is centrally located in the west, equal distance from Seattle, SF, LA, Phoenix, Denver, etc.

Has an airport that is a major hub and services several budget airlines.

Loads and loads of band kids there who would definitely participate if it was more local.

There are incredible facilities available out there, all you really need to do is ask.

Community support for music programs is probably the best in the country (not necessarily in cash, but involvement).

It is sort of a no-brainer.

I believe that a bunch of the corps is from Texas, hence having camps and such there. Also, much better weather in the winter. I could see maybe having all-days in Salt Lake, perhaps but that might be too far away from the start of their tour. Maybe if they get back onto doing the western tour first.

Edited by BroncoTrooper

I believe that a bunch of the corps is from Texas, hence having camps and such there. Also, much better weather in the winter. I could see maybe having all-days in Salt Lake, perhaps but that might be too far away from the start of their tour. Maybe if they get back onto doing the western tour first.

The Utah idea, especially if there is a western tour, is interesting.

However, I loved being able to work with some great alums and parents to feed the corps at the Texas camps this past year, and I really, really hope we get to do it again. The facility at Waller HS was excellent.

• Like 1

You really think they're going to fall all the way to 25th and not make the Friday show? I doubt that very much.

Sorry, I thought the semis number was 22. I think that if things continue they way they're going they could be beaten by 3 or 4 Open Class corps and drop as low as 22 or 23... I would say it's not completely crazy to say that Surf or Mandarins couldn't catch up to them, but who knows until everyone is at the same show.

I feel bad for the troopers members that are force fed the Dave Reeves kool-aid and are then disappointed when their "superior in all ways" product fails to succeed competitively or with the DCI fans.

I feel bad for the troopers members that are force fed the Dave Reeves kool-aid and are then disappointed when their "superior in all ways" product fails to succeed competitively or with the DCI fans.

I can understand that, but I think I will wait a season or two more before calling for the design teams' collective heads. Every team is going to have an off year where the fans just don't "get it" or the show just doesn't show up well competitively (See: Cavaliers, 2012). It could be argued that there are similarities between this year and 2010, but to be fair, 2010 was a different design team whose hearts didn't really seem to be "in it" for that particular season.

Just my .02 on that particular topic.

Well, they 'embraced their heritage' many times over the years and placed lower than they did in 2010 and 2011....their lowest placing ever is a show that was more "pure Trooper" than even the late 60's/early 70's.

But you missed the central point here, Mike, imo..... that is, when the Troopers placed low in some of those years, their show still got the fans on their feet as the show was entertaining and as you said " pure Troopers ". Is this 2012 Troopers show that is called " The Theatre " bringing fans spontaneously to their feet at the end of the show in enthusiastic applause for their Troopers " modern style " show ? Does this evoke the " pure Troopers " ethos and vibe ? Unfortunately, I'd have to say " no " on both accounts here, MikeD...... Even the judges believe that their modern show design attempt is a last place ( 10th last nite ) General Effect Visual production.

Edited by BRASSO

I can understand that, but I think I will wait a season or two more before calling for the design teams' collective heads. Every team is going to have an off year where the fans just don't "get it" or the show just doesn't show up well competitively (See: Cavaliers, 2012). It could be argued that there are similarities between this year and 2010, but to be fair, 2010 was a different design team whose hearts didn't really seem to be "in it" for that particular season.

Just my .02 on that particular topic.

I agree for everything except percussion. Reeves and Welborn's team was beaten (with a decent spread, mind you) by Blue Devils B last year. If I were Fred Morris that would be completely unacceptable and changes would have to be made especially with how things are going so far this year...although I wouldn't have even given them the opportunity for this year, especially after watching a rehearsal and seeing first hand why things were so rough.

• Like 1

I agree for everything except percussion. Reeves and Welborn's team was beaten (with a decent spread, mind you) by Blue Devils B last year. If I were Fred Morris that would be completely unacceptable and changes would have to be made especially with how things are going so far this year...although I wouldn't have even given them the opportunity for this year, especially after watching a rehearsal and seeing first hand why things were so rough.

As good of a businessman as Fred is, I would bet he'll get it fixed. I have every confidence in him both as a fan of DCI in general as well as a Trooper alumni. There are so many things that flow "beneath the surface" that we just can't know everything.

You are right though, an World Class corps such as the Troopers should not be beaten by an Open Class such as BDB (and I mean absolutely no slight to them).

The central conceit of the argument seems to be that Troopers are not capable of being truly competitive, and should just give it up and be "authentic" so people are entertained. I strongly disagree with that. There is a good potential within the organization to make major leaps competitively.

I think the concept of the Troopers doing an "authentic" show and getting great crowd responses even though the corps wasn't very good in a given year is mostly myth, anyway. I remember performing in and watching lots of authentic shows, where the corps ended up placing between 17th and 22nd at the end of the season, that got only polite applause at best. There are exceptions, the oft-noted 1983 for instance. But there aren't many.

Edited by troopers1
  • Like 1

But you missed the central point here, Mike, imo..... that is, when the Troopers placed low in some of those years, their show still got the fans on their feet as the show was entertaining and as you said " pure Troopers ". Is this 2012 Troopers show that is called " The Theatre " bringing fans spontaneously to their feet at the end of the show in enthusiastic applause for their Troopers " modern style " show ? Does this evoke the " pure Troopers " ethos and vibe ? Unfortunately, I'd have to say " no " on both accounts here, MikeD...... Even the judges believe that their modern show design attempt is a last place ( 10th last nite ) General Effect Visual production.

I was responding to this...

funny. the last time they truly embraced their heritage was the last time they made finals in 2009.

I think the concept of the Troopers doing an "authentic" show and getting great crowd responses even though the corps wasn't very good in a given year is mostly myth. I remember performing in and watching lots of authentic shows, where the corps ended up placing between 17th and 22nd at the end of the season, that got only polite applause at best.

There are exceptions, the oft-noted 1983 for instance. But there aren't many.

There can be little joy in placing at or near the bottom in competition. The only thing that might be worse for all the hard work, sweat and toil would be to place low in competition AND have a show that does not connect with audiences very well. Such an enterprise does not lead to future morale boost unless a fundamental change in that direction is made. If some friendly advice here for the Troopers to change their future show design falls on deaf ears and they believe that the road they are on will lead to better off season talent pool attraction, better future placement results, and better audience response to their show from coast to coast, then by all means they should keep on doing exactly what they are doing in show design in hopes that it'll bring better results in the future. I think that'd be a sad and foolish mistake, but I wish them well whatever they decide this offseason.

Edited by BRASSO